Page 124 of 144 FirstFirst ... 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 ... LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,100 of 3600
    Timber, did you see this guy?

https://twitter.com/FloTrack/status/...SuTyqXiJvJrhFQ

70 years old, runs a 13.47-second 100 meters. Incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Timber, did you see this guy?

https://twitter.com/FloTrack/status/...SuTyqXiJvJrhFQ

70 years old, runs a 13.47-second 100 meters. Incredible.
    Damn.

Why is it so hard for people to follow leash laws? So many times I'm running trails around my suburban neighborhood and people have their little miracle off leash and he immediately starts "protecting" his owner when I come running up.

2 bikini clad 20 somethings sitting at the riverside on the trail. The dog comes charging up to me while I'm running and they like oh he's friendly. I said he doesn't look friendly. Then he starts ruining around looking like he's getting all cra cra and they say oh he's just trying to play. So I say I don't want to play today I'm just out for a run. Fucking people.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I don't know, but it drives me fucking nuts. I have a reactive rescue that I run with. We've done tons of behavioral work to get him where he is. He's now OK running by dogs at some distance. But the number of numbnuts who either don't have dogs on leash OR have massive extendo useless leashes that allow their dogs to get right up in mines' business is too damn high. Honestly its why I prefer running in shitty conditions than on the primo days around town because there are far fewer bozo dog owners.

Anywho -- ran my first race this weekend that was a total letdown. To be fair, i've only run about 10 races in my life, and tend to set reasonable goals and train effectively. But I got a cold for first time in 2 years during race week. It was a relay so no bitching out and just not running, but ran 45sec/mi off my target pace. It was kinda nice 1/3rd away through my leg I couldn't run my target and just settled in to enjoy the hurt. Now on to the next thing--goal is to run the Boulder Skyline traverse before mid-June when I spend a week on a bus as a "mechanic" drinking a fuckton of beer with old dudes.
    Last edited by doebedoe; 05-18-2022 at 09:15 AM.

Last summer my wife and I (temporarily) moved somewhere where the trails, while being in a beautiful coastal rainforest, are not that inspiring for mountain biking. They're old school: tight, twisty, rooty with minimal flow. Think bike trails from the 90s. But they are great for running on - so I decided once ski season was over I'd focus on running.

I don't have years of running foundation underneath me - and my goal is a 50km race in August that has 8500ft of climbing and a similar amount of descent. We'll see if I hit a wall in my training or injure myself along the way. So far so good - last weekend I did 30km with 4400 ft in climbing on technical trails. I'm prepared to back out of this plan if I start to see symptoms of overtraining.

A couple of weekends ago I was up by the arctic circle so had to do 26km on the road as the trails are a month behind schedule with melting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7305.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	790.8 KB 
ID:	416725

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Why is it so hard for people to follow leash laws? So many times I'm running trails around my suburban neighborhood and people have their little miracle off leash and he immediately starts "protecting" his owner when I come running up.

2 bikini clad 20 somethings sitting at the riverside on the trail. The dog comes charging up to me while I'm running and they like oh he's friendly. I said he doesn't look friendly. Then he starts ruining around looking like he's getting all cra cra and they say oh he's just trying to play. So I say I don't want to play today I'm just out for a run. Fucking people.
    I got into it with a neighbor about this the other day. Dog was in my yard barking at me with no owner around. Then later the same dog came flying out barking at my kids riding their bikes.

I experience the same thing all the time running in an urban setting. Why is your dog out in the middle of the road barking at me and why shouldn’t I kick it in the face when it charges out barking?

People are dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    I got into it with a neighbor about this the other day. Dog was in my yard barking at me with no owner around...
    People are dumb.
    I recently have gotten into running more so than at any other point in my life, so came here to post about running.
    But yeah thats bullshit. Wife and I have already have been harassed by shitheads dogs a few times the past few weeks. She's got the fear now which makes it worse I think. We had one close call trying to get a run in on vacation a few weeks ago. A pit bull charged at us from its yard. Luckily the owner was outside and able to get the dog to come back, but barely...I've spent a big chunk of life playing and working outside and can't recall any issues with aggressive dogs besides the past few months. Same shit - dogs coming into my yard, no owner around, running into the street and barking at me, etc.

