Page 5 of 144 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by valleygirl View Post
    thanks Steve -- interesting... nothing I'd heard of!! Have been reading further and thinking hmmmmm.....
    run/bike/run duathalons are fun....but KILL your legs.

with a traditional tri, at least for the first part you aren't using your legs too much. so they're fresh for the run (well, relatively speaking of course)

however with the duathlon, you're using your legs the entire time...by the time the second run comes up, you've already done one, plus the bike.

run/bike/runs can sneak up and kick your ass that way

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    run/bike/runs can sneak up and kick your ass that way
    yeah, the guy on the podcast said that exact same thing - implying that duatholons can be as hard (or even harder) than tris..

-steve

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    When training peaked just before tapering?
    Yeah is it different for a longer race say 50 miles then for a HM or a marathon?
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    Yeah is it different for a longer race say 50 miles then for a HM or a marathon?
    I never really peaked, mileage wise, during training. My mileage remained consistent until I tapered two weeks prior to race day. Marathons were a part of my training (speed work!) and I never tapered for them. This likely explains why I never ran a fast marathon...

For a 100 miler, I would increase milage by about 30 miles/week for two months prior to race day and would begin taper three weeks out. The first week of the taper would be my normal milage (typically 60-80 miles) and ramp down from there the next two weeks.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

shit i ran 6 miles yesterday and my tailbone and hip hurt. i'm getting old
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

on the pointy end, calling the line, swearing my fucking ass off
    My dog hates me.
    Was about to go run, dog psyched, 30 degrees out. Fuck that.
    Went swimming instead.
    Dog pissed.
    The only thing worse than the feeling that you are going to die is the realization that you probably won't.

The wonderful thing about dogs is that they forgive you for such things... next time you take yours for a run, it'll be over the grudge. People... aren't so easy!

Look forward to running w/a friend after work tomorrow... then the Trail Running series starting on Thursday. Not ready, but will muddle through and feel great about it!! Audience notwithstanding...

A beautiful night to be above the grass...
    When logic goes out the window, go with it.

-- yogachik

Quote Originally Posted by Free Range Lobster View Post
    My dog hates me.
    Was about to go run, dog psyched, 30 degrees out. Fuck that.
    Went swimming instead.
    Dog pissed.
    take the dog sailing instead

Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

hey! stay on topic here!!

-- yogachik

run away !

hey! stay on topic here!!
    my bad....run away !
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

the little bit of talk in here about duathlons...got me thinking. 'shit, it's been almost a year since I did one...hmmm'.

so I checked the local race calenders and it looks like there's a sprint duathlon (3 mile run, 16 road bike, 3 mile run) coming up in a few weeks on June 9th. Signed up for it. Did pretty well in it last year (3rd overall), but I've done ZERO training up til...yesterday I'm definitely a few pounds heavier than last year and haven't been working out nearly as much. Time to kick it into high gear!!! Maybe I'll use this one as more of a training event, and then really attack the 2nd duathlon in this series for a good placing which is in July. Regardless, should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    the little bit of talk in here about duathlons...got me thinking. 'shit, it's been almost a year since I did one...hmmm'.

so I checked the local race calenders and it looks like there's a sprint duathlon (3 mile run, 16 road bike, 3 mile run) coming up in a few weeks on June 9th. Signed up for it. Did pretty well in it last year (3rd overall), but I've done ZERO training up til...yesterday I'm definitely a few pounds heavier than last year and haven't been working out nearly as much. Time to kick it into high gear!!! Maybe I'll use this one as more of a training event, and then really attack the 2nd duathlon in this series for a good placing which is in July. Regardless, should be fun.
    nice, ron!

what's the average registration fee for a duathlon? are they as ridiculous as tris? other than louisville being $550 to register for, even the rink dink tris i am doing- harriman mini, niantic bay, are all over $120. freaking more expensive than skiing, i tell ya.

