Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

In-Resort Touring with or without a Lift Pass

Here's everything I've got so far... comments/corrections/additions will be added as appropriate:
    (updated: 4/18/07)

----California----
    MAMMOTH:
    "Mammoth does not allow uphill hiking (from Mammoth forums)" -hutash

----Colorado----
    ARAPAHOE BASIN:
    "You are welcomed to use the area before and after hours permitted you stay within the boundaries while using the area ... During hours, you may also hike/skin/snowshoe up the mountain ... we typically don't permit hiking during early or late season ... [check] with guest services or patrol on the current status ..." (full_text) -ski area rep

ASPEN:
    "All of our mountains allow uphilling, both before operating hours and during (except Aspen). At Highlands you are not allowed above the Merry Go Round after 9:00am. On Aspen, you need to be above Ajax Express by 8:00am. At Buttermilk we ask that you use the designated route on the main face. No restrictions at Snowmass." (full_text) -ski area rep

BEAVER CREEK, SKI COOOPER:
    "This season I have skinned ... Beaver Creek, Ski Cooper, [and a bunch of others] without a lift ticket and a baby in a backpack" -telemike

BRECKENRIDGE:
    Anyone can hike up the mountain at anytime, this is forest service land. The resort has no liability if you do this..." (full_text) -ski area rep

COPPER:
    "Yes, we allow people to skin up to the gate on West Ten Mile trail that leads to Janet's Cabin. We also allow people who present their registration letter from the Hut system to ride both Kokomo and Lumberjack lifts to acces the same gate. ... access to the "Closed" ski area during off seaon periods and night time hours is prohibited ... and is in violation of the Colorado Skier Safety Act." (full_text) -ski area rep

CRESTED BUTTE:
    "Uphill traffic must be limited to specific trails [see links] ... If participants hear the sound of explosives, it is mandatory to begin descent as soon as possible. Descending trails are the same as ascending routes. All uphill travel must cease by 9:00 A.M." (full_text) (attach1) (attach2) -ski area rep

ELDORA:
    "Eldora Mountain Resort does not allow uphill access pre or post operating hours, nor do we allow uphill access during operating hours. ... the entire base area of the resort is "private property" not National Forest Service land therefore accessing the ski area through the base area would technically be trespassing. With that being said we do provide access to the Forest Trail "Jenny Creek" though our base area and beginner hill." (full_text) -ski area rep

STEAMBOAT:
    Skiers (and snowshoers) are allowed uphill access. We ask that they stop by the Info Center (in Gondola Square) for a free Uphill Access Pass (... you can download the gondola ... ). (full_text) -ski area rep

WINTER PARK:
    "Winter Season: Guests on touring skis can access the mountain as long as they don't try to use the upper mountain lifts. ... If patrol encounters someone at sweep time, we will ask that they proceed to the base ... After we have completed sweep, they may again access the mountain...
    Summer Season: Guests ... must stay on trails that are open and designated for hiking.
    Off Season: We close the mountain to all guest access. ... The one exception is that the bike trails are accessible for the month of September." (full_text) -ski area rep

VAIL:
    "You can go up and down Vail all you want because its a forest service lease. I skin up 2 or 3 days a week just because." -Rippinsick

WOLF CREEK:
    "Wolf Creek, co is also forest service land, no restrictions" -rvski
    "I thought uphill travel was prohibited since you access it from private land?? I remember seeing signs at the Alberta lift." -homerjay

----Michigan----
    BOYNE:
    "Boyne will let you during business hours if you have a lift ticket (private property)." -easyrdr

MOUNT BOHEMIA:
    "Bohemia is totally off limits as well although the trees provide a nice cover" -easyrdr

----Montana----
    BIG MOUNTAIN:
    "We just called Big Mountain to find out if they would let us skin to the top with our dog and they said "Sure, just keep him on a leash."." -asheanMT
    "big mtn sees alot of uphill traffic. after they close hike to the top, ski the back, hike to the top, ski the front." -cpokwdwh

BRIDGER:
    "Bridger doesn't allow skinning up while the lifts are running. If they see you they will tell you to get to the other side of the area boundary rope. I've skied back down inbounds with a dog a couple of times and no one complained, but I'm sure its not allowed. You can skin bridger other times though, and you'll have company." -corn dog

----New Hampshire----
    BRETTON WOODS, CANNON:
    "My anecdotal experience has been that bretton woods, cannon, ... have been skinner-friendly. Not sure about the "official" policies though..." -backcountryben

GUNSTOCK:
    "I skinned up Gunstock this winter ... I was stopped by a patrol, and asked not to go to the summit, only because they were grooming above where she stopped me." -danhikeski

