Page 104 of 144 FirstFirst ... 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 ... LastLast
Results 2,576 to 2,600 of 3600
    Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    Monitored HR for first time in race setting. I'm 39, max HR should be around 181.
    I'm 42. My Max heart rate is around 210. That old 220-Age formula isn't very good.

Unrelated:

I tore my quad during a 50K last October. Not bad, but it also led to some foot pain and some nasty ITB syndrome in the aftermath. It hasn't bothered me much skiing, but running pretty much sucked, so I didn't do much for months. After a bunch of dry needling as well as a PT grinding on the scar tissue in my quad with a device that resembled a Klingon blade, I'm back to running pain free. Wish I had gone all in with the PT earlier. Just had the first week of runs that actually felt pretty good. Now I need to stop myself from over doing it.

Ran in my first trail race of this spring today.

Included in the race packet was a random brochure for “ Geneveve - Feel Sensational. Meet Geneveve, a clinically proven, single session treatment that safely and comfortably renews vaginal tissue and responsiveness.”

Not really sure what this had to do with trail running.

...and management lowers Boston qualifying times by 5 minutes across the board. Jerks.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

Another 10k race today but this time here in Alaska. 45 degree , light rain. Hard to dress right, cold at start line in short shorts and tank top. Ran good tactics today though with zero chance of overheating. Kept her easy out to the turn around with 19:00 5k and negative split on the return at 18:45 and another 2nd place! 37:45 new PR by a full minute.

New max HR at 200 so that is good I guess.
    I'm confused how last summer I did these half marathons at 6:05 pace but in these 10k running same pace? You'd think I'd be able to get it up to 5:50s at least but no luck. It was nice to leave a little something in the gas tank because dude was coming up fast in the last mile and I held him off.

I'll be damned, carp. That's nearly twice as fast as I do it. Giddyup!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

just finished a 10wk couch-to-5k after last year not exercising prior to winter, off with back issues.
    and, now signed up for a half marathon in the fall to encourage some progress over summer

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    just finished a 10wk couch-to-5k after last year not exercising prior to winter, off with back issues.
    and, now signed up for a half marathon in the fall to encourage some progress over summer
    I went from age 18 to 37 kind of half ass telling myself I wanted to get back into running and general cardio activities. Main focus was adrenaline sports which had components of cardio fitness. Skiing = climb a mountain. DH bike = push bike up mountain. Surfing = hold breath, don't drown.

Got tired of telling my self 'I used to be fast' in conjunction with too many near death experiences in the extreme sports. Decided to totally switch gears into cardio pain world and just feel like I'm dying but don't actually die... having kids was major part of it.

As of this upcoming June I will have been on very consistent, slightly hard core self prescribed training regimen for 2 years.
    It is very satisfying to feel like body is becoming more youthful as majority of age group peers are falling into alcoholic disrepair. What ever you gotta do to motivate yourself do it, you won't regret it!

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    I went from age 18 to 37 kind of half ass telling myself I wanted to get back into running and general cardio activities. Main focus was adrenaline sports which had components of cardio fitness. Skiing = climb a mountain. DH bike = push bike up mountain. Surfing = hold breath, don't drown.

Got tired of telling my self 'I used to be fast' in conjunction with too many near death experiences in the extreme sports. Decided to totally switch gears into cardio pain world and just feel like I'm dying but don't actually die... having kids was major part of it.

As of this upcoming June I will have been on very consistent, slightly hard core self prescribed training regimen for 2 years.
    It is very satisfying to feel like body is becoming more youthful as majority of age group peers are falling into alcoholic disrepair. What ever you gotta do to motivate yourself do it, you won't regret it!
    not having the legs at all this winter was an eye opener

no more of that!

Freaking beautiful morning here along the front range. I started by leaving my house and heading down to the river. Then I cruised the river on the fisherman's trail for a few miles before switching to the sidewalk and climbing back up to the highline trail and jackass hill. Ended up having too much fun and staying out for more than 2 hours. Had to force myself to turn into my neighborhood at the end cuz I had to hurry and get over to one of my kids soccer games. Damn, I love spring running...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

Hell yeah! Race in Portland I'm guessing?

That's great acinpdx!

In a moment of madness, I signed up for the Scout Mountain 21 mile distance June 1. 5400 elev gain in the first half. I am not a climber. I am really bad, and really slow on the uphill. I've been working on it on my long weekend runs, but it will still be a slow uphill hike for me. I am so screwed. Oh well, at least I'll show up!

I have seen a lot of elk on my long weekend runs, which has been pretty cool!

