Page 119 of 144 FirstFirst ... 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 ... LastLast
Results 2,951 to 2,975 of 3597
    Anybody got an old running vest laying around? Willing to pay, but not a lot as I don't need a lot. I don't mind if it's old and ratty, just looking for something to hold my phone and a little bit of water as my runs are starting to regularly exceed the amount of time I like to go without hydration (I can't stand holding bottles)

A nice afternoon with the dog today. 4 miles, 1700 vert, lotsa rocks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210424_170247.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	372618Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210424_170252.jpeg 
Views:	60 
Size:	221.2 KB 
ID:	372619

Things are starting to melt out so I'm finally getting out. Two runs this week, 5mi with 4k vert and 6mi with 2.5k. Happy that legs are feeling strong after ski season and the twinge in my knee is gone from last summer.

Holy shit, 21 dead in China after extreme weather during a 100k race.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ce-gansu-china

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Holy shit, 21 dead in China after extreme weather during a 100k race.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ce-gansu-china
    WTF?!? No weather forecasting in China?

Great afternoon with the doggo yesterday. 7.5 miles, 2600 vert, perfect temps, perfect trail condition, total solitude once we got higher up.

Name:	20210529_163440.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	375993Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210529_153712.jpeg 
Views:	46 
Size:	213.1 KB 
ID:	375994Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210529_164227.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	208.3 KB 
ID:	375995Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210529_164041.jpeg 
Views:	52 
Size:	220.0 KB 
ID:	375996

Nice DTM!

Finally did the Boulder Skyline Traverse a few weeks ago (~18mi, 5.6k climbing). It kicked my butt, but it was a fun and foggy day out.

Of course I got humbled by a Boulder guy that was doing the traverse out *and* back (so, double my day) and was running up S Boulder Peak at mile ~20 for him at 8am. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1623037357.383610.jpg 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	376556

Name:	Image1623037389.245934.jpg 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	376557

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Nice fool!

From today’s therapy session…

Name:	IMG_2068.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	221.5 KB 
ID:	377090

Name:	IMG_2065.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	218.9 KB 
ID:	377091

That's money! Love running the fisherman's trail at the rivers edge!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Work has me trading trail views for city, but it was a perfect evening for a run.

I've been training for the Beaverhead 55k on July 10. I had a slow start to my training and upping my mileage. Was replacing one run a week with biking to avoid injury, so only running 4 days a week. Started having foot pain about 5 weeks ago. Rested it, tried slowly running again and pain came back. I was sure i had stress fractured my foot. Learned something new today, turns out its cuboid syndrome. Dr. said my options were 6-8 weeks of rest or a steroid shot and should feel better in a few days. I took the shot. I think I will still try and still train but maybe I'll end up just hiking it on race day and aim to be DFL. The cut-offs are pretty generous and I've done the race before, A friend that was doing the race with me has a bad case of patellar tendonitis so she's questionable.

Hey running mags I need some help. I've entered to run in a stage race approximately 11 to 12 miles a day 3 days in a row. All trail running between 4000 to 9000ft elevation. Race is at the end of September. My running experience is running from the cops in high school. Recommendations on how to train for this thing, guide me to a good website etc. My goal is to simply finish/make the checkpoints before I get disqualified.

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    Hey running mags I need some help. I've entered to run in a stage race approximately 11 to 12 miles a day 3 days in a row. All trail running between 4000 to 9000ft elevation. Race is at the end of September. My running experience is running from the cops in high school. Recommendations on how to train for this thing, guide me to a good website etc. My goal is to simply finish/make the checkpoints before I get disqualified.
    You're screwed. But seriously, end of September is probably enough time if you are fairly fit to start. For people that have really never run, your biggest risk is injuring yourself from overuse. Running is repetitive and it takes time to build up the strength to endure those repetitions.

For people that have never run before, I recommend Couch to 5k to establish a base before starting any training for something bigger. You don't have time for that.

Hal Higdon has really solid training plans. Take a look at the half marathon plan, which is 12 weeks long. Ideally you'd be starting that with a running base. Do your training on trails if possible, stick to the plan, and as you said, do your stage race just barely fast enough to finish, not to win.

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-p...half-marathon/

How much elevation gain/loss is there in those 11-12 mile stages? What are the time cutoffs?

I'd probably start with a "Couch to Half-Marathon" type program and do as much of the training as possible on terrain similar to your race stages. Pace yourself carefully on the first two days.

And don’t end up with cuboid syndrome! .Even though I had a slow start to my training, I had an extended training planned out so I wouldn’t get injured. I started about 3 weeks later than planned but still had plenty of time to train for the Beavehead until I became injured.

Good luck!

Thanks for link Buke, I will check it out.

DTM, the first six miles day one are between 7000 and 8500, the last 6 are down up 8000 to 4500 to 8000 with smaller up and downs between. The next two days are mellower in that the elevation sits in the 4000 to 5000 range with maybe one or two big climbs. From what I can tell day one will be the most difficult.

Jenny, I am working hard to not be injured. Which is why I am consulting the TGR experts.

One more question. The distance per day doesn't scare me. I think I could probably make it through one day even now. What I'm trying to figure out is how I do that distance 3 days in a row and what steps I need to take to recover from day to day. I am already forcing myself to run daily on tired legs to just to get used to running on tired legs. Not trying to overdo it just trying to teach my body to deal.

