Page 33 of 144 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    I'm looking for a pacer for the VT 100 if anyone is into it.

I tend to talk (babble) a lot after 6 or so hours.
    when is it and how long do you need a pacer for and what pace do you want?

Its July 18-19. Guess I should figure out where I think I would be at the 70 mile mark maybe 17 - 19 hours in. Hmmm let me think about that.

Runners in the VT 100 are allowed to have pacers for the last 30 miles (starting at Aid Station 24) except that any runner over 60 years of age may have a pacer at any point in the race. Pacers are not allowed to carry the runners equipment for them (see race rules) but may lend guidance, advice and moral support. There is no entry cost for pacers but meals and T-shirts must be purchased if desired.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

oh what pace do I want? 13 - 14 minutes per mile. I guess that would put me at the 70 miles mark in around 16 or so hours. Somewhere around 8pm on July 18th.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Looks like pacers must be at a meeting on Friday that will put a lot of people out.
    Friday, July 17th, 2009 - Camping at Silver Hill Meadow opens. Portable toilets will be available.

PRE-RACE CHECK IN from 9:30 to 3:45 - all runners must submit to a physical exam which will involve checking vital signs and weight in running gear. This is not a complete physical. Runners must show evidence of adequate training and be knowledgeable about stress factors of prolonged exercise in adverse conditions.

RUNNERS AND CREW BRIEFING MEETING at 4 PM - Attendance at this meeting is required for all runners, handlers and pacers. We will review trail conditions, aid and medical station locations and procedures and any special situations. This is the time to get your questions answered.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

dude.. vt100.. good on you man, that's friggin awesome.

I'd totally pace you - but that's the same day as damn wakely dam, which I somehow got into. http://www.wakelydam.com/ (entries into that are hard to get.)

-steve

I just signed up for the Denver Marathon (oct 18), no turning back now.

Need a pro-tip here on pace. I'd like to shoot for 3:30. I just did my first half in 1:38 with ~2 months of semi-preparation. Should 110+ miles/week on a bike combined with one long and one fast run per week get me there?
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Bean, it sounds like you could be pretty solid.

The peanut gallery would probably tell you that it would be better to run more than two times per week.

peanut gallery is too tired to comment.

Dan - how did the Grand Canyon go?
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

Could you warm-climate types school me on hydration please? Have spent the past 9 months running in the rain, snow, wind and cold but with the start of summer yesterday I got fucked up by the sun.

Was only about 70F or something, but did a 2 hour run with 1litre of water and I'm in a whole world of hurt today - feel really ill, stomach cramping, sore muscles and insatiably thirsty. The 2 hours was no great stretch so I'm thinking hydration was my issue.

Essentially, how much water, how often and how long a run before electrolyte replacement needs to be seriously considered?

Cheers!

edg
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

edg - there are lots of people (like, most people) who are more expert than me but sounds like you might need to do a sweat rate test on yourself. google it - basically involves weighing yourself accurately before and after exercise and calculating how much fluid you have lost from that
    Last edited by Arno; 06-01-2009 at 04:27 AM. Reason: inability to write english
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

My understanding is that if you don't replace your electrolytes but keep drinking water all you do is dilute the problem further

also, you risk hyponatremia with consumer "electrolyte-replacement" drinks because their concentration of sodium is lower than required, so you'll dilute yoursemf, just like with water, although maybe not so fast. That is why ultrarunners use niche products like heed or nuun instead, and also take electrolytes in pill form.

Once again big time fail.
    PACK MONADNOCK 10-MILER

Its the pink line at the bottom. The last 2/10 of a mile are approximately 20% grade.

place = 57
    BIB = 160
    Time = 1:21:00
    Pace = 8:06
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

I would love to see a chart like that for the palm springs tram road..

-steve

Bump for Grand Canyon pics. Everything is from the way up to the South Rim from the river, I didn't even try to get pics going down either side and I was too worked going back up the North Rim to do anything but put one foot in front of the other.

Started and finished from the door of our cabin at the GC Lodge, 46.6 miles and 10k of climbing. Ended up finishing in just under 15 hours, sneaking in just before the sun set for the day.

We made it back to Phantom Ranch (~30 miles) in 9 hours I felt great through about mile 35. Then the wheels began to fall off rapidly. By the time we hit the cottonwood campground I was wrecked and would have been happy to quit right there. Unfortunately, there was still 8 miles and over 4k of vertical left to go Not finishing is simply not an option so I somehow willed myself to the top one step, one switchback and one rock layer at a time. The last 2-3 miles were especially rough, I was starving but my stomach would not accept even the most meager amounts of food. Pretzels were like chalk and gels tasted like castor oil. I could maybe muster 1.5-2mph, any faster and my stomach twisted up tighter than Ahhnold's mighty fist.

