Page 105 of 144 FirstFirst ... 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 3600
    Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Pulled hamstring this morning (fuuuck!!!)

What’s the treatment to get over this?
    Massage from someone who understands sports injury.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    The Hal Higdon running plans seem pretty popular and I have a friend who has run a handful of marathons and swears by them... Good luck on your half.
    I've followed HH plans for a 1/2marathon and two marathons. They're simple to follow and work well for me.

Good luck AC.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Sorry AC! Massage like Viva says, and rest it. Maybe some of splat's special cream?

I don't know what I was thinking taking on a 55k. My body hurts and I only did 26 miles over Saturday and Sunday. I don't know about these 40+ mile weeks. Does the body adjust faster than you realize? I miss the days when a long run was 5 or 6 miles. I am happy for the cooler weather though.

Got out for an hour and a half in light rain this morning. Dynafit transalper jacket killed it though. I freaking love it when gear works as designed!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Massage from someone who understands sports injury.
    i will look into this, thanks

iced today, but can't elevate it & get work done unfortunately

(i'm such a moron; i felt it coming on & slowed way down, but didn't just stop...until it made me)
    Last edited by acinpdx; 05-20-2019 at 05:17 PM. Reason: grammar

first reluctant trail run of the season (no time + in laws in town) went well... 120+ days of ski touring keeps the legs strong apparently! running in chacos i was probably suboptimal but worked fine for a quick 1500’...

Another vote for the Higdon plans. May be yet available over at Runners World. My suggestion for the first time, start with one level below where you think you want to be and change over to a more advanced plan if things go well. I liked the lower Intermediate.

Looking for a trail marathon for the fall (October/November). Anyone do the north face SF marathon? Might be a good chance to show the chillin the west coast. I hate Active.com though

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    Sorry AC! Massage like Viva says, and rest it. Maybe some of splat's special cream?

I don't know what I was thinking taking on a 55k. My body hurts and I only did 26 miles over Saturday and Sunday. I don't know about these 40+ mile weeks. Does the body adjust faster than you realize? I miss the days when a long run was 5 or 6 miles. I am happy for the cooler weather though.
    Don't worry so much about the weekly mileage for now. Rather try to get in one nice long run, and one your shorter runs, focus on speed- i.e., run them a little faster than you might normally. Unless you're feeling like shit that day, then just take it easy. Have fun!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Don't worry so much about the weekly mileage for now. Rather try to get in one nice long run, and one your shorter runs, focus on speed- i.e., run them a little faster than you might normally. Unless you're feeling like shit that day, then just take it easy. Have fun!
    Thanks! I've been mostly focusing on distance, doing a long run one day and then a medium run the next so I can get used to running on tired legs. I had been doing a short interval workout once a week.

Any tips for glissading? Never had to glissade before. Doing a 21 miler next weekend, and the race organizers keep stating "the glissade is going to be top notch!"

i'm signed up for the massage, and I called a PT friend to ask about how to improve recovery. She said to me, "someone your age & with your history should own a tens unit" LOL...[amazon prime to the rescue]...ice, tens unit, light stretches, keep moving gently & massage therapy to get the tissue sliding again

i'm very much in awe of you folks who are kicking out the miles, and hope to get somewhere into the realm of counting miles beyond single digits in the (thoughtfully paced) future

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    Thanks! I've been mostly focusing on distance, doing a long run one day and then a medium run the next so I can get used to running on tired legs. I had been doing a short interval workout once a week.

Any tips for glissading? Never had to glissade before. Doing a 21 miler next weekend, and the race organizers keep stating "the glissade is going to be top notch!"
    I think that the back-to-back long or long/medium runs training regimen is over-rated. Never did it myself. "Fast training" is far more important than "Distance training", in my opinion. But that's what worked for me. Do you have a bike? Try a medium-long ride the day after your long run. Works other muscles and further improves cardiovascular fitness, which is the most important consideration.

