Thread: Helmet Camera Fog on the inside of the lens

Helmet Camera Fog on the inside of the lens

I have had my helmet camera for about two years and generally have had good success with it. But more recently, it's been fogging up on the inside of the lens. Maybe I shouldn't have taken it on a week long kayak trip and left it in the rain overnight last year. I took it apart to hope to dry it out (in foggy San Francisco) and now it is worse. It fogs every time I go skiing. It's frustrating since I've had epic footage ruined. I have video of ski paragliding and of the kirkwood comp that is unusable.

What should I do? Use a hair dryer on it? Go to the desert? Put silica gel inside? Has anyone had similar experience?

Here's what you do:

Get some real lens paper from a reputable Photo store.

Buy a dehumidifier.

Go into a windowless room that the dehumidifier has been running in for several hours.

Use a clean desk or work table - no towels!

Disassemble the camera and clean all the lens elements you can get to with the lens paper - no solution!

Reassemble the camera, then either place it in sunlight or under an incandescent flexible table lamp - move the lamp to within 6" of the camera.

Let it gently bake the camera.

The reason most cameras fog internally is due to a change in temperature in a humid environment. If you have it inside an air conditioned house then strap it to your helmet to go for a ride on a warm humid day it will fog.... same happens when going from a warm car out into the cold. Get a padded bag for it and keep the camera in your trunk (or better yet a roof box if you have one.) Otherwise let it "come to temperature" before you turn it on. If it does fog up the best thing to do is leave it outside in sunlight... and wait.