Page 39 of 144 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinum Pete View Post
    I did it, my first organized trail run and my first run longer than a marathon - 50km of trails with climbing was way harder than 26.2 miles of road running. Trail running in a crowd made it very difficult for me to find my groove - I never felt like I found my pace. The heat was more of a factor than I anticipated and I didn't deal with it well in the first half, plus my nutrition/hydration strategy was untested and not a good fit. The climbs were steeper and more frequent than the elevation profile showed. Walking climbs was weird, probably hurt me as much as it helped me, but was pretty much unavoidable with the crowds. Everybody was super nice and very cool, the volunteers in particular were really awesome, but everyone including runners and bystanders were cool. The course was gorgeous with a great variety of trail and flora, including humongous redwoods, swimming holes, and views that I would've preferred to spend more time at than run past. I am very happy with myself for completing this event, but now is not the time for me to contemplate doing another or going further - one foot has serious blistering (not a problem while running but I lost a bunch of skin) and my muscles are hammered. Driving from Santa Cruz back to Portland the day after this run in a stick shift Civic was not comfortable. I'm proud of myself and I have huge respect for anyone who runs this distance or longer.

Way to go! A trail 50K (especially around Santa Cruz) isn't easy, but it must have been incredible! I love seeing videos of people running trails around the bay area - they really make me envious. Keep us posted on what you do next - you probably know as well as the rest of us that it won't be long before "now is not the time for me to contemplate doing another or going further" turns into "hmm.."

How to make the hurt go away? So sore after 6.85 miles last night. 2.5 mile 1200 ft hill right in the middle. Snails pace at 1:16 minutes. Weirdest sensation this morning, felt the need to run again. Way too beat up for that but cool to jones for something I've always hated.

Some how I'm getting heavier.
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

Chris Solinsky, new American 10k record and the first American in history to break 27 minutes.

Broke 6:30 today on the crossfit WOD. It probably would have been faster, but my sagging jeans and tall tee are definitely slowing me down. Whatever, it's all about steez right?

I ran the 10k Ive been training for on sat. It ended up being a very strange course. It was 80 degrees at the start time and the entire race was through the vine rows of a vinyard. So basically a trail run without trails. Sand, steep hills and terrible footing through out. Like running through a creek bed without water. The race took me 40% longer than I had as a goal. The goal was based on my training runs, many of which were much longer. I walked more and hurt worse after than I thought I would. Kinda bummed. I'm trying to find another one to do at the end of the month for some sort of redemption.
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Chris Solinsky, new American 10k record and the first American in history to break 27 minutes.

Holy shit. I can't imagine how deep he was digging to get that.

finally back home from school and back on my outdoor route, thank god for a 3 month break from the treadmill.

also, i spent the last week at whistler, where i had my first experience running dh trails; i think i have a new favorite hobbie.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Amen to that. To be on 27:40 pace at 800 meters and then go sub 27 is inhuman. I can't imagine hammering a 27 second 200 at the tail end of a 10K.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    i had my first experience running dh trails; i think i have a new favorite hobbie.
    So fun....
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

gluttons for punishment, all of you.
    As a snowboarder... i fucking hate snowboarders in general. -advres

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I told you it was sick. I have watched it at least a dozen times and it gets me pumped every time. If you run and don't get a boner watching that, well, you're not really a runner.

If you get a boner watching guys run, that makes you strange, if not homosexual.
    That was low hanging fruit DTM. I've got mad respect for people who excel at running in any capacity.
    As a snowboarder... i fucking hate snowboarders in general. -advres

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum Pete View Post
    I did it, my first organized trail run and my first run longer than a marathon - 50km of trails with climbing was way harder than 26.2 miles of road running.
    Good work! Bay Area has a great ultrarunning community. Sign up for another one soon, before you give it too much thought.

Not trying to steal your thunder -- I completed my 82nd ultramarathon 12 days ago. Avg. body weight = 240 lbs. 18 to go and I'm done with it!

And just got a PM from my friend The Jerker who, a week ago, set the 24-hour American record at 165+ miles.

That's awesome Steve, the "Over 200 lbs and 80+ Ultras" club has to be pretty exclusive.

Good thoughts (Because I agree with them) on Barefoot running on the Science of Sport blog today. These guys studied under Tim Noakes.

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2010...=Google+Reader

Barefoot running - it was a stimulus plan for physical therapists after all

About four months ago, we did a lengthy series on barefoot running, which began with this post on the latest research from the Harvard lab looking at how habitual barefoot runners' mechanics different from shod runners'. That was followed up by a six-part series, done in Q & A format, where we looked at the evidence for barefoot running as a means to prevent injury.

In that very first post, looking at the Harvard study, we made mention of barefoot running being a "stimulus plan for physical therapists". This was entirely predictable, because the media jumped all over the Harvard study and reported it as "proof" that running barefoot was less likely to cause injury as a result of the lower impact forces it caused. This was despite the paper actually reminding people that it had NOT shown this at all. Its final sentence was "controlled prospective studies are needed to test the hypothesis that individuals who do not predominantly RFS either barefoot or in minimal footwear, as the foot apparently evolved to do, have reduced injury rates".

This research came along into a "market" that was increasingly moving towards barefoot running. The book "Born to Run" described the feats (pardon the pun) of a tribe of Mexican Indians, and gave legs to the movement that was picking up followers all over the world. Barefoot was suddenly the way of the future. It inspired our series, and much debate on the issue. All the while though, people were trying to advocate caution, warning that simply going from shoes to barefoot would guarantee injury.

