Page 110 of 144 FirstFirst ... 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 ... LastLast
Results 2,726 to 2,750 of 3586
    I've also dealt with some ITB issues in recent years, but flexibility isn't much of an issue for me. The key for me has been lifting weights, including a focus on glute med, and glute recruitment in general. Foam rolling makes it worse. Dry needling in my quads, which are not inflexible at all, but can develop persistent knots, has helped a lot, especially after I tore up my right quad and had some scar tissue in there. The knots make my knee track funny. Strengthening my ass seems to keep the knots at bay for more miles.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I've also dealt with some ITB issues in recent years, but flexibility isn't much of an issue for me. The key for me has been lifting weights, including a focus on glute med, and glute recruitment in general. Foam rolling makes it worse. Dry needling in my quads, which are not inflexible at all, but can develop persistent knots, has helped a lot, especially after I tore up my right quad and had some scar tissue in there. The knots make my knee track funny. Strengthening my ass seems to keep the knots at bay for more miles.
    I tried that a few times too. Never got it done for me.

Mighty nice day for a run here along the front range
    Name:  20190927_095744-01.jpeg
Views: 312
Size:  60.7 KB
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I switched to these zero drop shows 2 weeks ago and soon noticed PT pain in the morning. Hadn’t been a problem for over a year . Lower heel stretching things out too much?

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    I switched to these zero drop shows 2 weeks ago and soon noticed PT pain in the morning. Hadn’t been a problem for over a year . Lower heel stretching things out too much?
    I've run in shoes with 4-5 mm drop for years. Tried some Altras a year or so ago and they fucked me up.

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app

^^ yeah I got the same as on your left foot. I love the wide toe box and they feel comfy/squishy on the pavement and dirt.

Whereas these salamons and Nike’s I have are both 12mm drop and fairly firm underfoot.

Last time I had bad plantar fasciitis was when I was mostly just steep mountain running, meaning my heels were getting stretched out too much on the ups.

Nearly crippled every morning and at beginning of runs. Has not been a problem since dialing back all up all the time . Until last couple days and the Altras are likely culprit

I just took the solomons out for quick spin and the feet felt great but then I noticed my twingy MCL started acting up ... too much drop? Maybe something 5-6mm range is sweet spot. I’ve never really looked into this stuff before
    #runningdork

Went to Zion. Did West Rim and Wildcat Canyon S->N for 21.3 miles, 6k up and maybe 2k down in 5 hours. Perfect weather and my knee felt fine. Wildcat was pretty forgettable except for one overlook. I think East Rim to West Rim ending at Lava Point would be the ideal truncated Zion Traverse. But, through hiking East Rim is currently closed indefinitely due to rockfall. Just a reason to come back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191005_090724992_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	296627Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191005_091323097_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	78 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	296628Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191005_093641792_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	296629Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191005_095834799_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	78 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	296630Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191005_105353441_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	73 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	296631

^^^^sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I saw a PT about it when it first started happening 7 years ago. At the time I figured it was mostly an overuse thing since I was actively training for a 100-miler. I worked the program he gave me for awhile, then had neuroma surgery and along with some other reasons just stopped doing long runs for years. I kinda figured it would have gone away on its own in that time, guess not.
    Dan, not sure you're feeling about your PT, but in my experience, a really good PT should be able to correct ITBS. While many people say foam rolling and stretching, frequently it is a gait issue due to hip alignment - if that hip alignment can be identified and corrected, ITBS can be significantly improved or fixed.

I only say this because I experienced in: about 10 years ago I had some ITBS. Went to see my PT, she watched my gait, saw that I was kind of swinging my R leg around (not as much in a linear plane forward-backward). She corrected my hip alignment, bent me like a pretzel for a bit, taught me how to foam roll (my first time!), and gave me a few stretches to do. I was back to running 4 weeks later. (And I would travel across the country for her if I was really having big issues).

Anyway, it was kind of a light bulb moment for me, and definitely showed me the value of a great PT vs. a normal one.

Did my last race of season yesterday, sitting here looking at my data, drinking coffee. Life is good...
    I wanted to break 4 hours...

Oh it turns out the course has almost 3500 ft gain.

I found my self right at the front from the get go along with another guy. We plodded along side by side chatting about trail sections and tactics etc. Though we were out front I felt better that this guy was with me , though he could have been some ex nordic olympian out for a cruise, we have a lot of those around here. We felt like we were pushing the pace and joking about who was gonna crash first.

At mile 8.5 there is a turnaround where we could see the competitors. I was expecting a good 4-5 min gap but no, it was a mere 1 min. #3 and 4 was a couple of top notch mountain running women out for the kill and I suspected I was on the menu...

Mile splits:

1) 8:14
    2) 7:56
    3) 8:29
    4) 8:19
    5) 7:51
    6) 7:59
    7) 8:31
    8) 8:40

Picked up the perceived pace a bit and made haste for the next turnaround at mile 12 where we saw we had 3 minutes up on the 3 and 4. # 5,6,7,8 were all in close proximity as well.

9) 8:03
    10) 8:16
    11) 8:20
    12) 10:27

Mile 12 was slow as we had to climb back out of a gorge and this is where my number 2 shadow made his move and jetted up the mile long climb and dropped me hard.

13) 7:51
    14) 8:47
    15) 7:41
    16) 9:05

Mile 13-15 were fast down hill back into town. I could see #1 about a minute up on long straightaway but of course now my legs were feeling it as we approached the biggest climb section of the day.

17) 14:57
    18) 17:46
    19) 10:16
    20) 10:57
    21) 12:35

You can see by the numbers that things slowed way down. Combo of steep muddy gnar and me battling the bonk. The 2 ladies passed me easily at mile 18 while I wallowed in misery. Contemplating why I do this . Am I gonna barf?

