TR: MRG Friday the 13th

I went up to mrg after class this morning with non-mag Jesse. Expecting good things, we were disappointed to find rain all the way to the mountain, and not turning to snow until we reached the parking lot. Skinning anyway, we found that at about 500' up from the base, it turned to nice light(ish) powder, and all of a sudden there was a ton of it.

We broke trail up beaver/lynx, to save some time, which proved to be a great move. We lapped Falldice to upper glade three times, starting our skin from where we started breaking trail. To the top quick as we could, then back into the pow.

Paradice/falldice/fall line were the best that i have ever seen them, in 18 years at mrg. Last weekend's snow filled in all the bumps, this week's snow provided a consolidated layer ~2ft deep on top. With maybe 15 other people on the mountain, we had untouched lines in falldice all three runs, and we were the only ones even hitting glade. The upper mountain has never been so smooth, so surfy, or so fuckin sick as it was today.

pics:
    mrg snow stake, top of antelope

single chair sans chairs. they were all stacked up at the bottom. maybe ten left on the wires?

jesse cruising

and launching. landing was muy sticky. anything below where our skinner started was wet mashed potatoes. completely different ballgame, we were glad we'd stayed up top.

hooray for Apruary '07!
    Last edited by squirrelmurphy; 04-14-2007 at 06:54 AM.

sickies..

haha, looks like you had a blast, nice shit eating grin on your face in this one

looks fun! bummed I never had a chance to ride the original single- such a classic. thanks for the pics

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmurphy View Post
    The upper mountain has never been so smooth, so surfy, or so fuckin sick as it was today.
    Okay that's sick. I'm sitting here in UT wishing I was in NE, first time that's happened in while. Go get it fellas.

Yeah Dudley. Looks like you made a good choice with that goin-back-to-school bullshit.
    You look like I need a drink.

wow! i don't think i saw the tower 10 fall THAT filled in all season!
    way to hit it!
    ...but you DO know that section of lift line is always closed don't you??

laps on falldise? BRILLIANT
    Last edited by buckethead; 04-14-2007 at 05:19 AM.

Color me green with envy.
    Click. Point. Chute.

...that's a blueberry bitch right there...

oh yea, first pubic tracks down main chute didn't suck either
    slopstyle crosscarver junior

i went back on saturday for the exact same tour with backcountryben. and it was pretty much the same. fast, smooth, deep pow, with only the occasional track to cross.

saturday night: another 2000' vert skin up mansfield, camp overnight, and a sweet day of skiing at stowe, following soul_skier around the woods.\

no pics of the weekend... bcben might have a couple, but he broke his camera screen the first time he took it out... sadness

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmurphy View Post
    i went back on saturday for the exact same tour with backcountryben. and it was pretty much the same. fast, smooth, deep pow, with only the occasional track to cross.

saturday night: another 2000' vert skin up mansfield, camp overnight, and a sweet day of skiing at stowe, following soul_skier around the woods.\

no pics of the weekend... bcben might have a couple, but he broke his camera screen the first time he took it out... sadness
    We did have a pretty sweet weekend. I actually haven't had a chance to download the pics from saturday from my camera, but i don't think i got anything real good. my camera was sadly in my chest pocket when i pulled a highly technical move known as the "tele-faceplant" in falldise woods. followed by a controlled penguin-slide for about 15 feet down a steep little straightline. still the powder was great. i'm going to be so spoiled for lift-served skiing at MRG in the future...

i can't believe how sick this past week of skiing has been. i hope this rain crust doesn't ruin it all...

I used to ski the Mad River Valley, after all the crappy seasons in the EC, you guys are getting what you deserve this year. I've had countless deep days at AltaBird over the past five winters.

It is funny how the EC has had equal or more snowfall than the place I ski out west now. Rip up Castlerock (I used to love skiing rumble & lift line all the time) & the single for me, & have magic hat single chair ale in the basebox for this ex MRG/S'Bush skier.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

Nice the ice coast is going off !!
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?