Increased injury rates - the stimulus plan is working

It should come as no surprise that medical doctors and physical therapists are now beginning to pick up on a potential fall-out from the "Born to Run" movement. Our friend (and book co-author) Matt Fitzgerald has hunted a few down, and his report details of a sudden increase in injuries caused by barefoot running. According to those he interviewed, the nature and number of injuries has changed in recent times.

There is however a missing piece of the puzzle here. First, the increase in the number of people running barefoot would produce more barefoot injuries even if the relative risk was the same. Imagine that in a community, 100 people run, 80 of them in shoes and 20 of them barefoot. If the injury rate is equal for both at 10%, therapists will treat 10 patients, 8 who run in shoes, 2 who run barefoot.

But if a book or research studies plus the media inspires 40 people to switch to barefoot running rather than shoes, the split would now be 40 in shoes, 60 barefoot. Now, even if the injury risk stayed the same, they'd suddenly treat fewer injuries from shod runners (4) and more from barefoot runners (6). Has barefoot running caused more injuries? Or has running caused the same injury rate, regardless of what is on the foot? That's why properly controlled prospective studies are still needed.

However, one of the doctors who Matt interviews is still of the opinion that the barefoot running is responsible for specific injuries. He explains how plantar fasciitis injuries are on the rise, and attributes this not to overuse, but to barefoot running. He also pins down why those who swtich to barefoot running often don't report injury. His words: “There are a fair amount of people who have tried it but have stopped pretty quick, just because they realized that it was not going to work for them,” he says.

The spike in injuries - the stimulus plan

The potential spike in injuries is similar to that which I once saw reported as a result of Pose. I recall reading how therapists always saw increased patient numbers about two weeks after a Pose running course had been held in the city. Runners, armed with a new, injury-preventing running technique, were going away to implement what they had learned without due caution, and breaking down at either the calf, foot or Achilles tendons.

The same will happen for barefoot running, unless the runner is a) very, very careful to manage the transition slowly, and b) mechanically able to do it.

I raise point b) because this is something we don't fully understand yet, but I am convinced that there are individuals who simply cannot get away with barefoot running. I may yet be shown to be incorrect, but only evidence will convince me of this, not the anecdotes of the few who are successful at making the transition. Those who fail rarely speak out - they just switch back to shoes. Those who are successful tend to be vocal, and I believe this is why the risk has been under-recognized.

Having said all this, I don't believe that barefoot running is without its merits. And please, before I get slated for selling out to shoe-companies, take some time to read the series we did on barefoot running (especially Part 5). I know it's long, but it lays out all the thoughts, and ultimately concludes that there is merit, but that caution must be used, and if you advocate that barefoot is the only way to go, you're making the same 'extremist' error that shoe-companies are being accused of making. I don't want to rehash all the same arguments again - they're in that series.

Conclusion - universal truth doesn't exist

But bottom line - don't buy into the hype. Try it out, with caution. See if you enjoy it (it is a lot of fun), see if you feel different and then build it slowly into the programme. But if it doesn't work, don't believe the 'criticisms' that it's your fault. I've heard these re both Pose and barefoot running - if you run Pose and get injured, you may be told that it's because you've failed to do it right. If you run barefoot with injury, you will be told that it you haven't made the transition gradual enough, or that you're landing with a stiff ankle, or pointing your toes, or some variation which ultimately boils down to "It's you, not the concept".

It is not true. It may just be that you cannot do it. One-size-fits-all fits exactly no-one. So rise above the generalization and hype!
    I would also like to point out that barefoot running advocates state that injury rates will be lower than shod running. Therefore, we shouldn't see any rise in total numbers of injury at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    I completed my 82nd ultramarathon 12 days ago. Avg. body weight = 240 lbs. 18 to go and I'm done with it!
    82 solid work man.

I ran a 50K yesterday Pineland Farmsl. 5:08:xx I was 10th in my age group but had a hard time on the last 4ish miles. I was feeling sickly and getting a bit campy. I need to figure why, maybe I should switch from heavy weights low reps in the gym to high reps low weights until race season is over. I'm a lot stronger this season but have more mass not sure if that combined with heat could have done me in.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

I have been running in the New Balance MT100 and love it. But oddly Karl Meltzer is running in and endorsing the new Hokas. Here's a pic of the two side by side. The MT100 is the one on the left.

WTF?!?

--Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

^ WTF indeed. That is an odd shoe.

I've got one of the oldest standing UK ultras this Saturday - the Dartmoor Discovery. It's only a tiddler on the ultra distance register, but it my first all road distance run...could be a pain fest.
    Not around much these days.

Good luck man. I have 53 miler on Saturday I have only run 8 miles this week.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Should we classify those with the MBT shoes?

I wonder when we'll start to see them on triathletes...

Good report (not mine) from last weekends race

Run, Dude, Run
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

PRed in a 5K on friday by 50 seconds. 18:29. Haven't trained longer than 800 meters in about 7 weeks. Felt really fucking good. I think I could have gone faster if I'd known the course better. Next time I'll go drive/cycle it the day before.
    It's not tragic to die doing what you love.
    http://www.flickr.com/pearljam09/
    http://pearljam09.blogspot.com/

Good job on the PR. PJ.
    I saw those Hoka's in person, they're surprisingly stiff. Didn't try 'em on.

Well,this thread finally cracked me ...Running my first marathon in start of august... Damn... It is going to be intresting!

Btw, is there any decent free website for logging you runs (maybe implementing gps tracks) ? Have found couple but they have miles (!) as only option and I want Kmīs...

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Well,this thread finally cracked me ...Running my first marathon in start of august... Damn... It is going to be intresting!

Btw, is there any decent free website for logging you runs (maybe implementing gps tracks) ? Have found couple but they have miles (!) as only option and I want Kmīs...
    http://www.dailymile.com
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com