Page 132 of 144 FirstFirst ... 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 ... LastLast
Results 3,276 to 3,300 of 3600
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Looks like there's a resounding thought of upping mileage which I figured and I think I can happily do.

As far as getting down to the 3 hour mark, we'll see what happens. Right now I'm just going to up the mileage and keep enjoying it. Seems like I can cut off quite a bit of time just doing that. I also like going to the gym which results in being heavier (I don't think 200lbs is the ideal weight for a marathoner) or willing to sacrifice how social I am now, I'd also like to keep traveling a lot, we'll see how that works with running. But we'll see what happens. Looking forward to posting about some summer trails.

Thanks for entertaining my thought.

Running and travel can work well if you make an effort. Easy to stuff a pair of shoes and a few clothes in a suitcase. If you bring old shoes you can toss them when you're done and not have to haul them back. Pick a place to stay based on proximity to trails or running routes. And it's a great way to get a different view of where you are. I've had great runs in NYC, Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, Portland, Boulder, San Diego, New Orleans, Vegas, London, Dublin, Amsterdam, Paris, Nice, Sydney, Tokyo, Shanghai, Singapore, Warsaw, Zurich. Only place I resorted to running in the hotel gym was Bangalore, too scared of the traffic to run outside there.

Nice work PNC! I was wondering how your race went.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    My marathon made me realize that I don't love road running enough to do it again. I'll stick to trails and half marathons on the road. I'm too old to put in the work necessary when I have a lot of other interests. But if you want it and get a good training schedule, go for it! We'll be cheering you on!
    Phatty, you and I had exactly the same marathon experience. I don't think I've done a road race longer than 5k since I ran the Seattle Marathon. I have a 50mi trail race on the calendar for next summer though. We're both in the Seattle area, we should do a run together sometime (assuming you're ok with going real slow).

Sub-3 at 200 lbs is definitely ambitious. It's not even so much about mileage as it about hours. Getting that fast requires spending lots of time at low intensities building your aerobic engine, somewhere in the range of 10-15 hours/week. There's lots of applicable info the Sprockets Training thread, a lot of it from XtrPickles who is a PhD exercise physiologist.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Running and travel can work well if you make an effort. Easy to stuff a pair of shoes and a few clothes in a suitcase. If you bring old shoes you can toss them when you're done and not have to haul them back. Pick a place to stay based on proximity to trails or running routes. And it's a great way to get a different view of where you are. I've had great runs in NYC, Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, Portland, Boulder, San Diego, New Orleans, Vegas, London, Dublin, Amsterdam, Paris, Nice, Sydney, Tokyo, Shanghai, Singapore, Warsaw, Zurich. Only place I resorted to running in the hotel gym was Bangalore, too scared of the traffic to run outside there.
    I love to run on work trips. Best way to really explore a city. Most major cities are built around water so there's always some river/lake/coast to run along.

Buke, for sure! I'm not particularly fast myself. I'm out in Issaquah close to some great trails.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Great point. I was flying twice a week for work for 18months and was still able to run 5-6 days a week.

Also, as you build up mileage it'll be important to have a solid warmup, core strength, and rolling routine. Or at least I felt it was important to minimize/avoid injuries at more consistent mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesNCream View Post
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Looks like there's a resounding thought of upping mileage which I figured and I think I can happily do.

As far as getting down to the 3 hour mark, we'll see what happens. Right now I'm just going to up the mileage and keep enjoying it. Seems like I can cut off quite a bit of time just doing that. I also like going to the gym which results in being heavier (I don't think 200lbs is the ideal weight for a marathoner) or willing to sacrifice how social I am now, I'd also like to keep traveling a lot, we'll see how that works with running. But we'll see what happens. Looking forward to posting about some summer trails.

You at the fun part of the curve where you can snag the low hanging fruit and feel ‘improvement’.

I’m 6’1” and 215 lbs and definitely excel percentage wise in flat road races . As soon as you throw in substantial vert the fit 140-60 pounders just float away up the hill!

I’m 42 and started running training in earnest 6 years ago . A year in I did my first HM and was like 1:24 and I was like ok , let’s break 1:20.
    I got a 1:19:40 like 3 races later in the same summer .

Then I’m thinking ok 1:15 … yeah right, 6 years later and I have yet to actually break 1:20 again!

Lots of 1:21-23 range . Funny thing is my 5k (17:00) and 10k (37:00) pace are barely faster then HM pace

Maybe my legs are on the downhill slide speed wise but I feel stronger on the long game .

Fact: I’ve never tried a road full marathon . I’ve done 4-5 trail races and get about 4:00 each time (with 2-3k vert)

Dang and I’ve been thinking of running goals for next summer and telling myself to get after breaking 3hr , but it is gonna suck .

The thing is if I make effort for breaking 3, that could lead to breaking 1:15 … the law of diminishing returns is a bitch

If I can do it , your 28 year old self can do it !

Edit: oh yeah there is 62 year old guy here who beats me every time , consistently hitting 1:19. He catches me at mile 10 in the HM every time , which should be big hint to me you’d think as far as race tactics go

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesNCream View Post

< 3 hours is a big commitment, it took me 4 marathons and several attempts at different training programs to figure out what worked for me. I never got the nutrition part dialed, I always prefer morning runs on an empty stomach but you can't do that for such a long race. If I ever do another one for time I'll focus on that part first.