More people are sucking more and more

Anyways...Have gotten into running and enjoying it more than previous attempts. I used to try and run too fast & too far too soon. I'd end up not enjoying running and often injured. Last attempt was when I was living in a mountain range that lacked many decent mtb options. Couldn't figure out the running thing and just ended up suffering on mtb rides instead. But the idea of trail running to cover distance in wilderness areas has been bouncing around in my head for a few years. Corny as it sounds my wife grabbed the Born to Run book on tape for a road trip. That was the spark that got us into running again. I'm doing the whole minimalist/barefoot thing with Luna Sandals too and really enjoying that.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post

Anywho -- ran my first race this weekend that was a total letdown. To be fair, i've only run about 10 races in my life, and tend to set reasonable goals and train effectively. But I got a cold for first time in 2 years during race week. It was a relay so no bitching out and just not running, but ran 45sec/mi off my target pace. It was kinda nice 1/3rd away through my leg I couldn't run my target and just settled in to enjoy the hurt. Now on to the next thing--goal is to run the Boulder Skyline traverse before mid-June when I spend a week on a bus as a "mechanic" drinking a fuckton of beer with old dudes.
    What race did you do?

I’d love to do the traverse some day, it’s on my list, along with a buncha other stuff. I get lazy and end up running from the house all the time due to time constraints etc. But I got a trail half and trail full marathon in fall that I need to start putting some vert in for.

Colfax Relay -- friend of mines charity/non-profit has a team every year. Which is great cause I deal with 0 logistics, wife drives our minivan as the team beer shuttle, and the charity always has adoptable puppies at the end. I try to run first or last leg each year as a 10k time trial. Ran 48:30 last year (around 7:50mi), this year was 51:30 . Based on training was hoping to run sub 47, but shit happens.

What fall trail marathon are you running? I've never run a full but have the itch to run a trail full or 50k. But I need it to be in late Sept / Oct realistically. As I have two week long vacations planned this summer that are going to kill my liver and training.

doebedoe- I’m doing Black Squirrel half in Sept and Blue Sky full in Oct. Both put on by gnar runners

https://gnarrunners.com/

If you or any other front range runners want to get together for some trail runs I’d be interested. I’m not fast ;-)

If any of you guys want to escape the heat and come up to Summit, my house is within a half mile of some fun trailheads. Starting to dry out on the S facing stuff around here. I'm also very slow.

Also, I enjoyed this running book a lot lately: https://amzn.to/3yPi2gq

One of my favorite spots to run. The bird song in the early mornings during the spring and summer is spectacular as it's a designated wildlife area adjacent to the Platte.
    Name:  20220602_114838-01.jpeg
Views: 366
Size:  234.4 KB
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

Quote Originally Posted by stapes View Post
    doebedoe- I’m doing Black Squirrel half in Sept and Blue Sky full in Oct. Both put on by gnar runners

https://gnarrunners.com/

If you or any other front range runners want to get together for some trail runs I’d be interested. I’m not fast ;-)
    Sweet haven't looked into those. I'm not fast but down for a trail run.
    EDIT: Ran a half on the Blue Sky course last weekend. Lovely place to run.

Quote Originally Posted by cravenmorhead View Post
    If any of you guys want to escape the heat and come up to Summit, my house is within a half mile of some fun trailheads. Starting to dry out on the S facing stuff around here. I'm also very slow.

Also, I enjoyed this running book a lot lately: https://amzn.to/3yPi2gq
    Summit has some great runs. Should be good in next week or two?

Thanks for pointing out Brendans new book -- I enjoyed his first one (I Hate Running). Just ordered this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    One of my favorite spots to run. The bird song in the early mornings during the spring and summer is spectacular as it's a designated wildlife area adjacent to the Platte.
    Name:  20220602_114838-01.jpeg
Views: 366
Size:  234.4 KB
    Nice with a bit of shade too.

My pup was upset he wasn't allowed to herd the elk this morning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	n-s2H3VSEeWMlR_S5gsKzqNx4TLPTPeSdBQIEerlDwc-2048x1536.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	688.8 KB 
ID:	418013

Race season is upon us!

I started a Running Club and it is going great! 35 FB members with 5-6 actually showing up. Awesome for creating accountability and talking to people on runs instead of my dog the last 5 years, literally. Wednesday night easy run from Brewery parking lot and Saturday long runs through wilderness.

I just did a 12k, my first race of the year, the other day. Its was painful but I survived. (21th out of 700) Ran it like a 10k, died the last mile as planned lol

-June 18 Road Half Marathon, fast course, would love to break PR 1:19:40

- July 23 Crow Pass Crossing 22 mile through rugged mountains, never done it. Winners barely break 3 hours, aiming for 3:30

- July 30 Hope 50 miler, never done it, gonna hurt as it is a week after the Crow Pass Race. I never gone past 30 mile run... would like to break 10 hours

- Aug 13 Kesugi Ridge 30 miler, never done it, gonna hurt, nice scenery though

-Oct 1 Girdwood Marathon, done it a few times, always hurts. 45 degree rain and wind = fun!

