Page 98 of 144 FirstFirst ... 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 3600
    Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Did my first 100 last weekend. Woof - still feeling it, but good race overall. 23:45 for 100miles with 20k climbing (and 20k descending). Had an awesome crew, three great pacers, and my fueling, resting, and pacing all went well. Seems like it will take a while to recover from it - still a bit hard to walk, pretty lethargic overall, and stomach isn't back to full size yet - but happy I did it, and wouldn't be surprised if I do one again (though it was much easier to train for given my amount of vacation this summer).
    Dang. Congrats.

Hell yeah! Hell of a time. My one attempt at a 100-miler got derailed by IT band issues a few weeks out from the race and it's looking pretty unlikely I'll ever try to go for one again.

Good work fool. What 100M ultra did you finish?

badass man. congrats

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    What 100M ultra did you finish?
    I'm guessing Headlands.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    I'm guessing Headlands.
    Ah, sounds right. Sub-24 on that course is impressive, especially for a first 100M.
    Last edited by GeezerSteve; 09-16-2018 at 09:39 AM.

Thanks, all! It was Headlands. I've been privileged the last few months to be able to train a fair bit, and I thought sub-24 was possible, but was definitely glad that it all came together!

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Hell yeah! Hell of a time. My one attempt at a 100-miler got derailed by IT band issues a few weeks out from the race and it's looking pretty unlikely I'll ever try to go for one again.
    Dan, did you ever see a PT about your ITBS? My go-to PT believes - which I agree with - that ITBS is generally due to lack of hip alignment and lower back issues. When I suffered from ITBS, she came in, watched me run, saw my issues (I wouldn't have been able to notice them), bent me like a pretzel for a bit and gave me instructions to perform a few basic stretches and roll the IT Band: four weeks later I was running. I believe rolling the IT band is important for running maintenance - I'm sure you do that - but that ITBS can be treated by far more than rolling/stretching, as some PT's frequently (and only) advocate.

Anyway, you should do a 100 at some point! I'm definitely intrigued by the one in your backyard, Wasatch 100.

I had ITBS when my IT band wasn't tight at all. Glute med imbalance and hip misalignment were the root cause.

Is there anyone out there who can do 100 miles and not be crippled for the next 2-3 weeks?!
    Way to get after it!

So this little race I'm putting together should be a piece of cake!

No seriously, I've always imagined cool race courses and race series ideas but have never followed through with an idea until very recently. Unfortunately it took a personal tragedy to get the ball rolling.

My best friend of over 20 years died suddenly about a month ago. He was a lunatic in the mountains and at the parties and he somehow managed to died peacefully in his sleep unexpectedly. We literally spent 100s and 100s of days in the mountains together skiing pow or linking up endless ridge lines under the midnight sun in the Chugach.

He will be missed by many in the ski communities of Alaska and Utah. So I guess I'm doing my part in making this gnarly race come to life. So the race starts in down town Girdwood Town Square at 8 am on Sept 22, 2018. It quickly climbs 3000 ft to the ridge top then levels out and paralells the highway towards Anchorage.

Runners will descend to Bird Creek trail head which happens to be exactly 13.1 miles according to Google Earth (with 7000' vert in the mix)

Runners then complete loop back Town Square via the paved bike path which is also exactly 13.1 miles. How is that possible, I dunno, Google earth. So I'm calling it the Abe Gioffre Skywalker Classic. A Mixed Marathon, if you will.

It should be super painful and I hope to complete in around 8 hours. (6hours on ridge, 2 hours on pavement) Winner gets a pair of custom skis built by yours truly.

See you out there, hope it is not raining...

This is a test race more then anything, next year we will get permits and plan it for Aug 11, his day of passing.

Here is good look at the ridge from jet window the other day with highway and bike path at bottom.

Very sorry to hear about your friend. Looks like a heck of a tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    Is there anyone out there who can do 100 miles and not be crippled for the next 2-3 weeks?!
    Once you're done a few, it's not so bad.

Carp, PM me if you need experienced volunteer help for your event. I've worked many races and have done pretty much everything except being the actual race director.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

2:01:39. Unreal.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

I'm headed up to Teanaway 100M finish line in a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    yeah it is. i ran 13 in 1:18 once and felt good about myself at the time

the record was 2:08 then

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Did my first 100 last weekend. Woof - still feeling it, but good race overall. 23:45 for 100miles with 20k climbing (and 20k descending). Had an awesome crew, three great pacers, and my fueling, resting, and pacing all went well. Seems like it will take a while to recover from it - still a bit hard to walk, pretty lethargic overall, and stomach isn't back to full size yet - but happy I did it, and wouldn't be surprised if I do one again (though it was much easier to train for given my amount of vacation this summer).
    ok, that is EXTREMELY IMPRESSIVE ! congrats.

but you are nuts.

as a finisher of 2 marathons, maybe I just never got it; but anything more than running to be fit is it for me. 2 to 3 miles as fast as possible and some sprints is all I need.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

~4:38 mile for 26 miles. It’s mind blowing.

I did the thing you're not supposed to do when starting to run: spooled things up too fast and got myself shin splints.

Started working through Training for the New Alpinism heading towards winter. I was paying attention to not spooling up the total training load too quickly, but after feeling good on some 3 or so mile runs, I did 4.5 and 5.5 mile runs this week, and I'm feeling it in my shins. Nothing major, but enough to be uncomfortable. Have new shoes fitted by a good running shop, so I don't think that's the issue. I'll plan to work on shortening stride length a bit. Planning on doing some icing/foam rolling and rest this week, but any other advice for recovery would be appreciated.

Somewhere in that book it probably says something about listening to your body. Reduce volume and work into it. I don't run to win races, so tend to back off quickly now if things don't feel good. I've been through the ramp up quick and injury cycle a few times over the years though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    I did the thing you're not supposed to do when starting to run: spooled things up too fast and got myself shin splints.

Started working through Training for the New Alpinism heading towards winter. I was paying attention to not spooling up the total training load too quickly, but after feeling good on some 3 or so mile runs, I did 4.5 and 5.5 mile runs this week, and I'm feeling it in my shins. Nothing major, but enough to be uncomfortable. Have new shoes fitted by a good running shop, so I don't think that's the issue. I'll plan to work on shortening stride length a bit. Planning on doing some icing/foam rolling and rest this week, but any other advice for recovery would be appreciated.
    What works for recovery is pretty personal. People have very different results with ice, heat, stretching, compression, etc. Nothing is going to make you suddenly able to comfortably run a lot more miles.

Be as patient as you need to be. Right now your body needs time to adjust, not more intensity. Try running less frequently, shorter distances or going slower. Or stopping to walk every 5 minutes or so. Try to get feel for what aggravates the pain. Focus on comfort rather than pace or distance. Maybe you'll need a break for your shins. But you'll probably get stronger faster by being patient. Bike, swim, or hike (if it feels ok) to make up the difference if you want more work. Within a month I bet you'll go a for a run and feel yourself flowing along relatively effortlessly. Then you'll know it's time to start ramping up.

jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    What works for recovery is pretty personal.
    qft... even just for me, who is dumb enough to do this to myself frequently, it varies a lot

17.5 on Saturday- freakin phone dies and I though it was about 20. Vukit- I say it counts! Fresh as a daisy after-
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

OldLarry, are you running NYC?

Anyone running Goldenleaf this weekend? Looks like fall colors will be good. Stoked.