Up until this point I had been using mantra from one of my favorite youtube run specific guys, Seth James Demoor (check him out!). "Eyes up, pump arms, quick feet"

It was not working any more.

I took my time and drank from every stream I came across knowing that there was 5 or 6 people right behind me. Sure enough guy passes me fast at mile 21.

I know that the flat pavement/ gravel section was coming and I was going to have to lay down some heat to break 4 hours.
    I came to the bike path split and I wanted to be there at 3:20 and it was 3:23!! Holy shit I'm on track for my race plan.

I chugged one last Gu and started rolling on the flats feeling half decent.

I was in 5th and could see 4th about 1/4 mile up.
    We dropped back into trees and I came up with new mantra that seemed to work

"Im grateful for my health. Im grateful for my family. I'm grateful for being able to even do this"
    And the pain seemed to melt away and I started feeling all emotional...

22) 9:12
    23) 8:40
    24) 8:53
    25) 8:19.

I popped out of the woods for last mile and there was #4 guy going slow. I snuck up on him and asked if we were gonna have to sprint to the finish and he laughed and said no and congratulated me on solid bonk recovery. lol

I pushed up the long uphill to the finish. In the distance I could see me wife and daughters sitting there cheering as I chugged along. It actually almost brought a tear to my eye, that funny swelling of emotion that can only come from hard endurance exertion.

Lo and behold, I crossed the finish at 3:59:30 with over all average of 9:26! 4th place same as last year. But I was 20 minutes faster and felt better over all.

So even though I had a bad stretch in there (which I suspect is the nature of the beast) I managed a perfect execution of race strategy. Now I get to take a few weeks off after a long summer race schedule.

Nice work, carp!

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Dan, not sure you're feeling about your PT, but in my experience, a really good PT should be able to correct ITBS. While many people say foam rolling and stretching, frequently it is a gait issue due to hip alignment - if that hip alignment can be identified and corrected, ITBS can be significantly improved or fixed.

I only say this because I experienced in: about 10 years ago I had some ITBS. Went to see my PT, she watched my gait, saw that I was kind of swinging my R leg around (not as much in a linear plane forward-backward). She corrected my hip alignment, bent me like a pretzel for a bit, taught me how to foam roll (my first time!), and gave me a few stretches to do. I was back to running 4 weeks later. (And I would travel across the country for her if I was really having big issues).

Anyway, it was kind of a light bulb moment for me, and definitely showed me the value of a great PT vs. a normal one.
    I'm sure you're right. A big part of it is simply a problem of motivation since I don't really care about pounding out tons of flat miles anymore. These days if I'm gonna travel by foot I prefer steep mountain trails and scrambling and it's a non-issue on that stuff. Speaking of which, it's October, it's RunDownTM season now.

ETA: There's also the money issue. Altachic is on the fast track to a knee replacement so optional medical expenditures aren't much of a priority at the moment.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 10-07-2019 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    I just took the solomons out for quick spin and the feet felt great but then I noticed my twingy MCL started acting up ... too much drop? Maybe something 5-6mm range is sweet spot. I’ve never really looked into this stuff before
    #runningdork
    I've been contemplating trying Altras but the zero heel drop has me a little worried. I've been dealing with some nagging plantar fasciitis and I'm afraid that the zero drop would exacerbate the problem.

My current road shoe is the Hoka Clifton 6 and my trail shoe is the Hoka Stinson ATR 4. Both have a 5mm drop, aren't too terribly narrow at the toe and true to Hoka form have lots of cushion.

Yeah I thought I had kicked a nagging PF issue but it came back along with a nagging hamstring tweak with those shoes. I think I will still use them intermittently and rotate through shoe quiver , see how it goes , I like them otherwise .

FWIW I raced in the Solomon’s and they were perfect for muddy course . Legs felt pretty good this am , then I tweaked my back at work prepping roof for torch down materiel. Funny how things go ...

T minus 11 days till crooklyn marathon. Feel like I trained pretty well though I bonked on one of my 20 milers (85 degrees and mildly hung over). We shall see-

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Gonna go sub 4, Larry? Good luck!

Gettin real purdy along the front range as fall begins to set in.

Name:  20191009_112058-01.jpeg
Views: 350
Size:  49.8 KB
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post

Thanks for the encouragement! Sweet pic! Just want to not end up in med tent

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post

Thanks for the encouragement! Sweet pic! Just want to not end up in med tent

Kipchoge just ran a 1:59.40 marathon. Fucking legend.

Hot damn! I almost can't believe he actually did it.

Running, Anyone...?

Went for a short run near Ute Pass in Silverthorne CO. Anyone familiar with the Gore Range? Is that sharp chisel looking peak to the right of the huge peak in the bottom photo Peak L?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2887.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	853.4 KB 
ID:	297428Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2921.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	353.7 KB 
ID:	297429

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Yeah, outstanding achievement! Lots of critics coming out of the woodwork because he used a pace car and had a team of pacers running with him. My thoughts: who cares? He ran the damn thing. Now that somebody’s broken the mark (albeit with help), others will aspire to do the same and take the sport to the next level! I’m sure some up and comers won’t need the assistance next time...

Name:  IMG_4080.JPG
Views: 330
Size:  24.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    My thoughts: who cares?
    Exactly. The man averaged 4:33/mile for over 26 miles, just STFU.

Did you guys watch the documentary they made about trying for a sub 2 marathon? He was such a humble guy despite being at the pinnacle of his sport. So cool to see him get it, even if it doesn't qualify as a official time or a world record because of the way they cycled the pacers in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    over 13.1mph. 4:30-something miles?
    unreal.

un.real.