---Oregon---
    BACHELOR:
    "Bachelor is cool with it." -steepconcrete

MT HOOD MEADOWS, TIMBERLINE, SKI BOWL:
    "Mt Hood Meadows, Timberline, and Ski Bowl in Oregon all allow up hill touring whenever (it's FS land)." -ptavv

---Utah---
    ALTA:
    "feel free to ski" -ski area rep

BRIGHTON:
    "Most of our area is Forest Service and you are allowed to use it anytime it does NOT interfer with our work on the hill." -ski area rep

Snowbird:
    "... we allow ski touring before and after hours as long as you are not in an Avalanche-Closed area. ..." (full_text) -ski area rep

---Vermont---
    KILLINGTON:
    "The ski trails are closed to public access outside of our operating hours." (full_text) -ski area rep
    "I've personally skinned up killington several times during operating hours on open trails. I've also seen others doing the same." -backcountryben

STOWE, JAY:
    "My anecdotal experience has been that ... stowe, and jay have been skinner-friendly. Not sure about the "official" policies though..." -backcountryben

---Washington---
    CRYSTAL, ALPENTAL, STEVENS: (where I learned to ski)
    "Crystal and Alpental are the same deal [allow up hill touring whenever (it's FS land)]. I think Stevens is as well." -ptavv
    "FYI, Crystal Patrol is "not cool with this" according to a response Snoslut rec'd while ascending. I believe they are fine with uphill touring provided you are accessing via the approach to Silver Basin or using alternate routes that access the areas to the looker's left of Silver Basin" -Squirrel99

---West Verginia---
    TIMBERLINE, CANAAN VALLEY:
    "I and many others have skinned/hiked up Timberline in WV after they close to ski ... I've even called them and asked before, and was told, 'sure, come on up.. no ones gonna bother you'. Im pretty sure the Canaan Valley ski area a few miles away also allows it since its a state park." -JGB

---Wisconsin---
    CHRISTIE MOUNTAIN: (where I learned to ski)
    "Christie Mt. is not available other than open hours because of liability issues. A lift ticket is required." (full_text) -ski area rep

---Canada---
    I realize Canada isn't a state... I might break these up later.

FERNIE:
    "Fernie is cool with it as far as I know (cat crew assisted in my journey to the top with dog in tow)" -easyrdr

KICKING HORSE:
    "Kicking Horse also was cool with it the two times I did it." -easyrdr

SUNSHINE VILLAGE:
    "As we are in a national park we have to by the terms of our lease “allow people to pass freely over the land” ... we sweep the hill every night ... We consider the slopes closed at this time ... We also offer a Backcountry ticket which is good for a gondola ride and one lift to help get folks a head start on their tour." (full text) -ski area rep
    "sunshine village didnt seem to mind. they also invited our dogs onto the hill" -mtaylor

Still waiting on responses from: JH, Big Sky, Baker, Beaver Creek, Vail, Alta, Brighton, Park City, Snowbird, Wolf Creek
    (I'll try to add/revise as appropriate)
    Last edited by bedtime4bonzos; 09-25-2007 at 01:14 PM. Reason: added some stuff...
    Feel the rhythm... feel the rhyme...

nice job. thanks for the info
    Wagner Custom Skis
    Powder snow skiing is not fun. It’s life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality. What we experience in powder is the original human self, which lies deeply inside each of us, still undamaged in spite of what our present culture tries to do to us. Once experienced, this kind of living is recognized as the only way to live–fully aware of the earth and the sky and the gods and you, the mortal, playing among them. Dolores LaChapelle

awesome..
    which ski areas did you email with no response yet?

[thread hijack]I'd like to take this chance to point out to all the noobs and lurkers out there who may register soon that THIS thread is an excellent example of how to gain some props around here. bonzo is bringing some quality here without the attitude or spray. Is it really that hard not to be a dick your first go around? [/hijack]

Great stuff mang. Welcome to the party.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

Mammoth does not allow uphill hiking (from Mammoth forums)

Quote Originally Posted by powstash View Post
    [thread hijack]I'd like to take this chance to point out to all the noobs and lurkers out there who may register soon that THIS thread is an excellent example of how to gain some props around here. bonzo is bringing some quality here without the attitude or spray. Is it really that hard not to be a dick your first go around? [/hijack]

Great stuff mang. Welcome to the party.
    Agreed - Well played...JONG

We just called Big Mountain to find out if they would let us skin to the top with our dog and they said "Sure, just keep him on a leash.".

Yep Big Mountain is totally chill, I took my dog up there all the time.

Boyne-will let you during business hours if you have a lift ticket (private property).

