Page 79 of 144 FirstFirst ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 3600
    I suspect yes, it would help. Mostly likely you should run with a heart rate monitor, it sounds like you spend too much time above your lactic threshold. Long slow runs to build base and train your body to metabolize glycogen and not go anaerobic.

DIYSteve linked some articles earlier in this thread.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

hutash is my online running coach.

Yep, run, drink, repeat.

Sometimes drink, run, repeat for variety. Nothing like running to a brewery for training.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Yep, run, drink, repeat.

Sometimes drink, run, repeat for variety. Nothing like running to a brewery for training.
    love a good beer run on occasion. Keeps things interesting and i think its good to mix it up haha

Running, Anyone...?

I can not pace for anything.
    I even walked to drink at water stations, but I failed to slow down to marathon pace (10:40-11:00 for me).
    Miserable 11 miles under blazing sun in 80’s.
    Got new tan lines all over.

I want my beer now.

^^^ Didja use a heart rate monitor for that run? Cuz your hr must have been all over the place with those splits. For me at least, running with my hrm keeps my pace honest and my splits more consistent.

That said, I'm super slow right now after taking the last month off from running. I'm really looking forward to getting some miles back into my weekly routine!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Running, Anyone...?

It says my max was 186.
    Can a heart even beat that fast???

Running, Anyone...?

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    It says my max was 186.
    Can a heart even beat that fast???
    yes. don't know how old you are but that sounds about average? i could be completely wrong though so take it from someone else

I’m 45.
    But I guess I have 35 year old heart.

The training tech is always interesting to me. I took a lot of physiology and biochem is school and I understand the concept and the draw/benefits that people have to it, but, for some reason, I am very uninterested and sometimes actively push away from it. I think it's because a lot of the tech came from my parents....

That Eddie Izzard thing is really cool. Doesn't izzard go by "she" or "they"?

did you design your avatar?

167 for average heart rate over 2 hours seems high (or a lot of work) to me but i don't know much, if anything

Running, Anyone...?

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    did you design your avatar?

167 for average heart rate over 2 hours seems high (or a lot of work) to me but i don't know much, if anything
    Yes, I illustrated it.
    But because of my pony tail is not quite showing (in the frame), a lot of mags still think I’m a guy.

My heart was working hard!
    I was going at harder pace (for me) and the course was non stop slow up and down hills.
    And 88F heat was no joke.

way to go!

wait, you're not a guy?

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    love a good beer run on occasion. Keeps things interesting and i think its good to mix it up haha
    I ran once in the evening after a glass of red wine and it was probably the most pain I’ve ever exercised in, and that was like 7+ years ago lol. Never had the desire to try beer after that... plenty of people do though. I certainly run TO a place to drink beer, but it’s always the end of the heavy cardio lol.

I'm a long damned way from being an expert on this stuff but I know that if I ran for 2hr at a 167bpm average I'd freaking collapse.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

This is what google said, so it must be true:

"The average athlete's heart rate during a marathon is 160 beats per minute. That's based on a person in his or her 20s who has a resting heart rate of 55 bpm and a maximum heart rate of 200 bpm."

anecdotally at 34 and quite active, my resting bpm is about 67 and the normal peak I get during regular exercise is about 170 (running uphill or fast)

dunno how accurate my fitbit charge hr is but that’s what I’m using to measure, I wear it all the time

I’m 45.
    But I guess I have 35 year old heart.

Worthless information, and has been pretty throughly debunked.

You need to do some timed runs to figure out your proper heart rate values. There are some good formulas out there and a few different ways to do it. the icardio and irunner apps have some good ones, but I think you have to sunsrcibe to get the better ones.

disclaimer, those are run by a friend of mine, but they are some of the better apps and better formulas out there. Most of the other big apps have been bought out by corporate interests, i.e. map my runner is now Under Armour.

iscariot

^^^^ Yep. There is tons of individual variation in heart rate. I'm 40 and I can pin it above 200, but my resting heart is on the high side, mid 50's. I have a friend who is 25 and has a max heart rate around 175. His resting heart rate is 30-something.

An alternative to measuring max heart rate is measuring lactate threshold heart rate, and basing training "zones" off of that. The test is a bit easier to do (and repeat).

This explains pretty clearly: https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/j...setting-zones/

Running, Anyone...?

Data point: I'm 49, male, in good (but not race) shape.
    My max hr is 188. It was 194 20 years ago.
    168 is a tempo pace for me. Averaging 168 for two hours is not a big problem. A few weeks ago I ran a flat 16 miler in 2:04 with an avg hr of 167.

Edit to add my resting hr is 48 @ sea level and 53 @ 6500 ft
    U.P.: up

Running, Anyone...?

I'm 39 with a 212 max. I try to keep ~2 hour efforts around 180-185, for what it's worth. Resting in high 50s.

4:35 on Saturday in 80 degree heat. Was on pace for 4:00 at mile 20 and just fell apart after stepping ankle deep in a puddle and soaking my shoes which made them like fucking 5 lbs each. Brutal. Puked after crossing finish line and ended up in medical tent with saline drip. Good times
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    4:35 on Saturday in 80 degree heat. Was on pace for 4:00 at mile 20 and just fell apart after stepping ankle deep in a puddle and soaking my shoes which made them like fucking 5 lbs each. Brutal. Puked after crossing finish line and ended up in medical tent with saline drip. Good times
    It's always the last 5!

I ran 7 yesterday at 7a.m. That was enough for me!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.