Page 126 of 144 FirstFirst ... 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 ... LastLast
Results 3,126 to 3,150 of 3600
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pin View Post
    Only downside was walking the extra couple miles back up the road to get my car.
    Sweet. That last couple miles up the road is why I always park on the shoulder right after turning off the freeway. I use the first couple miles on the road as a mellow warmup. Hike much of the Denny Creek trail, since it's pretty steep and rugged, and then run pretty much the rest of it (except for that last steep climb after Pratt Lake. It would be miserable to finish the whole loop only to have to run up asphalt at the end

I'm running the Bigfoot 40 in a couple weeks. That will be my biggest run to date and I'm feeling woefully under trained. So, we'll see how it goes. I'm fairly confident that I can finish it but I'm also fairly confident that it's going to be very miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    Sweet. That last couple miles up the road is why I always park on the shoulder right after turning off the freeway. I use the first couple miles on the road as a mellow warmup. Hike much of the Denny Creek trail, since it's pretty steep and rugged, and then run pretty much the rest of it (except for that last steep climb after Pratt Lake. It would be miserable to finish the whole loop only to have to run up asphalt at the end

I'm running the Bigfoot 40 in a couple weeks. That will be my biggest run to date and I'm feeling woefully under trained. So, we'll see how it goes. I'm fairly confident that I can finish it but I'm also fairly confident that it's going to be very miserable.
    Starting at Granite would've been smarter in retrospect!

Good luck with the Bigfoot. I'm signed up for the Moab Trail Marathon in November, so still a couple months to keep getting the fitness up.

My first run over 26 miles... my first 50 mile race... my first complete post-race debilitation from extreme crotch chaffing
    Type 2 fun at its finest!

Lesson learned: don't attempt 22 mile mountain race a week after running 50 mile race.
    This was horrible...

Give it some time (i.e., a couple of years)- not only will you be running 20+ a week after a 50, but you'll be running 20+ with week prior (easy terrain).

Not advocating this as a race strategy, of course, but when this is your life style....
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Yeah it is crazy the open ended nature of high volume running. You see the people doing 100 miles a week like no big deal where if I get 60 its biggest week ever.

I have been 'training' for 5 years consistent with a scatter shot of biking and swimming in the mix. This has definitely been a break though summer where I have focused only on running and feel like pushed through a plateau in terms of volume . Going from 25 mile weeks to 45 and feeling healthy doing it.

This 1-2 race combo was just bit more then I could chew. Humbling and educational to bump up against your limit and take it as that.

I had 30 miler planned for next Saturday with more vert and I emphatically decided to not do it. Got my eye on our local Girdwood Trail marathon for October 1 as next objective... I'm down but not out!

The thing I've noticed over the years of being around the running community is that everyone's body seems to have a hard mileage limit. I know many people who do fine at 40 miles a week but fall apart at 50 (I'm one of them). It takes a long time to figure out your own limits, and it usually takes being injured a few times to accept it.

I think that's one of the things that separates running from cycling--pretty much anyone can at least theoretically do the volumes necessary for elite cycling performance, but only a select few can handle 100+ mile weeks of running for very long. Then it comes down to talent etc.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    The thing I've noticed over the years of being around the running community is that everyone's body seems to have a hard mileage limit. I know many people who do fine at 40 miles a week but fall apart at 50 (I'm one of them). It takes a long time to figure out your own limits, and it usually takes being injured a few times to accept it.

I think that's one of the things that separates running from cycling--pretty much anyone can at least theoretically do the volumes necessary for elite cycling performance, but only a select few can handle 100+ mile weeks of running for very long. Then it comes down to talent etc.
    I'll add to this to say that aerobic base seems to have a lot to do with things too. I can't say that I've found my limit for volume as family, work, and other interests limit the time that I can reasonably commit to running, but I have definitely found that the volume that I can handle easily now would have definitely led to injury 3 or 4 years ago. I think one key is to train smart, using lots of low intensity training coupled with limited high intensity training. This allows a person to put in a lot more miles without injury. I think where a lot of people mess up is that they try to shortcut things by putting the big miles in too fast. Of course, I'm speaking more theoretically than from personal experience so take it with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    My first run over 26 miles... my first 50 mile race... my first complete post-race debilitation from extreme crotch chaffing
    Type 2 fun at its finest!
    Nice work. That's awesome!

Any of you going to Leadville in a couple of weeks? I'll be working the night shift at one of the medical stations.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Any of you going to Leadville in a couple of weeks? I'll be working the night shift at one of the medical stations.
    I was supposed to pace a buddy the last stretch but he had to drop due to injuries/Covid etc. Bummer. Have fun up there!

So as far as the blood in the urine thing... you guys ever dealt with it?

Google tells me that it can be symptom of a litany of serious issues but I am fairly convinced it was exercised induced. Specifically in that 50 mile run, 26 of it was downhill so there was potential mechanism of injury. And then in the Crow Pass race mile 3-12 was all downhill.

