Page 108 of 144 FirstFirst ... 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 ... LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 3600
    Getting outpaced by my buddy heading up Audubon
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190813_095005.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	291115

Looking North to Longs

Name:	IMG_20190813_105114.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	291116

Then my shitty phone died. Kind of a lump of a mountain but the views are sick. Was actually able to stay in front of my buddy on the way down, which happens about 2% of the time, as the only part of running I'm much good at is running down trails covered in loose rocks. Oh to be young and fast.

^^^Audubon is great! Nice pics.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post

Doebedoe and Snowshow, any interest in meeting up for a run? Danno? I'm coming off injury, but starting to feel ok. Doing the equivalent of two of the above a week at a very leisurely pace along with some shorter runs with my old dog.
    Just saw this. But I think I'm too slow for you, my usual run right now is 3 miles, 1000 vert, 45 minutes. 30 minutes up, 15 down.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

^^^just saw this too. I’m waaaaay too slow, sorry! I’m a total beginner at trail running.

Not necessarily running but anyone try these new shoes from Altra?

https://www.altrarunning.com/shop/ou...display#hero=3

I'm most interested in using as an all-purpose hiking and mtn bike/bikepacking shoe. I have wide feet with a slight taylors bunion that developed last year, and lately have been searching for shoes with a wider toe box (rather than wide EE size). Haven't tried altra shoes before... how do they run size-wise?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Just saw this. But I think I'm too slow for you, my usual run right now is 3 miles, 1000 vert, 45 minutes. 30 minutes up, 15 down.
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    ^^^just saw this too. I’m waaaaay too slow, sorry! I’m a total beginner at trail running.
    Whatever. I'm never fast (especially by Boulder standards) and I'm just getting back at it after 6 months off. I'm both slow AND forcing myself to go even slower than I want for a while to avoid another injury. Slow runs with walking mixed in is my jam right now. Just want to keep upping the miles/frequency/vert for a couple months without adding any intensity. Plus my wife is due with boy number 2 in a few weeks. Having some regularly scheduled runs is just what I need to keep my body from falling apart once the sleep becomes shitty.

Well, I gave you precise numbers about my speed, if that isn't too slow I'd be happy to go on a run with ya
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Saturday run Danno/ISBD/SnowShow? I won't be going fast -- I've run two trails in my life.

Prefer early. Supposed to do 8 in my training plan but flexible on that.

^^^^^^ I think I can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Saturday run Danno/ISBD/SnowShow? I won't be going fast -- I've run two trails in my life.

Prefer early. Supposed to do 8 in my training plan but flexible on that.
    I'm in for tomorrow. Any time in the morning works.

You guys heard of this Jim Walmsy guy? I just got sucked into Western State YouTube rabbit hole and came out inspired by him and everyone who can actually run 100 miles.

Then looking at their numbers coming into big events 120 -140 miles a week?!

I decide to up my game from 2.5 years of 20 mile average and get some big weeks coming into this trail marathon now 4 weeks out.

Last week I pushed for 60 mile week but only managed 55. My old record was 53 which was last year during the week of same marathon.

Any you guys done consistent 60 plus mile weeks? It seems to be a lot of effort... I’m gonna now do 45 this week then bump to 65 next week then back down to 45 then taper leading into race week .

I swear their is heavy mental component in regards to injury prevention and actual capability. Despite the big bump in miles last week my legs feel deceptively springy like they are saying “ finally bring it!!”

We’ ll see how it goes , I didn’t have nearly the mileage last year as I’m gettin now, thanks Jim!

People running over 50mpw with full time jobs and/or kids amaze me.

At 30mpw and I already want extra food, extra sleep and lots of foam rolling.

If you're training for long-distance races, then a good percentage of your weekly mileage comes from a single long run (When I raced, a long run could be from 20 to 45 miles depending on how I felt and what the goals were).

Looking back,, I would have focused more on shorter long runs (i.e., 20-25 miles) but at greater intensity. I feel that shorter-but-faster runs benefited me far more than the longer (30+ mile) efforts, even for 100 miler training.

BTW, I appeared in at least five (5) of those We$tern $tates videos over the years. Never seen any of them myself, but folks keep telling me, that they saw me in last year's, etc.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    We’ ll see how it goes , I didn’t have nearly the mileage last year as I’m gettin now, thanks Jim!
    I'm probably not qualified to give you running advice, and I will probably never run a 100 miler, but listen to your body. I'm a less than hack compared to Viva, but have had some similar experience. Runs much over 20 miles always seem to have negative effect on my fitness, even when building up mileage very conservatively. I'd bet $$$$$$ your tolerance for long runs is higher than mine, but keep a look out for diminishing returns.

I've also found that when I'm trying to put together some high mileage weeks, I do better with 4 longer runs a week that 5-6 shorter ones. And a couple hardish sessions in the weight room each week helps keep me feeling healthy and balanced, even if it makes my legs feel a bit heavier and reduces the total mileage I'm capable of. Seems every time I get hurt it's when I neglect the lifting. Obviously other folks respond to different approaches.

