Page 113 of 144 FirstFirst ... 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,825 of 3600
    7 weeks in and I’m just barely feeling recovered from this weird hip injury I sustained in a hard 10 mile run.

Yes flat on pavement... could have been result of last 6 months of 30-50 mpw training with probably 75% on pavement.

But it came up day after specific workout.

I had no idea there were so many hip pain variations that could be multiple issues:

Bursitis, torn labrum, IT, bone spur, hairline fracture. ...

I’m not sure what I had but I could not run on flats. Could still go up steep and down steep and bike feels fine.

Specific pain was felt when I unweighted the hip joint, as in kick off of tail end of stride cycle.

Or if I just stood there with weight on and then slowly unweighted, it felt like swelling rushing back into joint.

No debilitating, but annoying. Of course I was dumb and kept trying to run through it for the first 3 weeks before I realized this was not another niggle.

Anyway, I’ve started more aggressive stretch program and am going to just Zwift for the next month. Oh and the ski hill opens tomorrow so that will be good distraction .

Running injuries are real!!

Never felt as happy to be back on the concrete as I did yesterday after a couple miles of trying to run my favorite trail when it was all covered in shitty refrozen ice...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191211_112304-01.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	305901
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Never felt as happy to be back on the concrete as I did yesterday after a couple miles of trying to run my favorite trail when it was all covered in shitty refrozen ice...

Name:	20191211_112304-01.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	305901
    Look on the bright side, you worked all those minor muscle groups neglected on pavement runs

I'm spending too much time on the tarmac and need to hit some trails, just nothing in my immediate area so its a bit of a drive.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Don’t wait too long for overnighters with the kids. My daughter has been game for anything until this year, now she’s a grumpy preteen. She’s been doing overnighters since she was 5 or 6 and some of our biggest days were when she 8 and 9. Kids are really capable and resilient, way more than even they realize, and they love getting dirty and pooping in a hole.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Look on the bright side, you worked all those minor muscle groups neglected on pavement runs
    Hah, I was being serious. I usually hate to turn back onto the tarmac preferring, instead, to only run the road for the couple miles it takes to get between the house and the trails. But all that refrozen terrible actually made me happy to get off the trails for once.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

This probably belongs in the gimp section but I'll post it here because it's running specific. Post marathon I had 2 or 3 pains/injuries/sore areas. I took a few days off and then went out for a 2 mile jog and quickly realized that I need a little more time to just rest and recover. Fast forward another week or so. I went out for a short run this morning and most of the issues have cleared up but I have this pain/discomfort right behind my knee. As I ran it just got a little tighter and tighter. Sitting at my desk now, if I dig in behind my knee there's a pretty distinct tendon right at the posterior center of the soft area behind the knee that is tender. Internet sleuthing is coming up a little short. Maybe it's hamstring tendonitis? Maybe it's one of the other muscles that tie in to that area. Maybe I strained something and just need to give it a little more time to heal?

Anyway, has anyone experienced that? What's the proper rehab? I'm not even sure what sort of exercises to do to strengthen it and help it recover. I'm hoping to avoid just sitting around for a few more weeks in the hope that it goes away but I really don't want to go over do it and end up gimped for the next 2-3 months. I can definitely feel it with a straight leg calf stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    This probably belongs in the gimp section but I'll post it here because it's running specific. Post marathon I had 2 or 3 pains/injuries/sore areas. I took a few days off and then went out for a 2 mile jog and quickly realized that I need a little more time to just rest and recover. Fast forward another week or so. I went out for a short run this morning and most of the issues have cleared up but I have this pain/discomfort right behind my knee. As I ran it just got a little tighter and tighter. Sitting at my desk now, if I dig in behind my knee there's a pretty distinct tendon right at the posterior center of the soft area behind the knee that is tender. Internet sleuthing is coming up a little short. Maybe it's hamstring tendonitis? Maybe it's one of the other muscles that tie in to that area. Maybe I strained something and just need to give it a little more time to heal?

Anyway, has anyone experienced that? What's the proper rehab? I'm not even sure what sort of exercises to do to strengthen it and help it recover. I'm hoping to avoid just sitting around for a few more weeks in the hope that it goes away but I really don't want to go over do it and end up gimped for the next 2-3 months. I can definitely feel it with a straight leg calf stretch.
    I would try a massage ball (specific if you have one, if not lacrosse ball or even tennis worth a shot), along the belly of the hamstring. Sit on the floor with your legs extended straight out, position the ball under your hamstring (biceps femoris) and move yourself around on the ball. If you find tight/painful spots, hold there and gradually increase pressure while breathing deeply. After 5 to 10 minutes of that, try some gentle stretching. Try that for 3-4 days and see if it improves. I have had times where that helped me with what I think you are describing (and times when it didn't, in which case you just need a longer period of rest).

Kind of flat, but a good run none the less.

Name:	20191221_155709.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	634.1 KB 
ID:	307394

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

11* with sunny skies and no wind this morning and 3-5" on my favorite trails right out my front door. I sure do love running in the snow!

Name:  20191229_084911-01.jpeg
Views: 496
Size:  102.6 KB

Whoa that only took 11 weeks before I could run pain free in my poor hip! Actually 5 weeks of trying to run through the pain followed by 6 weeks of strict no running then voila! Nice little 3 miler with the dog today in -5f.