They say if your bladder completely empty it can slap together and become damaged.

Point being, against maybe better judgment, I feeling pretty good today and considering this 30 mile Kesugi race on Saturday...
    talk me out of it.

Ug, I would make sure you rule out rhabdomyolysis if you think blood in urine is exercise induced and you're considering more heavy exercise.

Rabdo is pretty serious and takes down a few wildland firefighters every year. Usually something close to a career ender for many of them.

Some statin drugs can cause rhabdo also. It's a pretty rare side effect, but in case you're taking any statins...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Ran my first ultra distance (50k) since 2016 last weekend. Nice and flat railroad trail and a much faster time than I expected. Now if I could only figure out how to reduce the blisters from the heat and humidity in the coastal SE (tape and lube aren't cutting it).

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    So as far as the blood in the urine thing... you guys ever dealt with it?

Google tells me that it can be symptom of a litany of serious issues but I am fairly convinced it was exercised induced. Specifically in that 50 mile run, 26 of it was downhill so there was potential mechanism of injury. And then in the Crow Pass race mile 3-12 was all downhill.

They say if your bladder completely empty it can slap together and become damaged.

Point being, against maybe better judgment, I feeling pretty good today and considering this 30 mile Kesugi race on Saturday...
    talk me out of it.
    This is happening right now? A few days ago? Are we talking actual blood (bright red) or brown tea- or coke-colored urine? The latter is almost certainly rhabdo and you are taking a huge risk running at all, let alone a 30-miler. But, if you're cool with potential kidney failure, permanent muscle damage, compartment syndrome, and death, then by all means, rock on.

During the race pee went from brownish color to actual red blood . Kind of freaked me out . Drank plenty of water after ward and had totally normal looking pee an hour later and normal ever since , 4 days ago now

Yeah not doing 30 miler , bad idea

I managed to finish the Bigfoot 40 on Saturday. I think I won the lottery on the weather. Temps in the 70's with a light breeze at times. Overall I'm feeling pretty good. No sign of any injury other than a blister that's healing nicely. I think I'll run the Baker Lake 50k in October. I was holding off on registering until after this race.

The mountain looked nice.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220813_190649637.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	423953

Some spots were a little rugged.

Name:	PXL_20220813_183352042.MP.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	423954

Viewing Spirit Lake from the south was cool.

Name:	PXL_20220813_204357904.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	423951

Mt. Adams was looking good all afternoon.

Name:	PXL_20220814_001805675.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	423952
    Last edited by Buke; 08-16-2022 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Fix Pictures

Nice effort, Buke! Beautiful looking course, too.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Huge, Buke! Looks awesome and congrats!

This summer has been a good one. Life got in the way of any "progression." Spending weeks in midwest to say goodbye to my last grandparent. Going under contract on a new house and prepping our current one for sale. Lots of big projects coming to an end to be ready for the 22/23 winter season. It all meant I haven't "trained" for anything or signed up for any races.

I've just been banging away runs when I have a moment. 4mi in the AM around the neighborhood. 6-7 milers at nearby trails. The occasional 10-15 miler deeper in the mountains. Sometimes just short 2-3 miles to clear the mind and get the pup out.

A couple of shots from the past month.

Pup this AM

Name:	WevEEZh.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	510.9 KB 
ID:	424795

A 12miler last week with a buddy who went from never-running to absolutely killing it this season

Name:	B686Ze6.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	559.8 KB 
ID:	424796

Earlier on that run

Name:	EcXnhz6.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	413.3 KB 
ID:	424797

Quick run post-work meeting in Leadville before the storms rolled in

Name:	3TbX2c0.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	630.8 KB 
ID:	424798

The smoothest part of the trail up to a little alpine lake

Name:	c9FsHgl.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	906.4 KB 
ID:	424799

I am jealous of your guys sunny run pics. We have been in constant wet pattern since July 4 weekend or so. I suppose you tell me it is 125 deg and smoky but damn I'm sick of this weather!

I took whole week off after the Crow Pass fiasco and slowly ramped up through mini 5 week block leading to tomorrow's race, the Alyeska North Face Climbathon.

We basically climb laps from 9am until 7pm up a 2000' trail and descend on the tram. All of our gear and food is stashed at the top of tram so at each lap you have to get your shit and get on the next down tram...

The record is 13 laps, I'm hoping for 10 which would be 1 lap/hr average. Nutrition will be key I think along with a new dry shirt each lap to not get chilled on tram ride down.

I have never done this race mostly because I know how horrible it will be. This summer Im feeling like a have a better long game than before so we will see how she goes!

Nice dbd! Good stuff. I’ve been ‘training’ and always end up looking forward to just running to run, if you know what I mean.

Carp you jinxed me with your sunny weather comment! Week of scorching temps broke with low temps, rain, foggy and muddy conditions for a trail half this morning. Great running weather actually.

Hot:

Name:	IMG_6770.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	426072

Cool:

Name:	IMG_6922.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	148.4 KB 
ID:	426073