Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    LC, throw away those AFDs and get some for STH-16, they'll be a lot more rigid.

^^^ STH yes, but I'm not sure if anyone has given a definitive answer about STH2 arms, though the question has been asked a few times.
    Curious as well, as older style brakes are getting harder to find.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    LC, throw away those AFDs and get some for STH-16, they'll be a lot more rigid.
    Yeah that was my plan - I had some very beaten STH16 coming to me from eBay for under €20 which I was going to swap the new style AFDs from, but somehow they got lost in transit . At least the guy is refunding me.

So now I'm going to swap a pair of STH16 Steel baseplates from my rock skis onto these 916s and put the twin AFDs back onto the rock skis ...but that still leaves my original questions about the missing spring. Any info? Or (again) anyone awesome out there with a spare old Salomon toepiece that they could donate a spring from?

Probably common knowledge, but just swapped out the spherical AFD toe plates on the left for some newer flat AFD plates from Sth16s (on the toe pieces in photo) tonight. Did ruin the spherical metal cup attachment pieces in the process, but got what I was after as those spherical cups are no longer needed.

@ LC my spherical toes pieces which I bought used did not appear to have that metal toe spring mechanism on either binding.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1434.JPG 
Views:	806 
Size:	688.7 KB 
ID:	174872  

Been out of the game and not paying attention for half a decade. Finally skiing again this season. Sorry for not digging through 23 pages, but is there any reason to upgrade from my 997s (or FKSs and ZRs for that matter)? That is, do new bindings have anything to offer that I should care about?

Quote Originally Posted by flip View Post
    That is, do new bindings have anything to offer that I should care about?
    Not if youre using regular alpine skiboots. Lately there have been some catering to the AT-sole-crowd, but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by flip View Post
    That is, do new bindings have anything to offer that I should care about?
    Cool new colors.

Or rather, cool old colors.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

[**Edit/Update: Problem solved. Squirted some WD-40 in the motherfucker]

F Me. I'm having trouble adjusting the forward pressure on one 997 binding. The other one is ok....

Reference/kudos to: http://theskimonster.com/blog/posts/...-ski-bindings/ (Yeah it's the STH, but it's same the principle for the 997).

Setting the forward pressure of a STH binding starts with a metal adjustment screw that is located on the rear of the heel piece. With a flathead screwdriver, you can turn the screw either direction to make the heel piece move forward and backwards on the bindings track. To properly set the forward pressure, you need to click-in the boot and have the adjustment screw sit flush with end of the bindings black track piece. When the screw is flush with the binding track, hash-marks on the metal screw will be showing and that means your forward pressure is good to go!

You DO NOT, I repeat you DO NOT want the screw flush with the bindings housing. If the screw is flush with the housing, the forward pressure is NOT set properly and needs to be reset.

**The boot must be clicked into the binding to determine forward pressure. The metal screw may sit flush with the housing when the boot is not clicked into the binding. The top two images below show correct forward pressure indication. The bottom two images show an incorrect forward pressure setting.
    Correct (fwd Pressure set):

Incorrect (No forward pressure):
    **Obi-Wan Kenobi voice**
    You DO NOT, I repeat you DO NOT want the screw flush with the bindings housing. If the screw is flush with the housing, the forward pressure is NOT set properly and needs to be reset.

Here's my problem:
    On one binding, I reset it (i.e. start off with the "incorrect" pic setting, then adjust the screw (clockwise) until the forward pressure is correct.... however, on the other binding, I get to the incorrect setting and the screw seems to have reached a limit (stops turning clockwise), so it stays in that "incorrect" position, and thus no forward pressure. Anyone dealt with this bullshit before? fucked springs? other issue?

(Note: In both cases, turning the screw counterclockwise moves the entire heel piece backwards, which I don't want.)

My knees and ACL thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Superstar Punani; 01-16-2016 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    @ LC my spherical toes pieces which I bought used did not appear to have that metal toe spring mechanism on either binding.

Weird that yours don't have the springs, but OK. I ended up getting hold of some 1.2mm round bar steel on eBay and did a good job bending it with pliers to make a new one. The steel wasn't quite as springy as the original springs so I put my homemade one into some jib skis that I won't ski much and I swapped the baseplates over with the big flat AFD type ones from my rock skis anyway. The blue parts are 4mm HDPE sheet to space the toes up as 1000-oaks described in his thread.

Also I can confirm that Salomon WTR soles squeeze into my three Salomon bindings which feature a limited toe height adjustment range (two pairs of 997 and one pair of 900S); the thin card test gives a lot of resistance but it does pull out, good enough for me. My old Tecnica tech soles wouldn't fit safely in the same bindings.

Thanks

Hi everybody,
    thanks for this great thread! Due to this thread I found out about how to repair / restore a lost AFD on a LAB 916. It worked just fine and I will post pics of it later today. Again, this is a great thread for all thoses "full metal ski-bindung gear geeks" (myself included)

update: sorry, but it seems I can not upload any pics :-(
    Last edited by obi wan kenobi; 07-04-2016 at 12:13 PM.

Picked up these s914 binders recently. They came with the lifter plates. I want to mount them flat but I think I need the thin rear binding shim plate,1-2mm?? for proper ramp. Little help please.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1476934453.260988.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	554.6 KB 
ID:	190570

Anyone? Just got my Protest back from the shop and want to slap these on them.

Be sure to get new screws if you ditch the plates. Some guy I know who definitely isn't me forgot to get shorter screws and bulged out some bases.

Sally 997/977/916/920/900s/912/914 etc thread, all u ever wanted to know

I have shorter screws and not that dumb.
    Thanks for the reminder though.

I think they're fine to remove, I can check in the garage tonight but I think I have a pair of those lifters that I removed and used the bindings

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I think they're fine to remove, I can check in the garage tonight but I think I have a pair of those lifters that I removed and used the bindings
    Cool man, thanks! You bolted them flat right?

Hey man, physics are hard.

I think I might have the part you want in my basement. I'll root around and try to get a part number off the packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Cool man, thanks! You bolted them flat right?
    Pretty sure I did

My S900's look similar. I had to cut off a small piece of plastic at the rear screw holes in the heel to mount them flat.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

They will sit flat, nothing to cut off, but the ramp looks flat or maybe toe high just a touch. I mic'd the heel and toe bases with lifter removed and they are real close to each other.

There is another thread around with detailed pics for this very issue.

iirc issue, is heel doesn't mount flat without a slight shim. Ends up slightly ass low. No idea if it's significant enough to impact anything like release. Doubt it

No part number, sorry, but I did find the piece you want and measured it. It's on the right.

It's approximately 5mm tall opposed to 12mm for the riser version. Not using one will definitely mess up the ramp angle by my estimation.

I was sure I've mounted some flat before without this part or any issues but now I'm second guessing my memory.

Seatown: I searched and didn't see it, I'll look again. Don't want a heel low mount.

TG:
    That's the shim, but that one looks thicker than what I'm after. I have a shim under a diff set of 914 that is only about 1-2mm but that one could work. Looks like I may need to build one unless someone has a couple laying around.

I only found the one spare, sorry.

All my S9xx bindings have the same size shim I posted.

See this thread circa 10/11/15