The program that really got my speed down was Hal Higdon's Boston training program. It was free on his website, I'm assuming it still is. The track work was brutal but you really start to see improvements after a few weeks of it. You run an 800 with a 400 cool down, then keep repeating. You build up to 8 sets of that and supposedly your 800 time in minutes should translate to your marathon pace in hours. It was pretty accurate until the usual performance drop off at the 21-22 mile mark; I was able to sustain a 2:40 pace but then dropped rapidly and finished in 2:54. That was my PR and got me into the 2016 Boston race. Boston is a great race for the atmosphere, some people love the course but I thought the logistics made it the worst race I've experienced. Taking a bus out to the start several hours beforehand, waiting around to start the race after you're usually already done makes for a long day and difficult to prepare for. I'm glad I did it but have no desire to run it again.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.
    God created skis and surfboards to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.

I love to run on work trips. Best way to really explore a city. Most major cities are built around water so there's always some river/lake/coast to run along.

Buke, for sure! I'm not particularly fast myself. I'm out in Issaquah close to some great trails.
    Yep. When I traveled for work, the easiest way for me to consistently work out was running. Just shoes a few socks, T's, and shorts and you can run. And it doesn't take too much time. get to hotel, change, run....30min-1hr running is a pretty good workout....save the longer runs for when I have more time.

The only issue I ever had was, on some rural trips: DOGS. Down in the rural south, the pities are no joke
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Hey trail geeks...

I've have a 50K trail run coming up. I've never really found trail shoes I like. I think I've figured out that, for me, they lack the POP of the road running shoes I've come to love (Nike Peg Turbo2, Sauc Endo Pro...both carbon plated). Recently, I got the Hoka CarbonX2 (another carbon plate...there's a theme here) on clearance and it is FANTASTIC. It has the pop of carbon racing shoes...but marshmallowy goodness for a 185# person...but not wallowy (like a lot of super cushioned shoes I've tried). Hoka's I've tried in the past seemed kinda dead/wooden to me...but not the X2...it's a great shoe.

The trail run isn't too technical...but more that a road shoe is beneficial/preferred. Any suggestions?

There are some great pictures in this thread, particularly from the PNW. While I prefer to run trails over pavement, I've spent the past several years living in one of the largest cities in the world and spend most of my time running in a very urban environment.

Some random photos from my usual running route over the past year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220330_073105.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	899.4 KB 
ID:	437647

Name:	20211113_080415.jpg 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	437650

Name:	20220330_073533.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	437651

Name:	20211113_075706.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	437652

Name:	20211113_081041.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	437653
    God created skis and surfboards to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Hey trail geeks...

I've have a 50K trail run coming up. I've never really found trail shoes I like. I think I've figured out that, for me, they lack the POP of the road running shoes I've come to love (Nike Peg Turbo2, Sauc Endo Pro...both carbon plated). Recently, I got the Hoka CarbonX2 (another carbon plate...there's a theme here) on clearance and it is FANTASTIC. It has the pop of carbon racing shoes...but marshmallowy goodness for a 185# person...but not wallowy (like a lot of super cushioned shoes I've tried). Hoka's I've tried in the past seemed kinda dead/wooden to me...but not the X2...it's a great shoe.

The trail run isn't too technical...but more that a road shoe is beneficial/preferred. Any suggestions?
    I like Altra Superiors for a good weight/squish balance. Topo MT2s are pretty light and poppy, but have a bit more padding and heel rise than the Supes. Disclaimer: I need a roomy toe box and I like minimal heel rise and aggressive tread, so it’s been a while since I’ve owned anything other than Altra and Topo.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Hey trail geeks...

I'm a Saucony fan boy and usually run in the Xodus. The new Xodus Ultra is supposed to be going after the super cushion market. They are the next shoe I'm buying.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeCrudSkier View Post
    There are some great pictures in this thread, particularly from the PNW. While I prefer to run trails over pavement, I've spent the past several years living in one of the largest cities in the world and spend most of my time running in a very urban environment.

Some random photos from my usual running route over the past year.

Name:	20220330_073105.jpg 
Size:	899.4 KB 
ID:	437647

Name:	20211113_080415.jpg 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	437650

Name:	20220330_073533.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	437651

Name:	20211113_075706.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	437652

Name:	20211113_081041.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	437653
    Tokyo? Man, I've had some of my favorite "city" runs there. My favorite big city to visit.

I'm a Saucony fan boy and usually run in the Xodus. The new Xodus Ultra is supposed to be going after the super cushion market. They are the next shoe I'm buying.
    I’m thinking on the new Endorphin Trail. The Endo Pro is top 2 or 3 shoe of all time for me….I LOVE IT, but 2 bills is a BIG hit. (I’ve always waited for Endo to go on sale…never paid more than $99.99 for a pair).

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

So, I love my Nike 4% but this race they kind if got the best off me.

I have always run with no socks in them because they are snug and 'high performance' and have not really had any problems in about 10 or so HMs

I did this Kona HM back on Nov 12. The entire course is an out and back on Ali'i Drive. About 3 miles in I started feeling a new hot spot under arch of foot. I was thinking it was the little tag rubbing or something. Never hurt before. It got bad enough I had to modify stride a bit but kept up the pace.

The race by the way was awesome! 6 am start in the dark to stay ahead of the heat. It almost felt like a gentleman start for the first mile as we chugged up the first hill...

I held third all the way to the turn around and was finally caught around mile 9 as my right foot was now hurting... what gives?!

In the end I figured it was the very gentle outward slope they intentionally put in road for water drainage. My feet were twisting over just enough to rub one way then the other, that coupled with the tropical sweat sloshing around... yikes!

Im glad I didn't look at my feet until the finish! 5th place, 1:24

Name:	blood shoes.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	570.8 KB 
ID:	437696

Thinking of breaking god damned 3 hr. It's 5 deg out right now.
    What would David Goggins do? Custom spikes in Speed goats

Name:	spikes.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	774.2 KB 
ID:	437697

Is the Carbon x2 the same as this Tecton X ? I really like these as they have some 'pop' underfoot. And I really like the way the laces run down to toes for snug fit, where other Hokas can feel like clown shoes

Name:	tecton x.jpg 
Size:	823.4 KB 
ID:	437698

I’m thinking on the new Endorphin Trail. The Endo Pro is top 2 or 3 shoe of all time for me….I LOVE IT, but 2 bills is a BIG hit. (I’ve always waited for Endo to go on sale…never paid more than $99.99 for a pair).

Same. I use the Endo Speed for roads and love it. I forgot they had an Endo Trail. Hopefully it will hit sales when next model comes out. Agree that I can't spend two bills on a pair of shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post

Name:	spikes.jpg 
Size:	774.2 KB 
ID:	437697

Is the Carbon x2 the same as this Tecton X ? I really like these as they have some 'pop' underfoot. And I really like the way the laces run down to toes for snug fit, where other Hokas can feel like clown shoes

Name:	tecton x.jpg 
Size:	823.4 KB 
ID:	437698
    So it is aaaaaaand the V2 is coming out….maybe there’ll be some V1 price slashing soon!

Thanks!

Hey trail geeks...

I've have a 50K trail run coming up. I've never really found trail shoes I like.

Run with what works for you.

I have forty ultra finishes, plus a handful of trail marathons, and paced friends at various hundreds. I ran street shoes for almost all of these events without issue. The only time that I felt "under-shoed" was at some 50K out of Corvallis. That race featured rolling hills and copious mud- very slippy! The last time I ran We$tern $tates, I wore the Asics DS Trainer, basically a built-up racing flat. Even at Hard Rock, street shoes were fine.

Trail shoes are great if greater traction is desired.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Viva, The Mac Dunn 50k?! I ran it for the first time last year and loved the course, especially the sloppy descents.

Running, Anyone...?

I run in Hoka Zinal trail shoes and like them but found they have a long break in period. I decided they weren’t the shoe for me at least twice before I broke them in. Limited cushioning (for Hoka) but enough for my 180lbs, good lug pattern, good longevity - 350 miles+ per pair compared to the 200-250 I was getting on Newton Boco Trail before Hokas.

I have had 5+ pairs of Salomon Sense Rides and love them. Not a super wide toe box but also not as narrow as other Salomons.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I’m a Hoka fanboy. For trail, I’m currently cycling through 2 SG 4’s, an SG 4 gortex for super snowy/wet/sloppy days, and 1 pair of SG 5’s.

I’ve got 2 more pairs of SG 4’s brand new in boxes.

Occasionally I throw in some Challengers if it’s buff trail or dirt road. Also Challengers and Clifton’s on the road.

Tecton is now on the list if I can find a deal!

My wife thinks I have a problem

Quote Originally Posted by benk View Post
    Viva, The Mac Dunn 50k?! I ran it for the first time last year and loved the course, especially the sloppy descents.
    McDonald Forest, back in 2000. I remember wishing that I had trail shoes!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by stapes View Post
    I’m a Hoka fanboy. For trail, I’m currently cycling through 2 SG 4’s, an SG 4 gortex for super snowy/wet/sloppy days, and 1 pair of SG 5’s.

I’ve got 2 more pairs of SG 4’s brand new in boxes.

Occasionally I throw in some Challengers if it’s buff trail or dirt road. Also Challengers and Clifton’s on the road.

Tecton is now on the list if I can find a deal!

My wife thinks I have a problem
    Id have to say that I am a fan as well! I used to get all sorts of aches and pains in the knees, ankles, hips but they all stopped with my first pair of ATR 5, then ATR 6 now the Speedgoats and tecton X.

In general though I don't like the ATRs for any sort of off trail , off camber stuff as they are so high they suck for any technical 4x4 where the Speedcross or something similar is awesome.

The Tecton feel very low profile compared to the ATR or Speedgoat and they can 4x4 pretty good.

They are the first trail carbon plate shoes Ive tried.

I don't like them on pavement (where the ATR are alright) because of the harder plastic-like outer lugs on the sole.