Page 4 of 144 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    SSD - - hmmmm... trying to think of something to help you through it but I'm thinking that there should be so much people watching in NYC when you run, that you shouldn't have any problems!!

Yeah, better tunes would help. And get the Nike+ ipod thingy if you have an ipod. Don't need the special shoes and it adds a nice little level of geekness to your runs that increases the fun.

SSD- try the west side highway path, so much better than laps of the park. also, brooklyn bridge.

east river path is pretty scuzzy anywhere except 80th-110th or below delancey.

Yeah, what she said!

Yay four miles after work!! Note to self... do not get all sweaty and then ride your motorcycle home... FREEZING!! But psyched!!
    When logic goes out the window, go with it.

-- yogachik

ok BD... trigger pulled...

-- yogachik

ok my weekly log I hope to back in a few more weeks to 100%.

Mon - 10 miles after work
    Tue - 4 miles at lunch
    Wed - 4 miles at lunch MMA from 7-9:30
    Thu - 4 miles at lunch
    Today - 4 miles at lunch 5.5 after work

31.5 shit thats not enough. I need another 10 Sat or Sun.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Good numbers, there Tucks!

I've been doing my 7.5 mile loop two or three times a week. Tomorrow morning, I've got a huuuge - wait for it - 5k run.

Quote Originally Posted by valleygirl View Post
    ok BD... trigger pulled...
    YAY!!! Psyched for you!

When is the race?

I have my longest BRick yet tomorrow... am a liiiiitle apprehensive about it- 60 mile ride with a 4 mile run immediately after... hopefully goes well. For me to stay with my tri club have to stay 18mph on the ride.

Race is in late October -- thank the heavens as I have plenty of time to train. I look forward to it...

because last time I ran it...

I went to my favorite Mexican place and ate anything and everything I wanted, completely guilt free.

Knew you'd enjoy that, BD.

Of course, I didn't walk right for three days -- but it was so worth it.

-- yogachik

Hiked Tuckerman and feel like I should run tomorrow but boy my legs are tired tonight...

should I run???

-- yogachik

Hiked Tuckerman and feel like I should run tomorrow but boy my legs are tired tonight...

should I run???
    Yes. Mondays are great rest days! Anywho, learning to know that you can run when you're tired- run no matter what the circumstances may be- is a part of the progression. Regardless, if there's nothing there, you can always turn back.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Viva when do you reach your peak when training for a longer race like a 50 mile race? Also during the training do you try to run a lot of back to back long runs? What would one of the back to backs look like, 20 one day and 20 the next. Or 20 one day and 15 the next.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

I dd back-to-backs early on in my racing, something like 20-30 on Sat followed by 12-15 on Sun. I never cared for this and eventually migrated towards doing 18-22 on Thursday, go easy on Friday (easy and short run or bike), run long on Sat, do a long road ride on Sun. Mon was rest day.

This worked really well for me.

I don't know what you mean by "peaked". When training peaked just before tapering?
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by erica_z View Post
    my 5k time is pathetic. I am going to die in that 10k 2 weeks from now. Death and dismemberment, I tell you.

Yeah, I have a 10k in two weeks as well. And I have to wim 1000 yds and bike 29 miles before I even start running. After I finished my bike/run brick yesterday I confirmed what I knew all along: the run is going to SUCK.
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

is your goal to finish and enjoy the experience?

if you could bike 50 miles or hike tucks then you should be able to run a 10k - just don't try to break any speed records - run it slow (more than 10 minutes per mile) and you'll be fine..

and don't try to keep up with bd4a..

-steve

on the pointy end, calling the line, swearing my fucking ass off
    Couple days ago, I got up, threw the leash on the dog and went for a 1hr trail run/jog.

It wasn't bad.
    The only thing worse than the feeling that you are going to die is the realization that you probably won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Plakespear View Post
    Yeah, I have a 10k in two weeks as well. And I have to wim 1000 yds and bike 29 miles before I even start running. After I finished my bike/run brick yesterday I confirmed what I knew all along: the run is going to SUCK.
    I predict:

I lead on the swim, you fly past me on the bike, and I catch you on the run. Then a battle of sheer will for the win.

Quote Originally Posted by BeanDip4All View Post
    I predict:

I lead on the swim, you fly past me on the bike, and I catch you on the run. Then a battle of sheer will for the win.
    We all gotta hate something -- for me it's swimming. So this is O-U-T for me... EVER. But I'm cheering for both of you -- regardless of who wins the battle of wills!

I lost the battle today -- really wanted/needed/shoulda had a run but family came first...

-- yogachik

We all gotta hate something -- for me it's swimming. So this is O-U-T for me... EVER. But I'm cheering for both of you -- regardless of who wins the battle of wills!

I lost the battle today -- really wanted/needed/shoulda had a run but family came first...
    they have duathalons.. run-bike-run (or vice-versa).. that might be an option.

-steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    they have duathalons.. run-bike-run (or vice-versa).. that might be an option.

-steve
    btw, here was a good podcast about duathalons:

http://www.enduranceplanet.com/
    (scroll down to april 12th)

Skis is offline It's one louder, isn't it
    Anyone doing the NYC marathon in November?

With the bridges and the crowds at the start, it's not the fastest course, but I'm still hoping to hit 3:10 and qualify for Boston. Did Philly in 3:22 a couple years ago and was on 3:10 pace at Chicago last year until my legs froze and seized. Frustrating.

i'm in the lotto for nyc..

definitely running philadelphia two weeks later though.
    so if i'm picked, i haven't decided yet whether i'll postpone it til 2008 or run it easy as a long training run for philly.

-steve

Skis is offline It's one louder, isn't it
    Might as well postpone it. No fun not giving it your all. Philly is a nice run. Watch out for the last part of the course, you end up doing an out and back with the turnaround at mile 20. The last 6 miles are mostly uphill.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    btw, here was a good podcast about duathalons:

http://www.enduranceplanet.com/
    (scroll down to april 12th)
    thanks Steve -- interesting... nothing I'd heard of!! Have been reading further and thinking hmmmmm.....

-- yogachik

Quote Originally Posted by BeanDip4All View Post
    I predict:

I predict:

We both puke shortly after crossing the finish line
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)