cheapest way to mount a picture and have it look nice?

I have this 10x30 picture that I took that I'm pretty proud of. I'd like to hang it up in my house. I don't want to spend a lot. I think to get it framed would be much more than I'm looking to spend. Is there other alternatives that will look nice but won't cost an arm and a leg?

An idea:

1) Pick out a stock frame from a big box store of youre choice, or get an older frame from a second hand sale

2) Go to an art, photo or framing store and the the matte board yourself

3) Using a box cutter and ruler carefully measure, cut and frame it yourself

I haven't looked all that hard but it seems like 10x30 frames are hard to come by.

Has anyone ever used framesbymail.com?

DIY store is probably going to get you the results that will make you happiest. Scouring Garage Sales would be cheapest.

I have never used www.FramesbyMail.com

A lot of craft stores(Hobby lobby, Michaels MJDesigns, etc.) have do it yourself frame kits that allow you to custom fit a frame to your picture. I don't remember the cost involved, but I seem to remember them being a lot cheaper than having a frame professionally made.

What MeatPuppet said. I framed a few odd-sized photos that way and the cost ended up being in the $40-60 range. Way cheaper than a frame shop.

Get the frame kit, backing board, and matting from an art store and the piece of glass cut from a hardware store.

sounds odd, but head to TJ Max and buy some pre-packaged art that has a frame (black are usually best) that you like. Last time I was there, I picked up a 30x40" for $60 and two 15x30" for $35 each (this includes frame, glass). When I get home, I tear off the paper backing and pull the artwork/matte out and then put the print in. I've seen some nice pano frames on occasion in the range you are looking for. I'll typically stock up on the frame and then print according to the size I have.
    Last edited by k trials; 04-17-2007 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by k trials View Post
    sounds odd, but head to TJ Max and buy some pre-packaged art that has a frame (black are usually best) that you like. Last time I was there, I picked up a 30x40" for $60 and two 15x30" for $35 each (this includes frame, glass). When I get home, I tear off the paper backing and pull the artwork/matte out and then put the print in. I've seen some nice pano frames on occasion in the range you are looking for. I'll typically stock up on the frame and then print according to the size I have.
    Dfinn: Big Lots in Noho has a lot of stuff like that. That might be the ticket.

Another cheap option is to use clip frames. Any art supply or frame shop should have them. There's several different styles and you can get them in either plastic or metal (the metal ones seem to chip/score/crack the glass more).
    Get some foamcore board and a can of 3M Super77 adhesive spray, both available from art supply/frame shops.
    Cut the foamcore to 10x30 (or the exact dimensions of the photo) with a brand new razor blade (has to be sharp or you take small chunks of the foam out of the board).
    Spray the back of the photo with the Super77. Use a roller or a glove on your hand and carefully press the photo onto the foamcore (be careful to get it lined up right, the Super77 is very sticky and hard to pull up).
    Get a piece of glass cut to the size you need and then put your clip frame on (I would reccomend spending an extra dollar or 2 and getting Conservation Clear or other UV protectant glass, it will keep your photo from turning yellow). The whole thing should run you about $15-20.

If you chose to go with matting, then just get bigger foam core/glass, etc. and have a frame shop cut the mat for you (mat cutting sucks and looks like shit unless you have the right tools and experience). Matting will about double the above cost since you're paying for mat, mat cutting and larger foamcore/glass/clips. Also, if you really want a traditional frame, Nielsons frames makes pre-cut metal frames available in almost any size.
    Last edited by Storm11; 04-17-2007 at 12:58 PM.

Thanks for all the options everyone.

Dromond, I'll definitely check that out. My GF loves junk stores like that so it shouldn't be hard to send her over there looking for what I need.

dont really even bother to try to cut the mat as mentioned

along the lines of spray adhesive, they make an adhesive heat activated film which is even better because its not sticky until its heated.

position it exactly where you want, put down another peice of mat or a cloth, and use your hosehold iron to get it to stick. its also designed not to degrade your photo with weird acids or bases etc.

regarding frames, just dont get a 10x30, get something larger, and dont frame it dead center. Ive always preferred to "bottom weight" my photos and leave a bit more mat showing below the photo than above. its all preference though.

That's called Dry Mount film, and it is waaaaaaaaay better than the sprays.