Bohemia-is totally off limits as well although the trees provide a nice cover

Fernie is cool with it as far as I know (cat crew assisted in my journey to the top with dog in tow )

Kicking Horse also was cool with it the two times I did it.

sunshine village didnt seem to mind
    they also invited our dogs onto the hill

Mt Hood Meadows, Timberline, and Ski Bowl in Oregon all allow up hill touring whenever (it's FS land). Crystal and Alpental are the same deal. I think Stevens is as well.

Obviously you can't go into closed areas within the resort boundaries, even if you skin up. Blah blah.

Curious. Bridger doesn't allow skinning up while the lifts are running. If they see you they will tell you to get to the other side of the area boundary rope. I've skied back down inbounds with a dog a couple of times and no one complained, but I'm sure its not allowed You can skin bridger other times though, and you'll have company.
    "Unfortunately, Meadows mgmt/marketing found out about the PR stash and published it on their trail map."

big mtn sees alot of uphill traffic. after they close hike to the top, ski the back, hike to the top, ski the front. great saturday morning activity. i'll probably be up there next weekend. anyone else in the area?

I know the hills around here have a ticket specifically made for non-lift riders. It's around $10. Considering most of the time you're skiing on their property on snow they made, I can see the point.

Good thread indeed! Props to you for taking the time to research this. FYI you can go up and down Vail all you want because its a forest service lease. Just donjt get caught getting on a lift because then yourtresspassing I skin up 2 or 3 days a week just because. Oh, and skinning up to Ptarmigan and skiing the mile after work and under a full moon can be pretty fun. just because
    Skiing Sucks! What a stupid sport!

Hoodoo in Oregon dosent allow hiking anytime, but they have no authority to actually keep you off, they just post it. I simply ignore them and keep on going, they never do a thing.

edit-- bachelor is cool with it
    Last edited by steepconcrete; 04-15-2007 at 08:51 PM.

it also depends on the avalanche conditions. ive been to alpental before chairs are running and they wouldnt let anyone hike. same deal when the power was out.
    Last edited by bfree; 04-15-2007 at 09:34 PM. Reason: spelling

this season I have skinned up Vail, Beaver Creek, Ski Cooper, A Basin (a couple times in the last week) and Copper Mtn (yesterday), without a lift ticket and a baby in a backpack

Copper yesterday

I have not been given any shit about it by anyone working at any of the ski areas.
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 04-15-2007 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    this season I have skinned up Vail, Beaver Creek, Ski Cooper, A Basin (a couple times in the last week) and Copper Mtn (yesterday), without a lift ticket and a baby in a backpack

Copper yesterday

I have not been given any shit about it by anyone working at any of the ski areas.
    ha!~
    cool man
    the gf and I were riding the lift on Saturday and saw you skiing down.
    your kid definitely had the best ride up.

and bump for this thread and bonzo, who most definitely isnt a jong and a good friend. Welcome to the party! You'd better post up a little TR from Sunday as well.

I don't understand this. If you wanted, you could throw on your FS jacket and ride the lift for free. If you just want some exercise with the kiddo, why pick a ski resort when there are so many more beautiful, safer, and quiet places nearby?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I guess the other question is how often these policies are actually enforced. for example, I've personally skinned up killington several times during operating hours on open trails. I've also seen others doing the same, including one guy on the day after thanksgiving when there were essentially 2-3 routes down and hordes of people on the trail. I don't know if i've just gotten lucky or what, but I've never had problems with the patrol there... I feel like some of these policies might just be in place so the mountain has its ass covered if someone is skinning up, hurts themselves, and tries to sue.

I'm saying this primarily from an east-coast background where in-bounds avis are (almost) non-existent. I can see very good reasons why the situation would be different out west when avalanche risk/control is a constant concern.

also, my anecdotal experience has been that bretton woods, cannon, stowe, and jay have been skinner-friendly. Not sure about the "official" policies though...

because I like to take Owen for a hike & ski while my wife is out making turns at the ski area. We've managed to get in a few lift-served days this season, and since I get to ski at work so much, I try to give my wife the chance to get out and rip around while I watch the baby. What am I supposed to do, sit around when we split a ticket?

Believe me, we are not limited to hiking the ski areas. Yesterday we made some turns out at Uneva before going to Copper for DSO.

Believe me, we are not limited to hiking the ski areas. Yesterday we made some turns out at Uneva before going to Copper for DSO.
    dude!
    was that you in the lot around 3pm?

I think we were packing up\driving away just as you got back\were packing up.

Three of us in a suby lezbo wagon.

either way, nice fun snow up there.

that was us - good snow eh?

I skinned up Breck a few times when I worked there. It was fun to skin up then ski down to the locker room before the sun was up as a pre-work activity. Definitely a relatively popular activity for some of the locals. Great way to avoid the crowds and enjoy some solitude on a generally busy mountain.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

Ah, you never mentioned the wife. It changes the equation completely.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague