Page 88 of 144 FirstFirst ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,200 of 3600
    Yeah, sure, you can buy a few pair if you find one you really like, but it just kicks the can down the road a few months.

They say ideally have two pairs and rotate.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    I used to switch shoes, but not much in recent years. Nutter, if you like cushioning, maybe you can add a softy insole to a shoe you like but isn't well-enough cushioned.

Also, you sure that shoes caused your ITB issue? Maybe you just needed a leg massage. I dunno.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    When I run 35-45 miles a week, I normally get a massage once every 2-3 weeks, so i don’t think it was massage.
    Also the pain went away right after I went back to Kayano.

Going barefoot is still an option, you just have to slowly train for it. Not that I am convinced it is the best thing to do. Maybe if you run trails, but I question how good it is on asphalt/concrete. I do run on the beach barefoot, and I do think some training barefoot helps strengthen your foot, but just don't think it is wise to do a lot of it, especially at speed.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I hate figuring out a new shoe. I usually use the zappos method of ordering thousands of $$ in shoes looking for a pair that will work.

Personally, I'm still recovering from my badly broken pinky toe (it was in 3 clean pieces). The boot that I wore to immobilize foot flex to allow healing also greatly restricted my ankle. all soft tissue in the area got very weak. It's been a slow process for recovery. I'm hoping to not have excessive Dr visits or deal with PT at a clinic. We'll see.... ran today for 30 min (trail) and things in that foot/ankle/Achilles only feel ok-ish. Spent all weekend on my feet. I walked 23+miles last week during a junior high field trip. That felt ok-ish. Stretching and self message has helped a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    They say ideally have two pairs and rotate.

When I run 35-45 miles a week, I normally get a massage once every 2-3 weeks, so i don’t think it was massage.
    Also the pain went away right after I went back to Kayano.
    Good luck with PT! I finally found a massage therapist here that I like, so I am trying to get in to see her every 2-3 weeks.

I used to run in Mizuno’s when I lived in Boston. Finding new shoes is such a pain! I was happy to find Salomon makes the Speedcross in a wide version. I actually had to size down a half size, but it’s nice to have more space in the forefoot. I was worried that I was starting to have metatarsal issues with my right foot from my ski boots and narrow trail shoes. I was not happy about looking for a new shoe, though a pair of La Sportivas I picked up cheap from STP have potential.

Now I am just worried about training for a 25k with 4K vert in the first half of the course. It’s not the distance that is worrying me, it’s the climb. Argh! I’m horrible with climbs and slow af anyways.

Running, Anyone...?

Good luck with your recovery, bodywhomper.
    Sounds like you are way ahead of me!

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    Good luck with PT! I finally found a massage therapist here that I like, so I am trying to get in to see her every 2-3 weeks.

I used to run in Mizuno’s when I lived in Boston. Finding new shoes is such a pain! I was happy to find Salomon makes the Speedcross in a wide version. I actually had to size down a half size, but it’s nice to have more space in the forefoot. I was worried that I was starting to have metatarsal issues with my right foot from my ski boots and narrow trail shoes. I was not happy about looking for a new shoe, though a pair of La Sportivas I picked up cheap from STP have potential.

Now I am just worried about training for a 25k with 4K vert in the first half of the course. It’s not the distance that is worrying me, it’s the climb. Argh! I’m horrible with climbs and slow af anyways.
    Thank you, Jenny!
    Glad you found a good massage therapist!!

I tried Mizuno and they are overall great shoes.
    Just a little harder side than I would like them to.

Slow and steady, Sister!
    Looking forward to hear back about the race!!
    Good luck!!!

Good luck with your recovery, bodywhomper.
    Sounds like you are way ahead of me!
    Thanks. I think my issue is acute and hopefully will be "solved" in the next month or two.

Good luck in your recovery.

Injuries suck.

Trying to find a new shoe and injuries. The worst.

Slow and steady is the name of my game. That is one thing I am good at! I don't know what I was thinking with all of the trail runs I signed up for this summer. Seemed like a good idea in December. Oh well. At least I will get to see some beautiful country!

