Page 99 of 144 FirstFirst ... 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,475 of 3600
    Since mid July I've had a race about every 2 weeks and it has been interesting to modify normal training habits with these climax sessions and learn to deal with 'real' recovery issues.

Means more rest days more then anything and consistent stretching.

But dang, I had first hockey game of season last Thursday and gimped myself real good. Having tons of fitness thrown in on unique muscle groups equal pain town.

Could barely walk so I decide to go to a real track and try some actual 400s , you know just to reblast legs into comfortable place ( makes sense right?!)

Managed 5x 400 at 1:12-15 with 400 jog in between. General fatigue yesterday and today but here I am , itching to go out...

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Dan, did you ever see a PT about your ITBS? My go-to PT believes - which I agree with - that ITBS is generally due to lack of hip alignment and lower back issues. When I suffered from ITBS, she came in, watched me run, saw my issues (I wouldn't have been able to notice them), bent me like a pretzel for a bit and gave me instructions to perform a few basic stretches and roll the IT Band: four weeks later I was running. I believe rolling the IT band is important for running maintenance - I'm sure you do that - but that ITBS can be treated by far more than rolling/stretching, as some PT's frequently (and only) advocate.

Anyway, you should do a 100 at some point! I'm definitely intrigued by the one in your backyard, Wasatch 100.
    Missed this. Yeah, I saw a PT. His opinion was that it was the result of poor quadriceps flexibility. Worked on that for a while, then had months of Morton's Neuroma issues that ended in resection surgery and recovery, bike skills improved and serious running just kinda fell off the radar. Day-to-day the IT band is fine, but I did do a 25-mile/7k run a few years back and it was starting to flare up during the last mile or so. I don't work it regularly now and should, but it's hard to motivate to do so when it's only a problem after running 4+ hours which I never do any more.

As for 100s in general, I'd like to do one just to say I did, but the motivation just isn't there with how much I enjoy riding my bike these days. I've also become convinced that they're not good for your long-term health.

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    Managed 5x 400 at 1:12-15 with 400 jog in between. General fatigue yesterday and today but here I am , itching to go out...
    Taking it easy? I'm surprised your times weren't faster considering you ran a half at a ~6 min/mile pace.

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    OldLarry, are you running NYC?
    Toronto, oddly
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    Toronto, oddly
    At least it’s not gonna be blazing hot!
    Good luck and come back to share the race with us!!

Man you guys are killing it. I still get out prob 3-5 days a week anywhere from 20-60 min. Kinda quit tracking miles just put in headphones and go run. Nothing like some of the numbers in here ! Mental as much as physical necessity for me. Working from home a lot makes it fairly easy to get out. Shit today I had a string of meetings but snuck out for 20 min before and after my last one.

Cool mornings have been great as well. Ready for full on fall days.

Sorry to hear about your loss, Carp, but it sounds like you're creating a great tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    I did the thing you're not supposed to do when starting to run: spooled things up too fast and got myself shin splints.

Started working through Training for the New Alpinism heading towards winter. I was paying attention to not spooling up the total training load too quickly, but after feeling good on some 3 or so mile runs, I did 4.5 and 5.5 mile runs this week, and I'm feeling it in my shins. Nothing major, but enough to be uncomfortable. Have new shoes fitted by a good running shop, so I don't think that's the issue. I'll plan to work on shortening stride length a bit. Planning on doing some icing/foam rolling and rest this week, but any other advice for recovery would be appreciated.
    Also, Vit D / Iron supplements might not be the worst idea. I hired a coach, he recomended me to get them checked, and my Vit D was really low, and this is pretty common for endurance athletes (and might have explained some of my other minor health issues). See here: https://trailrunnermag.com/nutrition...d-runners.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Missed this. Yeah, I saw a PT. His opinion was that it was the result of poor quadriceps flexibility. Worked on that for a while, then had months of Morton's Neuroma issues that ended in resection surgery and recovery, bike skills improved and serious running just kinda fell off the radar. Day-to-day the IT band is fine, but I did do a 25-mile/7k run a few years back and it was starting to flare up during the last mile or so. I don't work it regularly now and should, but it's hard to motivate to do so when it's only a problem after running 4+ hours which I never do any more.

As for 100s in general, I'd like to do one just to say I did, but the motivation just isn't there with how much I enjoy riding my bike these days. I've also become convinced that they're not good for your long-term health.
    Fair enough on the PT, though part of me thinks having a look from another PT might make sense. But, if you're enjoying your bike - and never run that long - who cares? Agreed, not sure 100s make the most sense, but it's an interesting experience to partake in.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    2:01:39. Unreal.
    Ridiculous. Below is a post from Tim Tollefson, a 2x American Olympic Trails Marathon runner and a very strong ultra runner (2x UTMB podium). I can't imagine being as fast as he is, and he's still not decently far away from Eliud.