I am already forcing myself to run daily on tired legs to just to get used to running on tired legs.
    Hi Injury! No, don't get up, I'll come to you.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

I am already forcing myself to run daily on tired legs to just to get used to running on tired legs. Not trying to overdo it just trying to teach my body to deal.
    Way to early for that, focus on base fitness for now. The main thing that will help you get through Days 2-3 is good base fitness and not blowing yourself up on Day 1.

eta: Absolutely do not run every day! Training breaks you down, you get stronger/fitter on your rest days.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    I've been training for the Beaverhead 55k on July 10. I had a slow start to my training and upping my mileage. Was replacing one run a week with biking to avoid injury, so only running 4 days a week. Started having foot pain about 5 weeks ago. Rested it, tried slowly running again and pain came back. I was sure i had stress fractured my foot. Learned something new today, turns out its cuboid syndrome. Dr. said my options were 6-8 weeks of rest or a steroid shot and should feel better in a few days. I took the shot. I think I will still try and still train but maybe I'll end up just hiking it on race day and aim to be DFL. The cut-offs are pretty generous and I've done the race before, A friend that was doing the race with me has a bad case of patellar tendonitis so she's questionable.
    Sorry to hear this! Hopefully the DFL goal works out.

Running, Anyone...?

^^^All great advice upthread….

Here’s my take from a 50yo former “athlete” turned “runner”……

-Figure out daily runs (what distance/# of days a week works best for you)…..
    -Saturdays off
    -Sunday long run (start at your daily run distance)…and every Sunday just increase by a mile……

When doing my race/marathon training:

-5 mi/day with speed increase each mile. (Treadmill can actually help with this)
    -Saturday off
    -Sunday long run (even/race pace)….I’m currently at 10mi…..(have my weeks planned to be at 25 mi. a couple weeks from my race day)(I increase 1 mile every Sunday…)
    *Adjust accordingly if body doesn’t feel “right”.

It’s a slow approach…..use a calendar to plan it out so u can slowly adjust your mileage to get where u need to be for your races…..I actually write my mileage into the calendar…..it gives me motivation to see what I need to do to get where I need to be.

The key is though….putting miles in on those daily runs…..and then taking nice, slow “long runs”….getting your body/legs/feet used to running for 2+ hours……

If just starting…you will be sore…..just do it…running the next day will get that lactic acid out of your legs…and you’ll feel better as you do it….you will build strength. It will happen.

Good luck….my explanations sometimes suck, so apologize ahead of time if my methods are “out there”.
    Last edited by BC.; 06-16-2021 at 04:09 AM.

It's really easy to over do it when training for a race, especially if you're fired up for it. Here are a few more recommendations:

-You need to add volume and intensity very carefully. Don't increase mileage/time (depending on what you are counting) more than about 10% a week.

-If you add any speed work don't add mileage at the same time. Maybe even back off a little.

-When you start feeling generally fatigued back off for a week (reduce volume by 25% or so). This should leave you feeling pretty fresh, and you can then go back to adding 10% to the previous week's volume. Doing this once every two or three weeks can make you stronger.

-Heat = intensity. If you hit a string of 95 degree days you need to slow down and maybe even reduce volume.

-You need to run at a comfortable pace most of the time. You should be able to talk comfortably while you run. It's ok if this pace fluctuates. It's ok if you walk, especially uphill. You're not a highly trained machine. But because you're new to this as long as you keep running and don't injure yourself you will get faster and increase your endurance pretty steadily.

-Things like running on tired legs, or running on an empty stomach are legit BUT you are probably better off not doing this. It's just going to increase your injury risk. Even people who do benefit from these strategies don't need to do it with any frequency. Something like back to back 8 miles runs a couple weeks before the race would be enough.

-Lose weight. If you're not skinny right now, losing weight will make this challenge easier.

Note that all of the above is about not getting hurt. That is what will stop you. Not the stuff you're worried about.

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    It's really easy to over do it when training for a race, especially if you're fired up for it. Here are a few more recommendations:

-You need to add volume and intensity very carefully. Don't increase mileage/time (depending on what you are counting) more than about 10% a week.

-If you add any speed work don't add mileage at the same time. Maybe even back off a little.

-When you start feeling generally fatigued back off for a week (reduce volume by 25% or so). This should leave you feeling pretty fresh, and you can then go back to adding 10% to the previous week's volume. Doing this once every two or three weeks can make you stronger.

-Heat = intensity. If you hit a string of 95 degree days you need to slow down and maybe even reduce volume.

-You need to run at a comfortable pace most of the time. You should be able to talk comfortably while you run. It's ok if this pace fluctuates. It's ok if you walk, especially uphill. You're not a highly trained machine. But because you're new to this as long as you keep running and don't injure yourself you will get faster and increase your endurance pretty steadily.

-Things like running on tired legs, or running on an empty stomach are legit BUT you are probably better off not doing this. It's just going to increase your injury risk. Even people who do benefit from these strategies don't need to do it with any frequency. Something like back to back 8 miles runs a couple weeks before the race would be enough.

-Lose weight. If you're not skinny right now, losing weight will make this challenge easier.

Note that all of the above is about not getting hurt. That is what will stop you. Not the stuff you're worried about.
    ^^^This is spot on…

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    It's ok if you walk, especially uphill.
    This, too. Walk/power hike everything more than a gentle uphill grade. Running uphill is way more physically taxing but only marginally faster.