Hope everyone heals up quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Going barefoot is still an option, you just have to slowly train for it. Not that I am convinced it is the best thing to do. Maybe if you run trails, but I question how good it is on asphalt/concrete. I do run on the beach barefoot, and I do think some training barefoot helps strengthen your foot, but just don't think it is wise to do a lot of it, especially at speed.
    I go barefoot as much as possible in my daily life and wear minimalist footwear pretty much whenever I can't be barefoot. My feet are probably a lot stronger and tougher than most. You still can't entirely undo spending your formative years in shoes. Even going entirely shoeless in the modern world would yield an inferior foot compared to those of our ancestors due to the preponderance of flat smooth surfaces.

Anybody else put in 12k with a few thousand of your closest friends today?

I got an hour and a half of picture perfect running in this morning along the highline. Prolly only passed 20 people the whole time.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

That's probably better. OTOH, I'd have to be a pretty internally motivated runner to do that, which is a pretty big ask. Lurking a bit in this thread helped though, thanks all!

When you guys go out for a run, are you worried about distance or pace? Or just generally allot a certain amount of time to run?

I'm not training for anything, just curious how other people go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    When you guys go out for a run, are you worried about distance or pace? Or just generally allot a certain amount of time to run?

i usually more go for time than either of those. having 30 minutes or an hour etc and going as fast/ far as you feel.
    of course sometimes it depends on whether you need to complete a loop or are just doing an out and back
    but I enjoy running the most when I have no big plan
    skid luxury

Depend upon why I'm running. Am I training for a particular purpose, or am I just having fun?
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

I have a lot going on. So when I run, I do it because I can. Sometimes I get out for an hour, sometimes 2. Every now and then I get out for most of a day. But nowadays when I'm out, I'm not worried about a damned thing. Not pace, not distance, instead my interest is in sound of my shoes on the path and the birds chirping in the trees. I'm really, really slow compared to other runners. But I don't give 2 shits cuz I'm not planning to compete in a running race against anyone, ever. Instead, I'm out there running because I freaking love the way it feels and I wanna ride that wave until it makes its way to the shore.

So, what are you trying to achieve with your running? Release from samsara? Or something more tangible?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Found a way to get a run in and give my wife a break from a day of family chaos tonight: baby and toddler in Bob double, dog on leash, kindergartner on bike close by. Feeling accomplished even if distance was blah.

Quote Originally Posted by ski-wpk View Post
    Found a way to get a run in and give my wife a break from a day of family chaos tonight: baby and toddler in Bob double, dog on leash, kindergartner on bike close by. Feeling accomplished even if distance was blah.
    Props. When I am pushing both the baby and toddler in the Chariot, I feel like I'm crushing it. I can't imagine juggling an additional kid and a dog at the same time. That's hard core.

For me I’m trying to improve my crappy endurance so I’m doing long slow trail runs (1+ hours) below my Aerobic Threshold (145 BPM). Don’t care about speed or distance.

Running, Anyone...?

Happy to report femoral neck finally healed.
    One point we had to worry about hip replacement, but thankfully old bone bounced back nicely.

8 PT sessions over recovery, strength exercise and SI joint alignment.
    3 more to go to learn more how to maintain to prevent future injuries.

Walking everyday to start running in June!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9954.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	733.6 KB 
ID:	235243

All depends on purpose, but more.impoetantly on where you are training wise. I would not worry about speed, in fact I would intentionally go slow until you have a very good base. Foing fast is the easiest way to get injured.

After that just run which ever way you enjoy it best. If it's not fun, or at least reasonably enjoyable you won't do it. Having a goal helps, at least for me. Sign up for a run, (I choose halfs), then work toward that. That said, I refuse to follow a formal training program because then running feels like work, or I feel guilty I did do a particular work out. I will never run my fastest, but so what, somebody will always be faster, and I am just out for the exercise and to be outdoors. I fucking hate treadmills, except as physics and airplane problems.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

One point we had to worry about hip replacement, but thankfully old bone bounced back nicely.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9954.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	733.6 KB 
ID:	235243
    Good to hear healinging is going well. You.are way too young to be bionic.

Becareful on your return to running. I would suggest more biking, but where you live that sounds like a quick way to the hospital with all the traffic.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Good to hear healinging is going well. You.are way too young to be bionic.

Becareful on your return to running. I would suggest more biking, but where you live that sounds like a quick way to the hospital with all the traffic.
    Yeah.
    It’s not so safe to ride around where I live.
    I like my orthopedic and physical therapist but don’t want to see them again anytime soon.

Congratulations! That is great news.

Congrats on big recovery milestone, nutmegchoi!