Name:  Tim.JPG
Views: 300
Size:  61.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Once you're done a few, it's not so bad.

Carp, PM me if you need experienced volunteer help for your event. I've worked many races and have done pretty much everything except being the actual race director.
    Yeah, I know just enough to get in trouble. Of course I broke first rule of Fight Club and went to FB to arouse interest in my unpermitted event. There soon after I get notice from Chugach State Park Superintendent to cease and desist as event organizer. Then I stopped by their office and explained that it was really more of a group hike sort of thing and only a few people are doing it. I guess as long as it is under 20 ppl not on the radar. But yes now we are on the radar.

I asked if cops were gonna be waiting at trail head and she said 'pretty much'. I like 'dang, I won't do good in jail.'

So now event is off FB a few folks might show. I am looking forward to a awesome loop more then anything, but now all paranoid about all these rules in the mountains.

Taking it easy? I'm surprised your times weren't faster considering you ran a half at a ~6 min/mile pace.
    My troll detector is tingling but I'll bite

Thurs: Hockey blew out new muscle groups
    Friday: rest (well, work 10 hours commercial construction)
    Saturday: Hiked 3000ft scoping access and marking trail for above mention illegal race. 3 hours RT
    Sunday: Sore and fatigued, tried to blast legs into comfortable place with 400 intervals (I say that because hockey put legs in uncomfortable place. My right hip was all popping when walking and groin tight as shit )

All in context of conversation about different methods of recovery or active recovery. And recognize difference between active recovery within a training session and active recovery the next day (or days after for that matter)

I'll hit the track fresh for ya next time! Gonna be running from the PoLease on saturday. Dodging helicopter SWAT team on ridge top sent to crack down on illegal mountain runners! RESIST!

I get notice from Chugach State Park Superintendent to cease and desist as event organizer.
    We had a similar situation in San Diego twenty or so years ago. A few of the Rats would do a twelve hour training run at Cowls Mountain in preparation for Angeles Crest 100. That training run morphed into an official, organized event, with entry fees and results being posted. That was a big Bozo No-No as far as County Sheriffs (or Park Police?) were concerned, once they found out. Following some dialog with that group that went nowhere, we held the event one final time in 1997 in "stealth mode" and got away with it.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Fair enough on the PT, though part of me thinks having a look from another PT might make sense. But, if you're enjoying your bike - and never run that long - who cares?
    Agreed on the former, but given the latter there's just not much motivation to do so.

Thurs: Hockey blew out new muscle groups
    Friday: rest (well, work 10 hours commercial construction)
    Saturday: Hiked 3000ft scoping access and marking trail for above mention illegal race. 3 hours RT
    Sunday: Sore and fatigued, tried to blast legs into comfortable place with 400 intervals (I say that because hockey put legs in uncomfortable place. My right hip was all popping when walking and groin tight as shit )
    That'd certainly slow me down!

I've got two pair of Mizuno Wave Kazan in US size 11 (44.5 Euro) if anyone would like to buy them. I could part with one pair or both. $30 for one pair and $50 for both plus shipping if that seems fair.

We pulled off our big 'race' yesterday despite marginal conditions in the morning. The Park Superintendent had called the the day before and I told him that maybe 4-5 people were gonna show up and he was like "oh yo can have up to 20 people before we really care."

Enthusiasm was dampened by the mini monsoon that rolled in friday night. It called for an inch of rain that would ease off by saturday morning. It hasn't rained in over a month and of course it is gonna pour now. 7am I look out and it is spitting nasty rain with low ceiling and new snow on peaks at back of valley. Dang, I text my one friend who I knew was coming to tell him to wait an hour but he was already driving. I guess we're doing it...

We cruised to the proposed start and a couple cop cars were sitting there in the rain and no people around. I think the cops were just having breakfast in diner but we jetted and decided to start in Bird Creek and run course backwards. (from good weather to bad, hoping the bad would clear out by the time we backtracked)

We topped out to ridge 4000' in 2 hours at a leisurely pace. Not excited to get into 40 mph raking wind that must be waiting up there. It was calm and nice enough though my hand were cold and feet soaked from wet grass down low.

Things got technical quick. More gnar then I remember from last time I was up there in 2002ish

"Look at those ski lines!" I say

The weather held perfect, clouds in and out to keep us cool but not enough to obscure route completely

It was a real nice mix of technical ridge with flat cruising tundra track with amazing scenery all around. We weren't really racing but keeping quick pace and remembering story after story of our lost friend.

Ended up way out left end of photo then descend to valley.

