Page 75 of 144 FirstFirst ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 3600
    Was wondering about you!
    Glad you were still running and do races!
    Good luck at the Hamptons!!

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    Good luck with the hip and back, nutmeg. When I trained for and ran ultras I always had a sore back and right hip after long runs.

Did that many times. Ultrarunners are big beer drinkers. I've seen more beer downed in post-ultra parties than in Lot 4. No, I'm not kidding.
    That I don't doubt. Nothing like post race re-hydration. I'll Half in a few weeks, unfortunately the beer sponsor is Michelob Light. We get a couple of free beers post run, but I can't drink that swill. Fortunately there are some good brew pubs and micro-breweries near the venue

Old Larry, good luck on your half. The last Long Beach half I did was sweltering, and I nearly had heat stroke by the end...not fun, so be careful.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    For now, I just wanna come in 5 hours.
    You are such a tease.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    You are such a tease.
    O4:59:59 is better?

Running, Anyone...?

So last time I was going into marathon training, I was already in a shape to run half marathon (02:10:00) and enjoyed every bit of 20 week program.
    This time, I had 1.5 year off because of my left foot injury and build up from 0 mile.
    Running is still hard even when it's only 3 miles.
    Broke my toe on top of that and focus is not there.
    Somehow I clocked in all the mileage I was required (I think it was 300... ) in 16 weeks.
    Most people get their PR at Chicago because the course is a lot easier than NYC.
    For me, I'm just hoping to finish within 5 hours.
    What a shame.
    I'll do better next time.

You are going to kill it! You have been training despite chronic pain from your toe/foot and the euphoria of the race day will carry you through and then you will be done needing to run for a bit and can take a break/do other activities and heal up

we should choose a marathon or trail running event and all meet up for one
    had a great time doing the JH Half with the MBillie's
    I also like eating and drinking good stuff before and after
    skid luxury

Running, Anyone...?

Thank you, b-bear.
    You are so kind.

I would love to meet and run a race together.
    You guys might have to wait on me to finish, but I will finish one or the other.

This was me at mile 23 "When is this going to end???!!!" face.
    Literally levitating to meet god.

great pic- captures the agony
    skid luxury

Anyone running Goldenleaf in Aspen this weekend?

Are the Hash House Harriers still around? There was a guy on our crew that was big in to HHH. Talk about running and lots of beer.

The guy who orgnaized the Harriman 25/50k trail run in Island Park last month had lots of ice cold beer at the end. It was lovely. Apparently he always makes sure there is plenty of beer at all his races.

And nutmegchoi, everyone is usually waiting for me. I'm the slowest of the slow! You'll do great in Chicago.

Thank you, Jenny.
    Good to have supportive girls around.
    Girls united!

Ran this a.m. The turn is rapidly approaching. Anyone got a recco for a running headlamp.

Ive never used one for running, but after almost faceplanting in the dark, I think it might be time.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Those $1 ones from Walmart are light, cheap, and bright. I love a fancy flashlight as much as the next guy but it's hard to knock the el cheapo wallyworld special! I buy them by the handful on the rare occasion that I'm there.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I run with a minimag flashlight. Makes a great weapon, too, I guess. Never needed it for that purpose.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

I use a Light & Motion Urban 900 bike headlight. Handlebar loop is perfect to use it handheld. Super bright and USB rechargeable.

Black Diamond Sprinter is pretty darn good. I had an older version that I lost and miss. It looked sort of clunky, but was less noticeable than a typical headlamp while running.

Ran my first ultra (50k) this past Sunday. It was hot. Too hot. Felt really good for the first 15 or so miles, but my legs were just cooked by mile 17 and I was relegated to walking the flats. I think the hike/run ratio during my training was a bit too skewed to the hiking side of things, but all of that vertical training paid off because I was still able to keep a good pace on the climbs even when I didn't feel like I could run. Finished in a little over 7 hours, so I can't be too upset with that considering the conditions.

I went into the race thinking that if it went reasonably well I'd sign up for the North Face 50 miler in November, but now I'm not so sure. I never bonked and when I finally got my legs back around the last half mile I was able to carry a 7:45/mile pace to the finish line, but I just don't know if 2 months is enough time to prep for 20 more miles.

Thank you, b-bear.
    You are so kind.

I would love to meet and run a race together.
    You guys might have to wait on me to finish, but I will finish one or the other.

This was me at mile 23 "When is this going to end???!!!" face.
    Literally levitating to meet god.

To clarify, you're the girl lookers left, dude middle, or dude lookers right walking?
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Running, Anyone...?

