Page 93 of 144 FirstFirst ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 3600
    heat stroke-ish

Yeah what GS said. Got heatstroke in college from a 3 hr intense crew practice. Felt off, could not cool down, was laying in bed feeling miserable and got up to call my folks to tell them I wasn’t feeling well. As soon as I stood up my vision tunneled until it was a pinhole, made it to the shower on autopilot, turned it on cold, and passed out fully clothed for duration unknown. Didn’t make the workout the following day.

Running, Anyone...?

^^^Agree....heat stroke/dehydration. You can think you drank enough water, but on long runs in heat...it’s never enough.

Just keep hydrating...swim in a pool/take cool showers to get your core temp down.

Good luck. Been there/done that....jumping in a swimming pool/lake after a long summer run is my cure. (Not this summer though, broke my foot last week off the side of crumbled PA road....I’m out 8-12 weeks)

Thanks all. Laying under a few bags of ice now.

If you have enough ice.....take a cold “bath”. That will really bring your core temp down. Good for muscle recovery too. It’s damn cold though.

I almost died of heat stroke back in 2001 ish. Well, it felt like death was near. Planned on 12-15 hour ridge hike on hot sunny day. Took Ripped Fuel to 'stay peppy' through out.

About 6 hours in legs felt sluggish, stomach didn't want water , disconnected thinking.

I aborted off high ridge and literally cart wheel down through alder thickets for 4000' to valley bottom.

My one friend kept going, other followed me. I was trying to dodge sun beams filtering through the high high tree canopy. Got to flat terrain with head high devils clubs and down logs. Was gonna try to traverse long angle through forest to avoid sun on local bike path.

Staggering , tunnel vision. Heard wind in the trees and looked up confused. Saw no wind then realized it was tiny creek 6" deep at my feet.

I laid in shallow pool and was kind of sobbing while covered in black flies when friend caught up and luckily found me

He was like 'wtf you doing bro?!'
    My level of consciousness had returned to normal but my body was fried.

Staggered home, chugged liter of water every hour then pissed until midnight. So sore could not walk for a few days, then seriously fucked up for week after.

Couldn't drink coffee for a year after that. System would fry. In retrospect I should have gone to doctor, probably had mild heart attack or some shit when I think back to the symptoms, lol

What do they say, if yer gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

My ability to run in extreme heat i

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    My ability to run in extreme heat has diminished considerably as I age. Can still do the 100 degree days, but only with a solid ramp up and provided that I dob't try for a mach looney pace.

Daniel Ortega eats here.

Anyone try these Nike vaporfly 4%'s?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...oe-strava.html

I am looking for a racing shoe for my latest marathon attempt (my masters pr 330 a few years ago- hoping for a sub 325 this time out) . Was intrigued by these when I watched the sub 2 attempt

For the record, I go to my LRS cause I ride and run with the owner regularly, and I feel like a douche not getting my running shoes from him.

However, Running Warehouse is awesome for shoes if you don't like your LRS, or don't have one, or don't want to pay full retail. Free two day shipping and free returns on new and used shoes (store credit). They were my go-to before the LRS opened. Order a couple sizes of the shoes you're interested in, and send back the ones that don't fit. Coupons can be found with some Google-fu.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Ugh, 2:15am wake up tomorrow, swimming by 4:30 in 55 deg water for 2.6 miles then bike 115 miles with 4500 vert then run 20 miles xcountry then 7 more miles on the mountain with 5000 vert just for kicks ... It is 10:40pm I should be sleeping

So, what are you going to do after breakfast?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

go get 'em carp

Had breakfast of 1 banana, followed by a cornucopia of gels and bars and smoked salmon and electrolyte water and coke and water from random streams throughout the day lol I feel like I nailed my nutrition for what is worth. Only almost barfed a couple times.

I was around 40th out of water at 1:28 then got off bike around 20th at 6:20 then lost 15 spots on 20 mile run but gained back 14 on mountain to end up 21st overall, 18th male, 5th Alaskan total time 15:14:30. So much pain along the way , tunnel vision woozy at last climb. Makes me reconsider the appeal of such suffering.

FKNA, glad you not only survived, but kicked some butt.

I have no desire to.suffer like that.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Finishing that is impressive...
    Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    Makes me reconsider the appeal of such suffering.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah... By now, you're already planning your next race.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

^lol, this is probably true!
    Way to get after it!

So, I am running a trail half marathon next weekend and a 25k the following weekend. What’s the best way to recover during the week? Should I plan on any easy runs during the week, or just walks? I am going to treat the two races more like training runs and not worry about speed/time. I have another 25k two weeks later.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    ^lol, this is probably true!
    Way to get after it!

So, I am running a trail half marathon next weekend and a 25k the following weekend. What’s the best way to recover during the week? Should I plan on any easy runs during the week, or just walks? I am going to treat the two races more like training runs and not worry about speed/time. I have another 25k two weeks later.
    If you're approaching these as training runs, just train like you normally would during the week. Walk, run, or jog depending on how you feel. But if half marathon distance is your current ceiling, stick with shorter runs.

Daniel Ortega eats here.

Beast mode, damn. Enjoy the fitness while you have it. Go do some huge traverses n shit in the mountains and don't just be a racer dweeb 😎.

haha

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    If you're approaching these as training runs, just train like you normally would during the week. Walk, run, or jog depending on how you feel. But if half marathon distance is your current ceiling, stick with shorter runs.

Thanks! That’s what I was thinking. I’ve never done multiple races so close before. The half next week only has a gain/loss of 1600ft but the 25K the following week has a gain/loss of 3500. I haven’t gotten much hill training or hiking in this summer as originally planned. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    I’ve never done multiple races so close before.
    My marathon PR was two weeks after a 50 miler. Ya just never know what's gonna happen in these silly races.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

I once did four 50Ks in a 9-week stretch. That was stupid.

I once did two back-to-back weeklong high routes, separated by 2 rest days. That was stupider.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    I once did four 50Ks in a 9-week stretch. That was stupid.

I once did two back-to-back weeklong high routes, separated by 2 rest days. That was stupider.
    I've got 2 50M and a 50k in in the last 6 weeks. And have one more 50k in 3 weeks. I want to do a 10k this fall.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.