We didn't bring enough food or water but luckily the weather held off and we made safe passage. Went off 3 cliff bars, 5 Gu packs and 2 liters of electrolite water. And holy hell I wish I had brought extra socks like I planned. My wet feet just festered and rubbed all day. Horrible gimpy descend to finish line. Car to car was 8:24:00 (was trying to break 8 hours but so hungry at end we were eating blue berries lol) 13 miles or so with 9000' vert in the mix

Seems fun now but there were a few hours in there that were unpleasant. I guess that is why we do this shit??! Character building, yeah, that's it.

Sick! Those stats are burly.

Loving Fall. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180930_144157635_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	249106Name:  IMG_20180930_143555922_HDR.jpeg
Views: 254
Size:  67.6 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180930_145311663_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	249108Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180930_184229217_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	249109

^^^ Love those trail shots!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Along the Platte this morningClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20181003_101141-01.jpeg 
Views:	55 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	249423
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I don't run any more and I just got a warranty-replacement refurbished Forerunner 935 from Garmin, so thinking I'll sell. Looks like a refurb can be had for $400, I'm thinking $350 shipped. Any interest? Price police?
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

I survived a trail marathon this morning and it wasn't pretty. I jumped into the lead off the get go. This was my first marathon distance race (outside of triathlon) and I was pretty sure id go out too hard, so I did.

The first 6 miles were quick with 8:30/miles. Then route became tight twisty root snarled trail with a lot of steep short ups and downs basically for the next 15 miles. maybe 40% of entire course would be considered 'muddy'.
    Lots of quick feet and trying to keep dry feet as long as possible. Lots of steep chase style log jumps and whatnot.

At mile 12 I was 2hours even (10 min /mile) No one around. Following fresh bear tracks for 3-4 miles, and had close run in with huge bull moose.

There is a 3.2 mile out and back section with the turnaround being approx. mile 15. The trail devolved into nasty rock pile stuff covered in leaves. Ankle twisty ground. I kept think I was close to turn around and was loosing hope and energy quickly. Had to walk numerous short steep sections.

2nd place guy caught me right at the turnaround and he was cruising. I struggled on the return and was passed by another guy about mile 18. I was deep in bonk territory. Carried 2 Gu packs and 2 gel chew packs and no water. Planned on drinking from streams along the way. I would steal a sip here and there but felt pursued by a pack of wolves.

Probably only drank liter total. We pulled out onto nice wide gravel path for last 5 miles and I was feeling surprisingly refreshed. Then my right hamstring seized up. Dehyration. stopped me in my tracks. 30 seconds later it subsided and I kept at it.

I knew there was a guy couple hundred yards back slowly reeling me in. Then with 2 miles remaining, my left groin hamstring combo seized. Wow! That shit will stop you dead.

The last mile is climbing up broad grassy ski hill run. I knew the guy would be able to see me hobbling and he could smell blood. Right as he caught me I had full double leg cramps, lol. Seriously 5 minutes from finish at this point. He passed easily, I came across finish 2 minutes later in 4th.

4:20:30 @ 10 min/mile average with 2200 vert or so. Winner was 4:08.

I drove home and laid on the couch on deaths door for a while. My stomach was topsy turvy and i had to eat carefully.

6 hours later I'm feeling better. Half marathon next saturday on pavement will be a joy after this. Last big race of my season...

Rough!

Back up Bells today. Steep rugged descending to prep the legs for ski season.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181007_124142745_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	213.9 KB 
ID:	249965Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181007_125416656_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	230.7 KB 
ID:	249966Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181007_130424655_HDR.jpeg 
Size:	210.9 KB 
ID:	249967Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181007_131011866_HDR.jpeg 
Size:	222.5 KB 
ID:	249968Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181007_131217277_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	249969Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181007_131922143_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	40 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	249970

Rough!

Back up Bells today. Steep rugged descending to prep the legs for ski season.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181007_124142745_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	213.9 KB 
ID:	249965Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181007_125416656_HDR.jpeg 
Size:	230.7 KB 
ID:	249966Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181007_130424655_HDR.jpeg 
Size:	210.9 KB 
ID:	249967Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181007_131011866_HDR.jpeg 
Size:	222.5 KB 
ID:	249968Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181007_131217277_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	249969Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181007_131922143_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	40 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	249970
    I’m hoping to do more of this before the lifts start spinning. How far did you go up?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Turned back where the trail disappears into the boulder field about half a mile below the lake.

I'm gonna do it at least once a week until skiing starts. Let's get out!

Turned back where the trail disappears into the boulder field about half a mile below the lake.

I'm gonna do it at least once a week until skiing starts. Let's get out!
    Yea man I’d love to. Hit me up.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    Yea man I’d love to. Hit me up.
    Will do, planning on Sunday again. Do a few sets of leg blasters this week if you want to be able to walk on Monday