The only advice I can offer on glissading is to close your eyes, raise your hands in the air, and scream "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!" , as you're going down the hill. So much fun!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

^thanks Viva! I don’t think I get much as far as mileage from the medium run after long run, but for now it is helping mentally (I think) prepare for the 55k in realizing that I can run on tired legs. I am a very lazy runner! As far as the glissade, my current plan is, when in doubt, sit and slide down on my bum!

Lots of elk on today’s long run. Very misty, only 1 rain shower, and no one about. Was really enjoyable running up the FS road this morning. Was worried there would be lots of atvs and side by sides.

Elk this morning, group of cows, then startled a group of bulls a little further up the road. Lots of moose tracks, but haven’t seen any yet.

Name:  7BEAE167-FB8D-4990-B7F6-A994F5EB51E3.jpeg
Views: 318
Size:  275.1 KB
    Name:  E8BE83C5-E9C1-46C1-AF19-B6EC4D8392D6.jpeg
Views: 309
Size:  146.5 KB

Do any of you have experience with the maffetone method? Or aerobic base training as promoted by the "Training for the New Alpinism" or "The Uphill Athlete" folks? I've been doing nothing but aerobic heart rate runs, keeping my heart rate between 127 and 143 bpm for the last month or so. It's been fine but man is it slow. Like 12-13 min/mile slow. My 8.5 mile run to work takes nearly 2 hours.

I'm just curious if any of you have tried it and what the results were. I'm going to stick with it for another month and then I'm going to start a marathon training plan to get ready for the Seattle Marathon on December 1. I would do all of my marathon training that slow too but frankly I just don't have time. The difference between 10 minute miles and 13 min miles is nearly 2 hours a week spent running.

For the last 2 years I've been doing almost exclusively longer slower runs. Always trying to keep my heart rate in the sub 140 range. Yes, I'm slow as hell. But I'm never sore even after a 2+ hour run and I can go all freaking day in the mountains (unless I start running the downhills). It is humbling to run 10+ minute miles. But fuck it, ya know? I ain't racing anybody. I'm in it for the fitness and for the time on the trails and for the big ole battery that I can draw down on while I'm up in the hills.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

Code:
    Issued: 9:42 AM Jun. 27, 2019 – National Weather Service

...DENSE SMOKE ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM AKDT SUNDAY FOR
    THE INTERIOR KENAI PENINSULA...

* LOCATION...Interior Kenai Peninsula. This includes Seward.

* SMOKE...Dense smoke from the Swan Lake fire has drifted
    southeastward across the interior Kenai Peninsula.
    Visibilities may be reduced to one quarter mile or less at
    times. There may be some improvement in visibility during the
    afternoon and evening hours, but winds for the next couple
    days will continue to transport smoke over this same area.

* TIMING...Through Saturday, though there is potential for dense
    smoke to persist all the way through the weekend.

* IMPACTS...Travel may be difficult due to low visibility.
    Persons with respiratory problems may have difficulty
    breathing when outside.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A dense smoke advisory means widespread fires will create smoke,
    limiting visibilities. If driving,  Slow down, use your
    headlights, and leave plenty of distance ahead of you in case a
    sudden stop is needed. For the latest road conditions call
    5 1 1 or visit 511.alaska.gov.

&&
    Should have took a pic of my buff yesterday...PM2, yecch.

^^smoke totally fucked with my mojo last fall in Northern California. Information seems mixed about being able to protect yourself with mask and staying active, especially concerning getting a mask to properly fit.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    ^^smoke totally fucked with my mojo last fall in Northern California. Information seems mixed about being able to protect yourself with mask and staying active, especially concerning getting a mask to properly fit.

My glasses fog if I wear it over my nose while fishing...So I know it leaks unless I seal my head like a lumpy doobie.
    Luckily, I had a few carbon filters just laying around I could put to use recirculating the air in the house...so we got that going for us at night, when the shit collects like ground fog.