The last thing is that if you're used to running in the hills or mountains, a long flat run can feel fine while you're out there, but fuck you up afterwards. Be careful with changes even if they seem like they should result in less intensity.

Again, given your track record you're certain to be capable of handling more volume than me. Just throwing out a few things that have been important for me to attend to. The importance of these things seems to get magnified when I'm running over 50 miles a week. Apologies If I'm stating what is obvious.

I'm plugging away at training for my first marathon. The time commitment is definitely a little daunting. I'll run 30 miles this week which is big for me but I can't fathom the amount of time and miles that the pros and semi-pros do every week. I guess it helps when your easy runs are at a 7:30/mile pace. At my easy run pace of 10-11 min/mile, running 40 miles takes 7 hours.

I recently finished reading 80/20 running by Matt Fitzgerald. His methodologies seem really well researched and backed by good science. At this point, I'm just focused on following a simple plan but if I continue with running (which I expect I will), I'll most likely get a little more detailed in my training and follow something like the ideas that are laid out in that book. I'll also likely need to ramp up my mileage quite a bit if I'm going to do some of the things that I have in mind for next summer.

Just dropping in because I'd never heard of the Barkley Marathons until this weekend. Holy shit.

^^^^ Check out this guy's take on increasing running economy: https://andrewskurka.com/david-roche...thon-training/

Good stuff, especially for those of us with little racing background before adulthood.

^^ That was good article , kind of confirmed what Viva was saying about shorter runs with more intensity.

I think that is what wore me out last week, mixing some speed work in with volume.

I basically have a three core runs trying to get into a week A, B, C

A) 4 x 5k @ 20 min
    B) 12 mile with fast last 3 miles
    C) 20 mile @ 90% and negative split on the return.

easier said than done, last week...

Sun: A) run managed 3 x 5k (20:15, 19:45, 20:30) with 3 min rest in between. 11 Mile total.

Mon: easy 5 mile

Tues: 5 mile with 1.5 mile at 6:30

Wed: B) 10 mile with 6-9 @ 6:15

Thurs: Rest

Fri: 9 mile technical trail in 1:25

Sat: 15 mile technical trail and long climb. Huge neg. split (1:30/ :55)... 2:25 total

Sun: 30 min easy Zwift

Mon: 30 min easy Zwift

Tues: (today). A) dreading the A run all week... 3 x 5k (19:40, 19:30, 19:40). 11 total. Aiming for negative split on each interval , 6:30 on way out 6:10 on way back. I have nice little out and back route with spray paint marking 2.5k turnaround.

I definitely feel like my flat running economy has improved in last 6 weeks since I dropped all mountain running from agenda. If anything I have learned that I am faster percentile wise in flat road races than mountain races, as I am 6' 1" and 205. Lot of weight to drag up hill with certain limitation on potential improved economy whereas on the flats I can get moving like a freight train and just keep trucking, lol.

Plan to focus on flat roads races next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Just dropping in because I'd never heard of the Barkley Marathons until this weekend. Holy shit.
    Yeah...totally insane. You probably saw the piece on Netflix:

There is another one about Gary Robbins - a badass ultrarunner, seemingly great guy, and race director for the Squamish 50 - and it's pretty emotional:

That's (obviously) just the trailer: the whole video on Gary Robbins is free on Youtube. Check it out - it's pretty high quality.

^^^^ Check out this guy's take on increasing running economy: https://andrewskurka.com/david-roche...thon-training/

Good stuff, especially for those of us with little racing background before adulthood.
    Totally good stuff, ISBD. David Roche also publishes an article every week (I think) for Trail Runner, here are two that are connected to the subject of speed and strides, which David believe are key!

Strides: https://trailrunnermag.com/training/...es-how-to.html
    Slightly more structured stride guidance: https://trailrunnermag.com/training/...sometimes.html

Disclaimer: David's been my coach for 18 months or so. Though I'm dealing with an injury now - might be a stress fracture... - I've definitely run faster and more consistently than I have in previous years. It's been fun.
    Last edited by fool; 09-08-2019 at 04:20 PM.

Thanks for link to "Where Dreams Go To Die".

Watching it now while icing a black and blue ankle hoping I won't miss race I've been training for.

Yeah I actually watched the YouTube vid first, and subsequently binged all Barkley Marathons content I could find. Totally fascinating, mostly because "Laz" is such a great character.

Roche used to write some hilarious race reports on slowtwitch back in the day. I "retired" from tris in 2010 and don't get back to that site much lately, so no idea if he is still at it.

Name:	image00001 (4).jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	507.3 KB 
ID:	293797

soft yet tacky on the down..

Got a new headlamp: Biolight. Really, the best headlight I’ve ever used bc it’s so balanced and comfy. There’s no floppiness from a heavy light on the front.

But: what hydration pack/vest you all using? Should accommodate a 50k or so. Not the cheapest guy...but also not looking to spend a $170 on a S/Lab vest.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.