Reaching the North Rim meant the end of the climbing, but we still had 1.2 miles back to our cabin. Temps were dropping quickly as the sun set, since we were no longer climbing (or running, chaffing and fatigue meant we hadn't run a step in miles) we weren't producing much heat and by the time we got to the cabin we were shivering pretty good. Even after a long hot shower we climbed into bed fully clothed and shivered for another 15 minutes.

Finally warmed up we celebrated with a great meal at the lodge. Our stomachs could only handle about half our dinners though, the rest ended up being eaten at about 3am. I didn't really get my appetite back until noon the next day.

It was an incredible experience, but far and away the hardest thing I have ever done. I was completely destroyed by the end, easily twice as wrecked as I have ever been. It took two full days before I could walk normally again and going down stairs is still a bit of a chore. Already though the memory of the pain is fading I am beyond psyched at what I was able to accomplish. My previous one-day mileage record was the Mid-mountain marathon, and I trained for that for an entire summer. I can't believe I did something this big this early in the season.

About to cross the bridge for the first time

Looking downriver from the bridge

Heading toward the South Rim

Jamon and Brad going up

Almost to the South Rim. See that side canyon across the way? We started all the way at the head of it.

Awesome write up, Dan. Definitely some inspiring stuff in there. Sounds like a hell of a race. Thanks for sharing

congrats! R2R2R is on my life list of things to do..
    love the pics.. i'm going to steal one of the bridge, if you don't mind..

-steve

Nothing impressive but ran an underwear 5k today. 20:40 something, not too pleased with the time but the heat was brutal. 9am is definitely way too late to start a race in Denver in the summer. 4/25 in age group, and beat all the women though.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

you people are nuts

I ran the rock n roll seattle half marathon this morning. 1:58 on zero training. The last 5k was brutal, I was definitely dehydrated as my quads were cramped up pretty badly. It definitely reaffirmed the knowledge that i don't really like running, for more than an hour at a time anyway.
    Dude chill its the padded room. -AKPM

Dan, awesome job in the Grand Canyon.

House, keep some ibuprofen and ice packs close at hand.

The training for the December marathon is going okay. I overshot my mileage goal this week. 45-47?

I'm going to run the #2 half marathon course July 26 during the SF marathon weekend and have a 15K (9.3 miles) on July 4th. I'll be curious how the times work out. The speed training that I'm doing is working pretty well. I'd be surprised if I didn't go lower than 1:34 on the half (ran a 1:38 at the beginning of the running season) and lower than 1:06 on the 15K.
    Last edited by tarkman1; 06-27-2009 at 03:06 PM.

oh what pace do I want? 13 - 14 minutes per mile. I guess that would put me at the 70 miles mark in around 16 or so hours. Somewhere around 8pm on July 18th.
    One Pacer from 70mi to the end or broken up?
    30 would be tough on me for some races I have planned after. But if you need someone I'd make the trek for 10 or so.

Wow, that is kick ass impressive Dan!

Love the ultra stoke Dantheman!
    Toying with the idea of serious sufferfest in the near future.
    How much food and fluids are you downing on a 50 miler? Consider me ultra illiterate, my long runs have only been in the mid 20 mile range. Normally I can skate by with very little (like 12 ounces of water and a gu), but I need to get real for 30+ mile runs.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    One Pacer from 70mi to the end or broken up?
    30 would be tough on me for some races I have planned after. But if you need someone I'd make the trek for 10 or so.
    First great job run Dan, looks like a ton of fun.

Now I guess I would like a pacer for 20 miles. I would like to run the last 10 on my own I think. If you live near Brownsville (sp?) Id take someone at this point for even 10 or 15 if you would like the go on a night run through the woods.

On another note the USA Mountain running champs are today in 3 hours and I have an overuse injury my Dr is telling me to just hike it if I have to. Also I'm running the Pemi Loop on the 4th as my last death march before the 100 if anyone wants to join me, its about 32 miles w/ huge elevation gain and loss should take around 12.5 hours.
    Last edited by Tuckerman; 06-28-2009 at 04:02 AM.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Now I guess I would like a pacer for 20 miles. I would like to run the last 10 on my own I think. If you live near Brownsville (sp?) Id take someone at this point for even 10 or 15 if you would like the go on a night run through the woods.
    I'll be coming down from Lake Placid. I have a friend who would probably put in the extra 10, but I'm not sure if it can work like that.

PM me with any logistical information you have.

I like to run through the woods at night and this could be a fun weekend.