Prolly smoke some fish tomorrow, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    For the last 2 years I've been doing almost exclusively longer slower runs. Always trying to keep my heart rate in the sub 140 range. Yes, I'm slow as hell. But I'm never sore even after a 2+ hour run and I can go all freaking day in the mountains (unless I start running the downhills). It is humbling to run 10+ minute miles. But fuck it, ya know? I ain't racing anybody. I'm in it for the fitness and for the time on the trails and for the big ole battery that I can draw down on while I'm up in the hills.
    Sounds like you and I have similar goals. Have you seen big improvements over the last two years? Has your pace at that sub 140 range improved, or has your stamina improved? I've at just about 1 month of doing this and it certainly seems like my ability to keep running for longer and longer periods of time before my heart rate rises over the 143 threshold has improved quite a bit. As far as my actual average mile pace it doesn't seem to have improved that much. I've also noticed that I'm basically never sore afterward and usually stop running only because I've arrived at my destination. Since starting this I've never stopped because I'm tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    My times are improving. A bit of investment in footwear is really helping my knees.

altra timp 1.5s (nimble but still good cushion)
    hoka stinson ATRs (yudgely plush)
    I realize that shoes are highly individualized and what works for one person won't work at all for another but I have about 300 miles in a pair of Hoka Stinson ATR 4's and I think they're great. For the roads I was using a pair of Hoka Clifton 5's until I set them on the top of my car and proceeded to drive away. There's a lone Hoka Clifton on the streets of Seattle somewhere. I replaced them with the new Clifton 6 and they're even better than the 5.

Since the Stinsons are getting close to retirement I'm starting to think about a trail shoe to replace them. There are so many choices. I'm curious about how the Altra Timp and Hoka Stinson compare. How do you choose which one you wear on any given day?

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    Sounds like you and I have similar goals. Have you seen big improvements over the last two years? Has your pace at that sub 140 range improved, or has your stamina improved? I've at just about 1 month of doing this and it certainly seems like my ability to keep running for longer and longer periods of time before my heart rate rises over the 143 threshold has improved quite a bit. As far as my actual average mile pace it doesn't seem to have improved that much. I've also noticed that I'm basically never sore afterward and usually stop running only because I've arrived at my destination. Since starting this I've never stopped because I'm tired.
    I'm a slow runner too. I am more interested in getting out on the trails than speed and PRs. I'v never used the actual Maffetone method. A friend of mine was trying to follow it but she got really frustrated because she felt it was too slow and was having to walk a lot to keep her heart rate down. I looked in to it some after she talked about it - a little of what I read was some people were using the method, but modifying their heart rate zones some based on their fitness level for those same reasons.

What I have noticed is my speed really hasn't changed but my endurance has improved. I can run longer and my legs may be tired, but not really sore. I'm only a little sore after a run that involves a lot of steep climbing. Steep uphills that I have to hike, while they are slow, are very steady for me now and I don't have to stop to rest. Last summer, I did notice for shorter runs, like local 5K runs, while I am no speed demon, I had gotten faster (for me).

I'm super bummed this weekend - this was supposed to be my last long run before a 55K on July 13, I had to have a tooth extracted Wednesday and they told me no running until Sunday at the earliest. I hope I can squeeze in one more 20 - 25 mile run in the next few days before starting to taper off to rest up for the big day.

@Buke
    Yeah, I've gotten a little faster since I started. Maybe a minute or so less per mile. But that's 11:30 down to 10:30 so it's not exactly like I'm lighting the trails up. That said, I'd like to think I could walk out the front door any day of the week and run for 2 hours no matter what I had done the day before. And when I get home from that kind of run I'd also like to think I wouldn't be too tired to have a normal rest of my day playing with the kids, working, other exercising, etc...

From a purely philosophical perspective, I think that sincerely committing to that kind of slow and steady training means that you have to place much less value on pace and much more on total time and/or distance. And that's easy for me cuz I'm not racing anybody anywhere anytime. I just love getting out there and running.

From yesterday's RunDown. 9 miles, 4800 vert.

Name:  IMG_20190706_122730653_HDR.jpeg
Views: 376
Size:  107.1 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190706_132445052_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	49 
Size:	150.4 KB 
ID:	287942Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190706_133351630_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	221.4 KB 
ID:	287943Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190706_141650764_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	52 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	287944

Pretty spot, Butters!

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.