Page 41 of 144 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 3600
    1000th reply. (1001st post in this thread.)

Obligatory running content: I just signed up for the Across The Years 72-hour race in Arizona this winter. http://www.acrosstheyears.com/cgi-bi...up.cgi?rid=798

Good luck man, that sounds amazing!

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Dan - congratulations. 12,000 ft of vertical in 30 miles is burly. good stuff

could we get a bit of color on what is going on behind you in this picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    could we get a bit of color on what is going on behind you in this picture.
    They run the tram in the summer, on any given afternoon there are all kinds of kooks up there.

Just got back from run 2 of my 3 week 1/2 marathon training. Ran about 13km I would guess. Pretty sore to start due to a tough CF workout yesterday but loosened up at about 35min. Finished the 11km 12 minutes faster than last week since I didn't have to walk any of it this time. I think the 1/2 might actually be doable.

Been doing lots of running as of late. The holidays in the alps were phenomenal trail running: no watches, ipods, heart rate monitors, just shoes and water. Awesome.

Tried my legs out on a 45k run last week (sunday) but couldn't motivate myself to run the last three (cramping). Still pretty chuffed I ran 42k just for shits and giggles.

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonically_Neglected View Post
    ...trail running: no watches, ipods, heart rate monitors, just shoes and water. Awesome!
    YES! This, people, is how it's done.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

picked up some new saucony omni 9's today. only ~2000 miles plus later than i should have. my feet will thank me soon

That's a pretty good idea.
    I know someone who is looking for a pacer if your up for it?
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

My first half this weekend. Shooting for 2:10. Its an aggressive goal for me. Trying to figure out what to eat between now and Sunday and how to carry snacks. Its supposed to be nice out in San Diego but this run ends on a two mile hill.

I may die.
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    I know someone who is looking for a pacer if your up for it?
    I already have a commitment that weekend, otherwise I would probably do it.

Quote Originally Posted by gonehuckin View Post
    My first half this weekend. Shooting for 2:10. Its an aggressive goal for me. Trying to figure out what to eat between now and Sunday and how to carry snacks. Its supposed to be nice out in San Diego but this run ends on a two mile hill.

I may die.
    The first 1/2 is a great accomplishment. As for food...I wouldn't alter what you normally eat. Stick to what you have been eating for your training. No need to mess around with something you tried already. Don't forget to eat some breakfast on sunday am too....even with race day stomach jitters...a piece of toast with some peanut butter and jelly 2 or so hours before your race will go a long way at mile 10.
    To carry snacks...you don't need that many...but again..how have you carried them in training? A gu or power shot is prob. all you are taking so try your hands. They work well. I've carried my house keys in every race i've done and haven't had a problem...you know...cause I have opposable thumbs.

The America's Finest City half?

GH - Drink if you're thirsty. For longer runs like a half, something like a Gu, shot blocks, etc might be good to have along and eat about every 45 minutes.

Police your pace and not get caught up in the excitement of the start by running the first mile too quickly. Try to keep your focus in close, on a mile to mile basis. Thinking about X miles left can be disheartening. There is bound to be plenty of hotties running the race to distract you.

A big carbo load is not anything you need to do for the half marathon distance. Still, eat a good dinner but perhaps earlier (6-7pm) than you normally might. Stick to normal foods on race morning.

You've done long hikes up mountains. Half marathons are similar in that you'll grind away with step after step, but you'll get there.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    piece of toast with some peanut butter and jelly 2 or so hours before your race will go a long way at mile 10.
    That wouldn't even cover me for the 2 hours before the race. 1 hr before the speedgoat start I was putting down 6 eggs, 4oz of sausage, 1 banana and 2 apricots. I was already eating something again barely more than an hour in.

GH - I would say drink on a schedule for at least the first hour or so. You can lose a lot of moisture before you perceive thirst so it helps prevent getting dehydrated early and playing catch-up, which is a losing battle. For food, gels are good calories but I seem to do better with real food. I like Larabars a lot, and you should need 1-3 max for a half. Is there food at aid stations?