It had got to the point where I couldn't run 3 steps before pain was too much.
    I never did go to the doctor. Self diagnosed on the internet, was worried about stress fracture for a bit, that is what really made me stop running through pain. I think it was just soft tissue damage in the end. Either way, no fun!

I'm 3 weeks out from this 1 hour indoor lap challenge race I had all but given up on. Now for a very slow build for next 2 weeks and make the call a couple days out... it sure would be dumb to re injure self pounding 40 laps on a track I reckon.

Injuries suck. Just twist my ankle walking down dark steps. I almost never injure myself running, but apparently can't walk worth shit. It is much better, but a long way from runnable. I just hope it is happy in a ski boot.

iscariot

OP hasn’t posted in a decade.

But she’s a valley girl
    A valley girl
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    OP hasn’t posted in a decade.

But she’s a valley girl
    A valley girl
    Okay, fine, for sure, for sure
    She's a valley girl and there is no cure

She moved to Florida. Tampa area, I seem to recall. Not too many valleys there, I've heard.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

^^That is crazy, makes for the able bodied runner getting chaffed nipples not seem so bad.

I've been trying to embrace winter running this year. It has been tough plodding out in the dark in -5f to 10f temps like we've had most the time the last couple months. Then the light started to return and I discovered the nice groomed multi use trails we have here in the valley. It is funny as Ive been here forever and never ventured out on these trails in the winter without skis. Nice change from running along my one route along the road.

Yes, I need to shave but neck beard is great for the cold! And meet Bobo my running partner. makes me less crazy for talking to myself in woods I guess lol

^that’s funny because I too just found that the Iditarod trail is a great winter run. Been here for years and never knew.

^^yeah thanks for the reminder , I’m gonna check that trail from behind the school and I guess the fat bikes pack it pretty good along the river all the way to the rail road.

Also that Cpg cat road runs all the way up Sunny side right up next to Northstar... hope cold temps hold the trail together a bit longer

I raced out and bought last pair of Vapor Flys in the state in my size the other day. Priorities.
    I just hope there is a race season this summer. They cancelled a popular 5k St Paddy race yesterday.

But wow, those shoes sure feel fast on my feet walking around the house. Can't test them outside yet, with all the snow and all.

I also went and cashed in REI dividend and got a pair of Hoka Stinson ATR 5 yesterday. Ran 11 miles on them in the evening. They are definitely big feeling , kind of clown shoe like. Felt great on the snow and I really like the stiff sole and the steep rockered toe. It feels like it is giving a mechanical advantage on keeping the knee forward over the foot and maintaining a 'falling forward' motion.

My general theory is to put all my training miles on the Hokas that weight 12.4 oz and then road race in Vaporflys that weight 7 oz. Damn I hope race season is not done for. If so I have a bunch of long trail runs Id like to gun for FKT's on.

With awesome weather in Seattle but no resorts open, I needed to get some release above treeline. Took a quick run up Mt. Teneriffe. 7mi and 4k elevation in 3hrs. Snow for the last 1.5k vert. Microspikes came in handy ,especially on the down. We got a few more days of weather and hoping to get a couple more runs in before it closes.

^^Stoked to see your guys running pics. I usually don't run with phone but today I made the effort.

This bike trail started a quarter mile from my house and follows the old highway alignment that was abandoned for cars in early 2000's. The spring freeze cycle is getting up the snow running conditions pretty good these days. Easy 8 miler with Bobo the dog. Still cold enough to be wearing a dick sock though. Made that mistake yesterday...

Name:  avy sign.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  133.1 KB

The mouth of the valley is lined with these ghosts forest from the 1964 earth quake when the land sank some like 6 feet and the salt water killed the trees in place.

Name:	ghost forest 1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	506.7 KB 
ID:	322899

Name:	ghost forest 2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	730.8 KB 
ID:	322902

There is the main highway normally packed with cars heading to the ski hill for prime spring skiing.

Name:	view to portage.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	519.5 KB 
ID:	322903

Name:	small stop sign.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	736.7 KB 
ID:	322904

After about 10 runs I am finally breaking in these monster clown shoes. They feel like running in 4x4 on the snow and dirt. Not sold on the pavement, a little clunky. I put on my Salmon Speed Cross the other day and they felt like light weight ninja shoes.

Name:	shoe pic.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	701.3 KB 
ID:	322905

Name:	portage pano.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	739.9 KB 
ID:	322906

I've been running with a baby in a stroller and a dog leashed around my waist. It's not ideal, but's the way it has to be at the moment.

That's funny about the Hoka Stinson. I ordered a pair of Speedgoat 3's earlier this fall to try out due to foot pain. They felt like clown shoes compared to the speedcross. They look like it too since they were bright orange (on sale). I have gotten used to them and they are the only shoe my foot doesn't hurt to run in. I ordered another pair before they all disappear since they changed the SG4. I also ordered a pair of the new Sacuony Xodus 10 that is supposed to be cushy but more stable than the SG. Will see. I miss my speed crosses, but they make the ball of my left foot hurt.

First trail race that was planned for this spring now postponed until the fall. Still training for a 55K that will hopefully happen this summer.

I like this guy Seth James Demoor. Super fast, full of info and positive inspiration.

He is talking about how to maintain focus and doing solo time trials on dates that races would have happened.

Got me thinking, that bike path I always run on is just about perfect 13.1 one way from here to the next little town. Maybe wait another month for snow to melt and focus on that...

iscariot