Oh yeah, just today I bought "Uphill Athlete" from Barnes and Noble.
    have not even cracked the spine... gonna be a busy summer!

Finally got some clear weather out here in Seattle and was able to get my first Mailbox Peak of the year. Still shaking the rust off the legs, but a good start. 5.5mi, 4k vert in 2:20. I'll never get tired of the Rainier views.

Prolly a silly question but what's everyone doing for ultralight hooded sun shirts these days? I have a great Saucony one and went to buy another but they no longer make the hooded version I liked so I'm in the market for something else. Needs to have thumb holes and be fairly trim fitting...

Truwerks makes a reasonably priced Sun hoody. Worth a peek.

Cruiser I’ve been thinking I need a sun hoody for running lately too. I wear a Patagonia one and some other off brand one for fishing Al the time. There’s a buncha options in that space that’d probably work just fine for running as well.

Sometimes for running shirts I just go cheap at Target or something cuz I stank em up after a year or so and they end up getting tossed

The Cormac hoody from Arcteryx is spendy but nice. Probably need to try on depending on how trim fitting you want it to be.

The OR echo hoody also looks like good option.

I have three.

Fave is the old tropic comfort from gucci. It's not a trim fit -- pretty loose -- i believe "relaxed" in their terminology which I personally like for trail runs. Thumb loop holes and a button closure at the neck keeps it up on windy days.

I have one of their new "daily" capilienes. Same fabric but trimmer fit. I could be OK with the fit but the length of arms also got shortened vs the tropic comfort. If I were to buy again i'd probably upsize just for longer arms and a bit more loose/flowy in the torso. No button on the hood which is good/bad to some. Has thumb loops.

OR Echo. Lightest weight but also less sun protection. Unfortunately I ruined mine from running in public because i wore squirrel nut butter on my nips one day and they are now stained and look horrible. Also wears the worst -- noticeable pilling after a couple of runs with a vest on.

I just bought two cheapo ones for $20 a pop from Columbia. No thumb loops but fabric feels OK.

So, I'm deep into training for a 43 mile ultra (The Bigfoot 40). I have a 2 week road trip from Seattle to Yellowstone and back coming up (6-27 through 7-8) We're going to be camping for 5 nights in Grant Village. I fully realize that I won't be running 50-60 miles a week while on this trip but I'm hoping to still log a number of 4-10 mile runs throughout the trip and not fall too far behind on training while on vacation.

So, for those with experience in Brown Bear country, what do you recommend? I figured a bear bell would be good but as I've googled it it sounds like they really don't do anything. My wife carries a little pepper spray canister when she walks at night. I figured I'd just run with that but the more I read about it, it turns out pepper spray is not bear spray and it looks like most true bear spray devices won't be very easy to run with in hand. I could clip to my vest but that seems like it will be clumsy to access in the even that I really need it.

In the PNW I've always just concluded that the risk of a bad wildlife encounter was so unlikely that it isn't worth worrying about. I'm not sure the same logic applies in Yellowstone. On the other hand, there have only been 10 bear related deaths in Yellowstone since 1900, maybe the risk is overblown? Thoughts?

Also, I'm open to any suggestions for possible routes. I'll be with my wife and 3 kids (ages 7-11) so I need to be careful to work my training around the families needs. One thing I'm considering is getting dropped off at the Dogshead Trailhead early in the morning, then my wife and the kids can go back to camp and have a lazy breakfast before heading toward Old Faithful and they can just pick me up at the DeLacy Creek Trail (https://caltopo.com/m/LM0CD).

I run with a bear spray in one of the water bottle sleeves on the front of a run vest pack. Doesn’t bounce around and is close enough for rapid deployment.

This discussion about sun hoodies is timely. I was looking into them briefly about a week ago.

The Arcteyrx Cormac hoody was mentioned. I bought the Cormac zip neck 3 years ago. Between that and a roughly 12 year old Patagonia zip neck lightweight top, I basically don't run in anything else. The Cormac shirt is great and has proven to be super durable. I won't be surprised if I get another 5 years out of it. With that said, my one complaint about the Cormac is that the fabric isn't stretchy so it's not really possible to pull the sleeves up if I'm overheating. For the most part that doesn't matter because I can unzip the top. I realize that defeats the purpose of a sun shirt but it's really nice to be able to strip it down in really hot weather.

Anyone tried these for running, biking, fishing or rafting?

https://www.amazon.com/Willit-Protec...s%2C193&sr=8-3

First run of the season in a smokey haze. Not that great.