I’m 68132 who was dying at Central Park.

Running, Anyone...?

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    Ran my first ultra (50k) this past Sunday. It was hot. Too hot. Felt really good for the first 15 or so miles, but my legs were just cooked by mile 17 and I was relegated to walking the flats. I think the hike/run ratio during my training was a bit too skewed to the hiking side of things, but all of that vertical training paid off because I was still able to keep a good pace on the climbs even when I didn't feel like I could run. Finished in a little over 7 hours, so I can't be too upset with that considering the conditions.

I went into the race thinking that if it went reasonably well I'd sign up for the North Face 50 miler in November, but now I'm not so sure. I never bonked and when I finally got my legs back around the last half mile I was able to carry a 7:45/mile pace to the finish line, but I just don't know if 2 months is enough time to prep for 20 more miles.
    Congrats on your first ultra.
    What was the temperature?
    I struggled big time with my 18 miler in 74F with 78% humidity.

Your last half mile probably was faster cause you wanted to end that bad.

You can see my last two was the fastest.
    I just wanted to be over.

I’m 68132 who was dying at Central Park.
    Reminds me of me, except I'm a dude, at mile 23 in Portland a couple years back. Good for you on Chicago...hopefully it goes well...good luck.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Congrats on your first ultra.
    What was the temperature?
    I struggled big time with my 18 miler in 74F with 78% humidity.
    Started in the low 60s with close to 100% humidity and then got into the upper 80s. Just about everyone was struggling with the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    Started in the low 60s with close to 100% humidity and then got into the upper 80s. Just about everyone was struggling with the heat.
    Jesus.
    Yeah, that’s horrible.
    That’s like 2007 Chicago Marathon horrible.

Running, Anyone...?

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    Reminds me of me, except I'm a dude, at mile 23 in Portland a couple years back. Good for you on Chicago...hopefully it goes well...good luck.
    Other say there’s the wall at mile 20.
    Mine was waiting for me on 5th Ave. in front of Mt. Sinai Hospital at mile 23.
    I really had nothing left that I had to use every single bit of will power to get to the finish line.
    My goal was to never stop, never walk and enjoy every single mile of 26.2.
    I didn’t stop (except once on 1st Ave to greet) didn’t walk (other than water stations) but fail to enjoy every mile.
    Those 3 are still my goals and we’ll see if I can achieve in Chicago.

I can vouch for b-bear being an awesome running teammate! We had a blast at the GTNP 1/2 this past June

After that 1/2 I sorta let myself go for the summer and packed on five or ten pounds of beer chub... so the last month+ I'm in fitness mode, counting calories and exercising regularly, getting geared up for ski season (and race season), dropped 7 or 8 lbs so far feeling great and wanna keep going and get truly ripped this time, etc. Anyway, trying to run 3-4 days a week, provided I don't overdo it and hurt myself (I have a long history of the "run a little, start to enjoy running, run a lot, hurt something, don't run, wait a while, repeat" pattern). Long story short, I am finding myself doing a lot more uphill and trail running than I ever have in the past. I've also taken to at least 2 days a week having my run be on grass/dirt in a local park, as it seems to be easier on my body than putting all the miles in on pavement.

Right now I've got road shoes (Asics that have served me well) and trail shoes, which are Sportiva Bushidos, and which I bought before I did or intended to do any trail running - I basically replaced my worn-out Guide Tennies with them, anticipating using them as 4th class / approach shoes, so I sized em tight. They're nice when it's flat, but coming downhill just jams my toes up in there, and for longer runs (or even 50 feet on pavement) they are way unsupportive.

I'm sure there's no magical quiver-of-one, but I'd love a trail-biased shoe that I could use in a pinch for a 5 mile road run if I had to. I tried out the Sportiva Akasha and loved the fit, and I have a line on some cheap Dynafit Alpine Pros new. (I had an old pair of Dynafit Feline Ghosts that I loooooooved although I wore em out using them as just regular sneakers lol)

I also did a 9.5 mile 3k' trail run in my chacos the other day, and it wasn't terrible. I meant to just bring my road shoes but forgot em at home and figured screw it... they're pretty nice, but I think for ridgeline rocky stuff with a little exposure or scrambling I kinda want a full shoe.

I tried a pair of Altra Lone Peaks and the fit in the toe box was weird as fuck, also the zero-drop thing felt weird as fuck. Maybe they'd be great idk, not sure I wanna take the risk. Anyone have any advice? Unfortunately you can't really demo shoes.