Page 127 of 144 FirstFirst ... 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,175 of 3597
    Well this didn't go quite to plan... total bonk at lap 6 after 13,800ft in 5 hours... life lessons...

Dude. Huge effort. Worthy bonk!

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    Well this didn't go quite to plan... total bonk at lap 6 after 13,800ft in 5 hours... life lessons...
    Given that amount of vert, in that time, that's a worthy bonk! Nice pushing Carp.

Also, Kilian posted his summary of 2022 training. A year in which he won UTMB (with some lingering effects of COVID), Hardrock, and Zegama. (He got ~5th in Sierre Zinal, but he was sick). Nothing super special in the write-up, but still cool to see his thought process (and enduring humility and love of the process).

https://mtnath.com/training2022/

Also an article on why he's the GOAT: https://www.outsideonline.com/health...at-ultraunner/

Okay, I'll stop fan-boying for a second.

My boy did his first trail race today (blond kid with the white shirt). Won his age group (in a very small field). He was stoked.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220917_134533320.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	426693

Name:	PXL_20220917_134537571.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	426694

He's already checking out that blonde at the starting line!

How long was the run?
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post

How long was the run?
    2k for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    My boy did his first trail race today (blond kid with the white shirt). Won his age group (in a very small field). He was stoked.

Name:	PXL_20220917_134533320.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	426693
    awesome pic, ha

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Given that amount of vert, in that time, that's a worthy bonk! Nice pushing Carp.

Also, Kilian posted his summary of 2022 training. A year in which he won UTMB (with some lingering effects of COVID), Hardrock, and Zegama. (He got ~5th in Sierre Zinal, but he was sick). Nothing super special in the write-up, but still cool to see his thought process (and enduring humility and love of the process).

https://mtnath.com/training2022/

Also an article on why he's the GOAT: https://www.outsideonline.com/health...at-ultraunner/

Okay, I'll stop fan-boying for a second.
    I saw Sage Canaday did a summary on Kllian's training program. My one take away was that Kilian mentioned working on nose breathing on easy runs. Previously this summer I became fairly adamant (to anyone who would listen!) on the virtues of nose breathing .

At first it is uncomfortable even at easy z2 but with consistent effort over a couple weeks I could slowly ramp through a run and sit at z3-3.5. I found it has an almost zen affect on the mind as it seems to 'elongate the nasal structure' and 'purify' the air. And I swear it was the number 1 tactic that got me through that 50 mile race. Its like it automatically puts a governor and air filter on your motor as you have very conscientiously draw air into the bottom of your lungs.

We finally got some sun around these parts so I made the best of it and connected several disparate sections of the Turnagain Arm Trail in one push. I want to get out there this fall with a brush saw and make the whole thing runnable...

What.

https://www.irunfar.com/aleksandr-so...-kilometer-run

319.614 kilometers. That’s 198.599 miles. In one day. Running.

That’s just what Lithuania’s Aleksandr Sorokin did in setting a new 24-hour world record of 319.614 kilometers/198.599 miles at the 2022 IAU 24-Hour European Championships in Verona, Italy, on September 17 and 18. That’s 7:15 per mile or 4:30 per kilometer for 24 straight hours

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    What.

That’s just what Lithuania’s Aleksandr Sorokin did in setting a new 24-hour world record of 319.614 kilometers/198.599 miles at the 2022 IAU 24-Hour European Championships in Verona, Italy, on September 17 and 18. That’s 7:15 per mile or 4:30 per kilometer for 24 straight hours
    Whaaa!? That's insane! No idea how that's humanly possible.

He beat his own record. He also set the 12h record and a couple others in the last 2y I think. Dude is barely human
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Regarding Killian's training, I thought one of the House books had a nice bit where it explained that Killian's training is sitting on top of 20 years of progressively increasing aerobic base training.

that is amazing doesnt appear he was even listening to any podcasts. Here is a little more human effort by my son.
    looks like his time held up for a year just have to pick somethng not many people are interested in
    off your knees Louie

Running, Anyone...?

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post

How long was the run?
    My thought was he was thinking "I'm going to kick your ass!"

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    I saw Sage Canaday did a summary on Kllian's training program. My one take away was that Kilian mentioned working on nose breathing on easy runs. Previously this summer I became fairly adamant (to anyone who would listen!) on the virtues of nose breathing .

At first it is uncomfortable even at easy z2 but with consistent effort over a couple weeks I could slowly ramp through a run and sit at z3-3.5. I found it has an almost zen affect on the mind as it seems to 'elongate the nasal structure' and 'purify' the air. And I swear it was the number 1 tactic that got me through that 50 mile race. Its like it automatically puts a governor and air filter on your motor as you have very conscientiously draw air into the bottom of your lungs.
    I haven’t been running a bunch lately but have started to do a little of nose breathing when running. Huberman endorses it as does Brian McKenzie (the Crossfit Endurance guy, for better or worse). I have yet to see any studies on nose breathing being beneficial - it seems more anecdotal - with the primary impact of forcing a slower pace (since most people train too fast for aerobic development). I’m going to keep doing it, just would love to know if there’s scientific proof behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by cravenmorhead View Post
    Regarding Killian's training, I thought one of the House books had a nice bit where it explained that Killian's training is sitting on top of 20 years of progressively increasing aerobic base training.
    A 1000% yes. I forget exactly, but he’s been training methodically since ~15 or so, so much that he can now do ~20hours/week of aerobic volume of various activities.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    What.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    that is amazing doesnt appear he was even listening to any podcasts. Here is a little more human effort by my son.
    looks like his time held up for a year just have to pick somethng not many people are interested in
    Incredibly impressive BFD. I’ve heard of that loop but have never been close to be able to consider attempting it, let alone the FKT. Bravo!

And on the note of records being broken, Kilian’s Bob Graham Record was broken:
    American Jack Kuenzle has broken Kilian Jornet’s record for the Bob Graham Round. 
    The former Navy Seal set a provisional time of 12 hours, 23 minutes and 48 seconds. – nearly half-an-hour faster than the time set by Jornet in 2018. 
    Last edited by fool; 09-22-2022 at 11:42 PM.

Funny, I was just listening to a Totally Deep podcast with Kuenzle this morning.
    https://totallydeep.libsyn.com/episo...on-episode-100

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    I haven’t been running a bunch lately but have started to do a little of nose breathing when running. Huberman endorses it as does Brian McKenzie (the Crossfit Endurance guy, for better or worse). I have yet to see any studies on nose breathing being beneficial - it seems more anecdotal - with the primary impact of forcing a slower pace (since most people train too fast for aerobic development). I’m going to keep doing it, just would love to know if there’s scientific proof behind it.
    There's abundant evidence that nose breathing is immensely important for overall health. James Nestor's Breath is a great read.

For endurance training I'm not sure the evidence is there, except in an indirect way by forcing a slower pace as you said. For most of 2020 I was recovering from a pretty serious concussion and going too hard flared up my symptoms so I switched all my cardio to nose-only as a rev limiter. I grew to really enjoy it and never stopped. Now, if I need to open my mouth I know I'm pushing hard, poorly recovered, or both. Nose breathing also reduces respiratory water loss by something like 40%. I definitely seem to need less water in hot weather.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Holy shit!

Anyone do much barefoot running? Just did an hour the other day on the beach and it was the first time I've ever run barefoot. It was really pleasant although my lower calves are a little sore. I've got some xero sandals that I'm tempted to try out on my local crusher fines trails.

I know it was a trend for a while but it mostly seems to have died out. Is running barefoot a bad idea generally?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Is running barefoot a bad idea generally?
    It's fine. I used to do barefoot running/swimming workouts at a little lake surrounded by some nice loamy trails near my mom's house and really enjoyed it. The important thing to keep in mind is that when you start out it's easier to overdo it than you might think, especially if you're already fit. Start with less distance and intensity that you feel capable of.

Full barefoot is probably better than ultra-minimalist shoes at first; your feet will hurt and force you to stop before you blow up your calves. It's a fun way to fuck around in the neighborhood and toughen your feet up in general. Not recommended for long distances and/or unknown surfaces (if you suddenly find yourself facing a mile of chipseal you didn't expect your life is about to suck real bad). It's pretty stupid for most trail running, though flat crusher fines trails would be an exception.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I The important thing to keep in mind is that when you start out it's easier to overdo it than you might think, especially if you're already fit. Start with less distance and intensity that you feel capable of.
    X100. I built up to running 10 miles on trails barefoot a long while ago, but it took like a year. You can VERY easily injure yourself by doing too much. But, if you start slowly (like 1/2 mile!) it can be a fun way to break things up.

One way I used to do it was to do my regular trail run, then take my shoes and socks off for the last bit through the neighborhood on pavement. Your soles will hurt before you can injure yourself, so it's a good limiter. As your calluses build up, you'll be able to go farther.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Anyone have recommendations for studded winter shoes, or opinions/experience regarding such shoes in general? We have a lot of summer trails that stay snow-packed and usable throughout most of the winter, but they're typically steep and foot traffic and melt-freeze cycles frequently create patches or extended stretches of glare ice. While I could just get some Nanospikes, a proper winter shoe with real studs, a non-absorbing outer, and will keep my toes warmer seems worth it.

Pondering these:
    https://icebug.com/p/arcus-m-bugrip-gtx-midnightred
    https://icebug.com/p/pytho6-m-bugrip

Also looked at the Salomon Spikecross but they're 10 mm drop which is more than I'd prefer.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 10-04-2022 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    As your calluses build up, you'll be able to go farther.
    It's funny, your feet get tougher, but also more sensitive. Unexpected pebbles and pokey things become much less of an issue over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Anyone have recommendations for studded winter shoes, or opinions/experience regarding such shoes in general? We have a lot of summer trails that stay usable throughout most of the winter, but they're typically steep and foot traffic and melt-freeze cycles frequently create patches or extended stretches of glare ice. While I could just get some Nanospikes, a proper winter shoe with real studs, a non-absorbing outer, and will keep my toes warmer seems worth it.

Pondering these: https://icebug.com/p/zeal5-m-olx-blackfire_-orange

Also looked at the Salomon Spikecross but they're 10 mm drop which is more than I'd prefer.
    I've got a pair of Saucony Mad River TRs that have markings in the bottom for inserting your own spikes with basic hex screws. Did it last winter and worked like a charm. Way nicer than nano spikes.

But then my use case is different as I'm in Denver so only run snowy roads ~20 days a year and it is rarely that cold.

Yeah, I don't really trust DIY studs for this use case, especially if it requires buying a new shoe. I probably won't use these more than 20-30 days a year, but I actually see that as an argument for buying a dedicated shoe since I should get 3-4 seasons out of them.

I have a buddy who uses Salomon Spikecross and loves them.