I'm 70. I ran a 5K in Jersey City Saturday evening. I have the Brooklyn Half in two weeks and given the way the 5K went I am screwed too. But I will also show up and let it happen.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm entering our local trail 5K this weekend cause I want the t-shirt. My knee is fucked for running, so I'll be doing a lot of hiking.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Thanks! I signed up for it thinking "I need to do a 20 mile run that weekend anyways, so why not?" I had already signed up for a 25k two weeks later that was changed to a 29K, and it jumped from a 3500 elevation gain to a 5400 gain, so this will give me an idea of what kind of hurt I am in for.

The good thing is I enter these not really worrying about speed, or a PR, it's just about getting out and seeing places I take for granted in this region.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Hell yeah! Race in Portland I'm guessing?
    The cheater version of the Portland Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    That's great acinpdx!

In a moment of madness, I signed up for the Scout Mountain 21 mile distance June 1. 5400 elev gain in the first half. I am not a climber. I am really bad, and really slow on the uphill. I've been working on it on my long weekend runs, but it will still be a slow uphill hike for me. I am so screwed. Oh well, at least I'll show up!

I have seen a lot of elk on my long weekend runs, which has been pretty cool!
    I bet it will go better than you expect

I try to get through one HM and one trail race per year. Trail races vary quite a bit. Here in the East, we have canal towpath races which are on dirt so they get the Trail classification but they aren't like real tech trail. Seems the tech races have some scrambling involved. Usually a bottleneck there, if you can master the rock off to the side you can pass a number of people.

I have the Salamon Fellcross up from the Speedcross 3s that served me well for a number of years. They are great on slickrock but a little grippy for the pavement parts.

I did a trail race on the Olympic Peninsula in 2016, a little post Rainier entertainment. Got more beat up on the trail than Rainier. Punched through a rotted plank on a wooden bridge, got bit by some wasps and various bumps and scrapes. It was a reminder to schedule those after the apex adventures and not before.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    Ran in my first trail race of this spring today.

Included in the race packet was a random brochure for “ Geneveve - Feel Sensational. Meet Geneveve, a clinically proven, single session treatment that safely and comfortably renews vaginal tissue and responsiveness.”

Not really sure what this had to do with trail running.
    hmmm. I just finished my races until September as its about to be 95 with 90% humidty in Houston until then; i'm cycling indoors now.
    going to miss the sprint work, nothing like getting to your top speed imo; but sweat was pouring off after I did that that last week at 9pm; no thank you.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    hmmm. I just finished my races until September as its about to be 95 with 90% humidty in Houston until then; i'm cycling indoors now.
    going to miss the sprint work, nothing like getting to your top speed imo; but sweat was pouring off after I did that that last week at 9pm; no thank you.
    I grew up on the Texas gulf coast, my folks still live in Victoria. I do not miss the humidity! I remember training in the summers for triathlons. I'll take the dry summer heat and cold winters here, lol!

If you are not in shape for the heat and run by April, you are screwed for the summer in Houston.
    I remember countless laps around Rice University and Memorial feeling like drowning in 98% humidity.

C25K got me started last summer. Coupled with motivation to be fit for a ski trip I kept it up. Running (or walking) a half marathon trail run with 3900' of vert this coming Saturday. The Hal Higdon running plans seem pretty popular and I have a friend who has run a handful of marathons and swears by them... Good luck on your half.

I think I might have been bitten by the trail running bug this weekend. I ran the Destination Trail Orcas Island Half (https://www.destinationtrailrun.com/orcas-island.html). With 3900' of uphill and and another 3900' of downhill spread out over 10 of the 14 miles it felt as much like a rushed hike as a run. The course has roughly 2 miles of fairly flat rolling trail at the beginning and end. I went in with a strategy to hike all of the uphill and comfortably jog the flats and downhill. I thought that I was saving something in my tank for those last two miles but as soon as I got to the bottom of the long descent and started out on the flats I realized that I didn't really have anything left. I finished in under 4 hours (90th/162) which had been my goal all along.

The results may not standout but I was running on a not fully recovered sprained ankle, I was under trained, and this was the longest run I've ever done. So, I'm pretty stoked.

I signed up for the Seattle Marathon in December and I have some plans for a couple personal trail running projects this summer. Now I just need to figure out how to stay injury free.

Got almost 2 hours in this morning in some of the most glorious conditions of the year so far. Spring!!!

Name:  20190513_094827-01.jpeg
Views: 389
Size:  74.4 KB

3,300' of -28% average grade descending yesterday, quads are smoked.

Pulled hamstring this morning (fuuuck!!!)

What’s the treatment to get over this?