Page 35 of 144 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    Nice work Steve, whats next?
    a marathon in 19 days, then a 50-miler on labor day. On Oct 3-4, I'm doing a double 50K (two of 'em in one weekend) then another 50K on Oct-17. NYC Marathon on Nov 1 and then, if I lose enough weight, Mountain Masochist 50M on Nov 7.

that should be it for 2009. i'm going to make a run at the umstead 100 in march 2010.

wow....... Do you still have a full time job? JK
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

I agree with T-Man. That is a pretty aggressive 30 days of running.

Good luck!

And congrats on Wakely. The race is like being in 'Last of the Mohicans'. I ran it a few years ago and didn't see anyone the entire race. No hikers. No runners. No walkers. It was strange and fun.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

yeah, all those october runs lead up to mountain masochist. 50 miles with about 9000', and a 12-hour time limit. it's going to be really really difficult for me and i've gotta be about as well trained as i've ever been.

Well you would think you could squeeze in a VT 50.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

won't be ready to finsih 50m in 12 hours by then.
    wasn't last year either. had to take a ride with a volunteer back to the start.

Ambitious goals Steve, that will be one hell of an accomplishment.

I have hardly run since GC. I did something to the outside of my left pinky during GC that has totally benched me, had to bail on the Speedgoat 50k last month because of it. It's like someone is sticking a needle into the side of my toe, especially going downhill. So, it has been all biking and crossfit-style HIT training lately.

I did two 10-12 milers recently and it felt OK on the first one, but by halfway through the second the pain was back. I am thinking it is a bursitis or something similar that is only going to go away with time. Gonna take another month or so off and maybe get some different shoes.

Sorry about your injury. Kept you out of the speedgoat 50K, eh? I've been thinking about that race for 2010.. it's easy to get to from SLC airport & can do it as a weekend trip. You planning on it for next year?

-steve

Hopefully. Karl said he would carry my registration fee over to next year so it's already paid for, but I have my first kid coming mid-january and I have no idea how much I am going to be able to train next year.

Lots of impressive long distance runners in this thread. Anyone planning to run a more pedestrian marathon this fall?

I've been running a ton this year, thanks mostly to unemployment and an understanding wife. I ran a 1/2 marathon in June, planning another in September, followed up by my first marathon, in Grand Rapids, MI in October. Assuming that goes well, I'm also planning the Tecumseh Trail Marathon near Bloomington, IN in December.

Hoping I make it through 2009 injury free, and then I'll start thinking about some longer distances.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    Randosteve, whats your 50K time if you have run one? I'd think (not ever been there) its a 12 -15 hour run with a lunch stop? Elevation gain and loss looks kind of like the Pemi Loop.
    I've done some 50 mile races and marathons. 50 miles...I've put up a 9:36 at Bighorn.
    Teton AT
    Live to Ski!

Quote Originally Posted by randosteve View Post
    II've put up a 9:36 at Bighorn.
    Which year?
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Which year?
    9:39...2003. I remember the first women was freaking gaining on me at the end (I usually go out too hard and struggle at the end of long races) and I had to dig deep and charge to the finish. I beat her by 1 second...and of course couldn't walk for the rest of the week.

http://www.bighorntrailrun.com/results/200350M.html
    Teton AT
    Live to Ski!

I guess that I had a similar experience. I ran Bighorn in 96, a snow year so the course was changed. We started somewhere over the border in Montana and began by essentially running uphill from mile 2 to7 or 8. Wherever they could bring in trucks was the location of the first aid station and that's where we turned around and followed the normal course (with the down hill start). Martha Swatt, the women's winner that year, came close to me, it turned out. Meanwhile, I was busy holding off the previous year's winner, Mark Somethingoranother.

Bighorn was one of the most beautiful course I ran and one of the two or three toughest 50s that I raced. I regret that I only went there once.

But I do not miss the mosquitos in Sheridan!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

so...did you win that year?
    Teton AT
    Live to Ski!

No, not quite.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

^^

LT 100 is tomorrow and it looks like Krupicka will be running this year to make another attempt at breaking Carpenter's record. But it looks like they might be re-routing a section of the course due to the Blackhawk recovery mission on Massive, apparently the Army is using the Half Moon Rd area to stage to the recovery. Anyone in that area have any more info??

This just in from a buddy running LT100 tomorrow:

"There is a slight re-route, will not have much effect. If Anton sets a course record, it will be just that."
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    This just in from a buddy running LT100 tomorrow:

"There is a slight re-route, will not have much effect. If Anton sets a course record, it will be just that."
    This just came in on the LT100 e-mail list:

"We'll run the normal route up Hagerman road to Treeline.

At Treeline, left turn onto the Pipeline road for 1.5 miles or so. Then
    head right and up to intercept the Colorado Trail.

Course is possibly a bit shorter and probably a bit faster with the change.
    Might actually be a better run than heading straight up Halfmoon road."

according to someone on the ultralist, Anton dropped at 75 due to cramps. posted 17 minutes ago.

Just got home from the Sedburgh Hills Race. A 14mile mountain run, almost all off it off paths and over some really nasty terrain. There was 6000ft of climbing. The weather was evil, gusting storm force winds and driving rain (as only this rain sodden little island knows how to deliver!) My time was slow, 3.30hrs but I got round, fell over a load of times on the descents and will need a more aggressive shoe for next time it pisses down.

Shorey / Herby post up how your Ultra marathon went yesterday please?

7 hours 29 minutes!
    I came 31st out of 65 solo runners.

My first ultra marathon.

Here's an elevation link: http://www.endurancelife.com/assets/...ll%20route.jpg

Not quite the same ups and downs as you northern bastards are used to, but twas good anyway.

Come and do this with me: http://www.votwo.co.uk/votwo2007/eve...p?v=2&c=1&i=73

.... a nice holiday for you and Mrs Chicken on the Cornish Coast mayhaps?
    Not around much these days.

Nice work Shorey.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shorey View Post
    7 hours 29 minutes!
    I came 31st out of 65 solo runners.

My first ultra marathon.
    Good effort

Quote Originally Posted by Shorey View Post
    Not quite the same ups and downs as you northern bastards are used to, but twas good anyway.
    Come and race in the mountains:
    http://www.amblesideac.org.uk/Langdale_2009.htm
    http://www.mourne2day.com/
    http://www.ldmta.org.uk/

You are all welcome to stay.

How fit are you for the OMM? I hope the visibility is good for your sakes, cos I know you can't navigate If your buddy is military he probably wont know which way up to hold the map!

Are you bringing whisky, hookers or blow to the mid-camp?

Good work to all. The thought of of me doing an ultra makes me convulse. It's down to about 3.5 months until my marathon. Training is coming along, but the nagging injuries are a nuisance. I hope to earn a ticket to Boston in April.