Quote Originally Posted by BeanDip4All View Post
    nice, ron!

what's the average registration fee for a duathlon? are they as ridiculous as tris? other than louisville being $550 to register for, even the rink dink tris i am doing- harriman mini, niantic bay, are all over $120. freaking more expensive than skiing, i tell ya.
    oh god not even close. these duathlons are these little local events so they're very inexpensive as compared to what you're talking about. I think $45 for pre-registration and $55 on the day of the event or something like that. the Spring tri's cost the same here. However, I think the Olympic distance tri's are a little more at like $75 or something for pre-registration. I guess the fees go up with the distances and the bigger the event too.

Here's my local tri & duathlon calender to give you an idea:
    http://www.tbfracing.com/events/index.html

EDIT -- Is your friend Amy from Tahoe doing any of these?

In reading about duathlons I've come across Sprint Triathlons, which I'm sure you've all heard of and I seem to recall something vague about someone I knew doing one possibly...

Given my hatred of swimming (and general suckiness at it), I have no idea how long it takes to swim, say, a half mile... any ballparks? I don't know if I could even do that... but I'm thinking about it... would appreciate beta if anyone has it.

It's gorgeous outside and I can't wait to get out for my run after work...

-- yogachik

If this turns into my running blog I guess I don't mind...! I had a GREAT run tonight w/a friend in some woods near her house. AWESOME trails and there's a group that runs there every Tuesday... psyched!! Still feeling the high... little tubby (no massage guy STILL, Viva), should sleep like a rock. That, after all, is my ultimate goal... (well, it's close)

-- yogachik

on the pointy end, calling the line, swearing my fucking ass off
    One of these days I'll break out the portable GPS and actually get a real mileage track.

For now 45min to an hour of jogging/running is working out fine.
    The only thing worse than the feeling that you are going to die is the realization that you probably won't.

nice, ron!

The very reason I have pretty much bowed out of tri's:

1. Health club membership - $60/month ($720/year)
    2. I hate running. Rinse. Repeat.
    3. Almost have to have a tri-bike these days - $2000
    4. Entry fees (age-gouper) upwards of $75/race No thanks... Not for the "privilege" of working my ass off for a f'in t-shirt...
    5. Races fill up REALLY FAST these days - you're lucky to get into them.
    6. Not enough time to train anymore - I'm at the office ENTIRELY too much.
    7. My glory days are past. I was pretty competitive in the late 80's and early 90's when I was about 40# lighter. I won't be losing that any time soon. I still have a pretty mean swim (when I train for it), but the rest is just survival.

It's such a time commitment, and once I start training, it becomes another job. I'll stick to biking I think.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Given my hatred of swimming (and general suckiness at it), I have no idea how long it takes to swim, say, a half mile... any ballparks? I don't know if I could even do that... but I'm thinking about it... would appreciate beta if anyone has it.
    When I'm in race form, I probably do a half in about 10 minutes or so. Average swimmers add a few minutes on to that. If you suck, double it. Maybe more. The hardest part is getting used to having a hundred people scratching, clawing, and kicking you. Swimming without lane lines to follow is tough for some as well. Practice swimming in open water too.

The key is to NOT train for 1/2 mile swims. Train shorter distances and really pay attention to your form. Have someone help you out there.

I probably averaged around 2500 yards in a workout, but generally nothing longer than 200 yards at a time. I work my technique and speed. In the last two tris I did, I was 5th and 2nd overall out of the water. Of course, I hold on through the bike, and fall apart on the run.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    The very reason I have pretty much bowed out of tri's:
    I hear you.

1. Health club membership - $60/month ($720/year)
    Mine is $110/month, plus tri coach $175 month (and that was the "cheap" coach- the elite guy is $300/month!), plus tri club, $250/year

3. Almost have to have a tri-bike these days - $2000
    yeah, i'm interested to see how many people have a road bike with slapped on aerobars (as I do) at my upcoming races
    4. Entry fees (age-gouper) upwards of $75/race No thanks... Not for the "privilege" of working my ass off for a f'in t-shirt
    A few of the races I've signed up for don't even include the t-shirt in the entry price! It's an option you can select when you sign up, for another $20!
    5. Races fill up REALLY FAST these days - you're lucky to get into them.
    Anything in the Manhattan area- Westchester tri, NYC tri, Greenwich tri, sells out almost instantaneously.

The hardest part is getting used to having a hundred people scratching, clawing, and kicking you. Swimming without lane lines to follow is tough for some as well. Practice swimming in open water too.
    wow this sounds like fun... maybe more thought is in order...

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    I would love to do the Great Glen Trails Summer Trail Running Series but I have no time. With MMA on Tuesdays and Wednesdays I can't take a Thursday also. There should be more weekend days in a longer week (hows 9 day weeks sound).
    I'm with ya on the longer week thing... just made my mental list (which better make it to paper) of what I have to remember to do after work tonight and don't even think I can get it all done! Luckily it's a rest (from running) day...

-- yogachik

I hear you.

Mine is $110/month
    Damn, AC pays $23.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Damn, AC pays $23.
    lol... I guess that's the difference living in an area where the world is your gym versus, well, NY. Even my work-supported gym costs $35 a month right out of my paycheck.

My weekend running story: (ignore if you've heard before! <wink>)

I signed up to run a 5K at Sandy Hook, NJ - - the same race that I did last year as part of my marathon training - - and was really planning on trying to go for time (last year, I just ran it to run it and had a 21:00 so was going to try to break 20:00 this year). I actually got to the front of the starting pack (smaller race) and went out strong at the beginning. After going for a little a little less than 9 minutes, they actually had a sign that said - - in no fewer words - - "5K turn-around point." Basically, it was about a 1/4 mile too soon.

The first 3 people kept on going and me and another guy were a bit confused. We turned around and started jogging back, unsure if this is what we were supposed to be doing, and then see a cop car driving up and flashing his lights right by the peloton. So we figured we had to be doing it right and continue back a little faster. He then gets next to us and tells us that the turn-around is "up over that hill..." By this time, already passed by a few people so sprint past them, find the turn around, and finish the race. 22:00 minutes. Bleh. Looks like I'll have to find another 5K to try again...

But, it is gorgeous today and I just went for a run at lunch. Hopefully, my stamina won't suffer during my hockey game tonight!!

As noted before, I hate running...

Short story -- Anyone have one of those belts you hook a dog leash on so you don't have to carry a leash while you run? My wife does. I have a big Yellow Lab - he likes to run! I hooked him up for a 2 mile run around the lake (I haven't run in a while - it hurts my sciatic and my knees). Basically fought him the whole way - read: held him back. My quads have NEVER hurt so bad over such a short distance!! I hate running. My dog can't bike. Looks like my wife gets to run with the dog! Rollerblading is an entirely different story however - I get even with Salomon (my dog) when we do that!!
    Last edited by axebiker; 05-09-2007 at 05:17 PM.
    Gravity. It's the law.

yeah, i'm interested to see how many people have a road bike with slapped on aerobars (as I do) at my upcoming races
    That's what I do (did). I have some Profile Jammers. But now I have ITM Mantis Wing handlebars on both my roadies, so the clip-ons won't work anymore since you can't put them on wing type bars anyway. That's okay though - I didn't use them much. If you don't ride that way ALOT, it's a tough position to get used to and when you're stretched out on a true road bike, it isn't terribly comfortable.

It amazes me how many people are sporting full-on tri-bikes these days though. It's especially entertaining to see them tolling around the bike paths at about 10 mph in full aero-pose!! Talk about GAPERS!! Technology in the hands of the un-initiated can be dangerous. I especially like seeing the occasional tri-geek show up for a group ride... That's a BIG no-go. Of course I used to be one of them (Scott DH bars anyone? Circa 1987??), so I don't give them too much grief. But they just don't understand the dynamic of the group ride and how dangerous an inexperienced aero-bar guy in a group can be.
    Gravity. It's the law.

As noted before, I hate running...

Short story -- Anyone have one of those belts you hook a dog leash on so you don't have to carry a leash while you run? My wife does. I have a big Yellow Lab - he likes to run! I hooked him up for a 2 mile run around the lake (I haven't run in a while - it hurts my sciatic and my knees). Basically fought him the whole way - read: held him back. My quads have NEVER hurt so bad over such a short distance!! I hate running. My dog can't bike. Looks like my wife gets to run with the dog! Rollerblading is an entirely different story however - I get even with Salomon (my dog) when we do that!!
    I like your input even if you hate running!

-- yogachik