Everyone is different, half the battle getting into longer distances is figuring out what works for you nutrition-wise.

That wouldn't even cover me for the 2 hours before the race. 1 hr before the speedgoat start I was putting down 6 eggs, 4oz of sausage, 1 banana and 2 apricots. I was already eating something again barely more than an hour in.
    Conversely, were I to eat this six hours before any race I'd puke.

Go with what you did in training? What did you eat before you went on training runs? When did you eat it? How did it make you feel? Training usually entails learning about what works for you. Listen to those lessons.

What works for me really can't be said to work for you and your body.

My first 1/2 marathon is a week from tomorrow. I'll eat like I would for a mountaineering trip or a long hike which is a light breakfast and then just hydration during the run. For my practice runs I haven't been taking water or anything and doing OK. They have Gu and gatorade at the water stations so between the 2 I think I'll be good.

I have no idea what my pacing or time will be like. I'm guessing that 1:40 might be doable if I can hold the pace I've been training at. It's going to be an interesting experience for sure.

If you plan on taking the gu and gatorade, use some in your training before hand.

You can always drop "aid stations" off along your running route

Thanks everyone. Having cashews chicken vegs and rice for dinner. Toast and pb for brk and a few shotblocks and gels in my pockets. Lots of water tonight. Tomorrow should be fairly straight forward. I've got four ten plus mile runs over the last four weeksbut I haven't done much in the way of watching food and drink before. In fact most have been with a nice hangover. I have a little heat on the inside of my right ankle from a light run I did on tues. I'm a little worried about it but I should be able to fight through it. I really need to drop lbs if I'm going to keep up this running.

Done.

Decided in may that I would run my first marathon,just for shits and giggles.
    Training went smoothly untill mid july when I tore something in inner thigh and the last month I could practically not run,only do some spins with the bike. But,thank god to handfull of painkillers got me through it,but what a miserable slog it was...

Groin was killing me until 5k and after that it numbed up a bit.
    The real problems started after 10k when legs broke down because of having to change my technique to avoid the groin pain...
    Have to say,had the most miserable 42km in my entire life there.. Uuuh...

But a nice experience,nevertheless. Dissapointed because of the injury,so I could give my original time plan of 3:30 a go,but,there will be others. And just to experience
    the vibe,the crowd and other runners was cool allso.My last competition was about 25 years ago,so the whole "Racing" thing was kind of new as well.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Congrats!

Thanks everyone. Having cashews chicken vegs and rice for dinner. Toast and pb for brk and a few shotblocks and gels in my pockets. Lots of water tonight. Tomorrow should be fairly straight forward. I've got four ten plus mile runs over the last four weeksbut I haven't done much in the way of watching food and drink before. In fact most have been with a nice hangover. I have a little heat on the inside of my right ankle from a light run I did on tues. I'm a little worried about it but I should be able to fight through it. I really need to drop lbs if I'm going to keep up this running.

Sounds like you have a good plan.
    Two things...start slower than your group/corral/people around you do...tons of people go out way too fast and just try to hang on. Take a mile or two to settle down and then see how you feel. Steady pacing for at least the first hour makes a big difference.
    Also the hangover isn't that bad...beer in moderation is great for running. Simple carbs, easy to digest.

Borrowed a friend's Garmin Forerunner 305 and I'm going to do my last long run before the race with it tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see what my pace and heart rate are doing.

Went ok. Better first ten k then my last ten k race. Felt awesome at ten miles. And absolutely blew up in the last three miles.

Went ok. Better first ten k then my last ten k race. Felt awesome at ten miles. And absolutely blew up in the last three miles.
    Hence the comments "beware of the early pace"...but good job regardless.

What was your final time? Did you hit your goal time?

missed my long run (18) this weekend b/c the wife was sick. Should I run it in the dark (and potential rain) tonight or is that just asking for trouble? Have bumble-bee vest/lights....
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent