Page 70 of 144 FirstFirst ... 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 3600
    Thanks. Yeah, the technology has come a long way, but even the best state of the art TKA hardware can take only so much pounding, and I plan to prioritize off-trail mountain travel (routes mellower than the past 25 years) over running. No biggie. I knew that someday my running days would end. Lots of my ultra friends have moved to bikes. I worked a control at the Cascade 1200 rando event last year (my wife rode it) and saw two former elite ultrarunners, Karl Anderson (Ann Trason's ex) and Del Scharffenberg, both of whom were forced to stop running due to knee problems.

Bummer on he knee, but at least the bionic knees are pretty good these days. Are you still going to be able to ski/tour/climb? Friend of mine just had his knee replace and plans to be back on the slopes next season. There was a day when skiing was out after replacement, but his doc says he can ski if he does all the rehab.

good luck

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Are you still going to be able to ski/tour/climb?
    That's the plan, albeit mellower routes than in the past. Most ingress/egress routes in and out of North Cascade and Central Cascade high routes are rugged, long, steep and cliffy, very tough on the body. Glad I did lots of of those routes with a younger body. Plenty of mellower terrain to explore and plenty of high lakes to fish.

This just happened here yesterday
    http://www.akxtri.com/

It was inspiring to see the people suffer. Made my numbers look small...

Week 5: 12,000 over 28 miles
    Week 6: 14,000 over 30 miles

Four weeks out to first race

Real purty morning for a run along the river

Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I've really been digging running Little Mtn here in Mt Vernon.. 2-3 times/week.. usually trying to keep it 60-75 min runs.. somewhere between 3.5 and 4.5 mi.. ~1300' elev gain.. not so impressive but I am closing in on my late 50s (htf is that possible?).. using it as my training for a Picketts traverse end of Aug... 20 lb pack and run in my mountaineering boots...
    in Sept there is a 10k on Little Mtn for those locals interested... LM 10k.. not sure I'll be recovered enough to run it but I am signed up and I'm sure I'll give it a go
    Last edited by BaNosser; 07-24-2017 at 06:59 PM.
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

Signed up for a mountain 50k in September. I'm excited. Ran a 5 mile race on Cape Cod once. I figure it'll be pretty much the same.

But seriously, I have no intention of racing. Just want to finish and enjoy. This past year for me has been about increasing my capacity to move comfortably in the mountains. The biggest challenge is managing my arthritic lower back, which I received courtesy of over 20 years of wrestling. Rarely running back to back days seems to be the trick with some lazy swimming and mellow climbing/lifting mixed in. The climbing helps me stay limber better than any stretching/yoga I've tried and the swimming actually seems to help with recovery from running as long as I keep the pace and length comfortable. Mixing up flat/hilly/steep runs helps too. And barely running on roads.

I'm definitely jealous of the pros around here who go dancing past me when I'm chugging uphill. But being able to move steadily and comfortably for 3-4 hours on 90 degree day is pretty sweet. And not something I've ever been able to do before.

Any advice about not fucking up the race is welcome, especially the humorous kind, as I'm familiar (if inexperienced) with all the conventional wisdom.

What race did you sign up for?

I've been debating signing up for a 50k this fall, but I'm not sure if I'm putting in enough miles consistently for my body to hold up over that distance. Longest "run" so far this year was 17 miles up in the Whites and the wheels started to come off around the last 3 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by BaNosser View Post
    I've really been digging running Little Mtn here in Mt Vernon.. 2-3 times/week.. usually trying to keep it 60-75 min runs.. somewhere between 3.5 and 4.5 mi.. ~1300' elev gain.. not so impressive but I am closing in on my late 50s (htf is that possible?).. using it as my training for a Picketts traverse end of Aug... 20 lb pack and run in my mountaineering boots...
    in Sept there is a 10k on Little Mtn for those locals interested... LM 10k.. not sure I'll be recovered enough to run it but I am signed up and I'm sure I'll give it a go
    I'd be wary about running in your mountaineering boots. They weren't built for that and you are locking your ankles and feet into a super stiff structure.

I thought about commenting on that as well but he's got about 15 years on me and hasn't injured himself yet. Might change up the training to hiking (not running!) a 60lb pack up the side of the mountain, off trail, thought the brush and trees. Unless you're planing to run through the Pickets with a 20lb pack...

Either way, make sure to post a TR.

Quote Originally Posted by BaNosser View Post
    That looks like a fun race. I'm signed up for my first 25k in August after a really long break (about 7 years) from running. I'm super slow, but have gotten back to the point where I no longer dread heading out each morning. It's about 5500ft where I live, but fairly flat desert, so I try to head up to the mountains on the weekends for some hiking to get a little more elevation gain. I'm debating signing up for the Gnarly Bear 25K over in Kelly Canyon in October. Not for racing, just for finishing. It has more elevation gain than I am used to hiking/jogging.

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    What race did you sign up for?

I've been debating signing up for a 50k this fall, but I'm not sure if I'm putting in enough miles consistently for my body to hold up over that distance. Longest "run" so far this year was 17 miles up in the Whites and the wheels started to come off around the last 3 miles.
    Devil Mountain Ultra in Pagosa: http://joingecko.org/events/devil-mountain-ultra-5050/

Chose it for the lack of a real cut off time (for the 50k, there is a concurrent 50 mile race), and the fact that it doesn't go above 10,000.' Also the 5000' vert is fairly reasonable.

I've just developed some pain on the outside of my knee to crops up around 5 or 6 miles. Backing off this week.
    Last edited by I've seen black diamonds!; 07-26-2017 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Devil Mountain Ultra in Pagosa: http://joingecko.org/events/devil-mountain-ultra-5050/

Chose it for the lack of a real cut off time (for the 50k, there is a concurrent 50 mile race), and the fact that it doesn't go above 10,000.' Also the 5000' vert is fairly reasonable.

I've just developed some pain on the outside of my knee to crops up around 5 or 6 miles. Backing off this week.
    Well, shit, that's my new home town. I may have to visit that weekend.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Well, shit, that's my new home town. I may have to visit that weekend.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Let me know if you're around.

For week 7 I decided to taper off quantity and focus on speed. Made a couple new PRs . Back in 03 (i was 23) did 3000' Max's in 60 min. Last week I did in 49 min.
    rest day
    Then did race pace to top of 6 ,2500' in 36.
    Next day did race pace North Face trail in 32 min ,2000

2 rest days then did 3 x race pace NF trail. 38 min, 39 min then half way through lap 3 (tram downloads) completely bonked. It was upper 70s no food , went to hard. Got chills and took all effort to drag ass up in 50 min. Felt bad at time , easing into this week gingerly...

Yah it's not something I've done before.. but I wanted to get these boots married to my feet.. I've had a propensity for heal blisters in all the boots I've tried.. Kayland, Scarpa, La Sportiva.. tried various lacing techniques.. etc.. I've got funky heals and I just decided I was gonna run in them instead of my trail runners.. see if it makes a difference.. I've had no problem doing it so far..

You're right Bronco.. it was time to change it up.. I used that approach to build my endurance and stamina.. but its time to switch to a heavy pack and put in some vert.. which I started yesterday.. I know I'm gonna totally get my ass kicked this trip.. I lost the last 2 summers to nasty fkn shoulder injury.. I'm not missing this one..

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I'd be wary about running in your mountaineering boots. They weren't built for that and you are locking your ankles and feet into a super stiff structure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    I thought about commenting on that as well but he's got about 15 years on me and hasn't injured himself yet. Might change up the training to hiking (not running!) a 60lb pack up the side of the mountain, off trail, thought the brush and trees. Unless you're planing to run through the Pickets with a 20lb pack...

Either way, make sure to post a TR.
    Last edited by BaNosser; 08-02-2017 at 08:14 AM.
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

Finally runnig again after ACL tear/surgery. wimpy-ass 2.5 mile neighborhood circut but hope to ramp it up reasonably fast. Dog gained a shit ton of weight in the interium. Think I lost about 75% cartlige in right knee but not hurting much. so far.
    "Can't you see..."

Only had time for a few miles this morning (cuz I'm slow as fuck right now) but they were really nice miles...

Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

That picture makes me wish I were a morning person.

Signed up for a mountain 50k in September.
    Just want to finish and enjoy.
    Any advice about not fucking up the race is welcome. . . .
    "Finish and enjoy" is the correct attitude. Don't run the early downhills to fast, lest you might cook your quads. My best ultras happened when I planned to have legs with 10 miles from the finish, then run it in. Good luck!

My favorite backyard

add me in
    wohooooo

No shit! I did the 50M a few years ago. Cool race and beautiful - I had a really good time.

What are your daily trails, ISBD? Or where do you mainly train? I was a Front Ranger when I ran it - the trails in Pagosa were more technical than the super-runnable Front Range stuff. Just FYI. Let me know if I can help with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Jeepers, is there anything Kilian can't do? Dude must've took a digger like 50m in and dislocated his shoulder. Reset it and taped it to his chest then went on to finish the race winning it for the 4th consecutive time.

That shit was crazy. He's a freak: he dislocated his shoulder around mile 20 and still beat some of the best runners in the world.

Anyone else nerding out about UTMB? It's going to be one of the most competitive ultras ever and I'm stoked to watch (via twitter) it unfold. Entrant list: http://www.irunfar.com/2017/01/2017-...announced.html + Zach Miller.