Thread: center mount?

center mount?

So I ust bought a pair of AK Enemy's and I am having some trouble deciding if I should center mount them. They are a pretty big ski for me (175 lbs) at 189 cm , but it shouldn't be a problem as I regularly ski an old pair of 205's. What would be the pros and cons of the different mounting points?

Generally: Mounting back generally means more float in the pow. Mounting forward means easier turn initiation. Mounting on exact center is usually only useful in the park and if you ski switch a lot. I hear the AK Enemys tend to be good mounted a little forward for all mtn... try a search and see what you come up with.
    "Freeride is just an attitude, to go out in the mountains with no rules and do whatever feels sweet to you at the time." -Chris Davenport

centre mounting is a park thang, and in my opinion, fairly pointless on an AK enemy

i have had a centre mounted pair of park skis before, and while they were fun in the park and for buttering, they SUCK everywhere else. especially on skis that are not designed for it... the sidecut becomes all out of wak.

i have been mounting my bindings forward for over 10 years now and will always do it... but i usually stop at 2 inches...

i have a pair of seth's (most similar ski i currently own) mounted at +2 and they are a great ski in that spot... no trouble landing or skiing switch as there is a massive tail anyway
    i went all the way to st anton and all i got was this lousy signature

whatever you do don't mount them on the farthest back line. Go at least +2... maybe even +3 or +4.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Would mounting that far forward also hold true on a K2 PE? I'm thinking of mounting mine +1 for an all-mountain type ski (I don't go in the park), but should I think about a +2? Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by SorryBro View Post
    Would mounting that far forward also hold true on a K2 PE? I'm thinking of mounting mine +1 for an all-mountain type ski (I don't go in the park), but should I think about a +2? Thanks for the information.
    There was a thread a little while back regarding mounting points on the K2 PEs... I think with once exception the general consensus was around +2 for all mtn riding... but also depends on your height / weight / ski style, etc.
    "Freeride is just an attitude, to go out in the mountains with no rules and do whatever feels sweet to you at the time." -Chris Davenport

Quote Originally Posted by SorryBro View Post
    I HATED my PEs mounted at true center. I remounted them 2.5 cm back from center (+4 from the line?), and they are more versatile but still a park ski. However, I can still carve them mounted that far forward, so I would say that +1.5 or +2 wouldn't be a bad thing. I believe babel has his 179 PEs mounted at +2 and really likes that position for an everyday ski.

Edit: RE: the original question, you will be REALLY pissed at yourself if you mount a powder ski true center. I incidentally skied about a foot of fresh in the trees early season at Keystone last year on my center mount PEs and wanted to kill myself. It really really sucked. Even if you like a really forward mount, for a ski like the Enemy (unless you are Andy Mahre and ski them in the park all the time), go AT LEAST 2 cm back from center.
    Last edited by Deep Days; 04-09-2007 at 01:49 PM.
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

Andy Mahre and Pep Fujas are riding around on the Hellbent (and AK Enemy with the Hellbent rocker) mounted at exactly true center...so it can be done, but as dre66 pointed out, it depends on what you want the ski to do and how you ride. Personally I wouldn't go true center on that ski, if you want alot of switch ability consider a forward mount (-3 or -4 from center?), but a true centered ski will sink alot more in powder than a ski mounted a few CMs back.
    ON3P
    "a simple equation:

force of impact + force of steeze = 0

the two negate each other. for Eric, stomping a 60 ft cornice switch is like jumping on a really soft hotel mattress." - NS member ChronicF explaining why Eric Pollard still has knees.

Quote Originally Posted by arem86 View Post
    Andy Mahre and Pep Fujas are riding around on the Hellbent (and AK Enemy with the Hellbent rocker) mounted at exactly true center...so it can be done
    Those dudes are also hitting kickers as big as my house switch.

Don't mount true center, it'll be a waste.

I've skied the Made'n/AK Enemy at several different mounts and found the ideal pure pow mount to be anywhere between +3 to +5. +3 is ideal for pure pow float and performance. +5 still provides plenty of pow performance, but is a bit more agile and jibby feeling.
    I've got more suits than Liberace, but less than Eastvailhucker.

Which one will give me the most high speed stability?

but i'm sure that when it dumps 3ft of fresh pep doesn't go and grab his one and only pair of skis that are centre mounted...

centre mount is a very specific thing... its not remotely versatile...

my p.e's are on +3 atm and it seems to be nice...
    i went all the way to st anton and all i got was this lousy signature