Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast
    Had this happen before with vertical height seemingly correct. 1k Oaks?
    .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7501.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	400431

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Quote Originally Posted by otto parts View Post
    Had this happen before with vertical height seemingly correct. 1k Oaks?
    .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7501.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	400431

The toe height screw threads have binding grease on them. I wipe that off and put a bit of blue loctite on the threads to start every season. Solly toes tend to work loose with wtr soles on my lupos

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I haven't had my height adjustment drift, but yeah he could clean the grease off the bolt with CRC Electrical Contact Cleaner (which is plastic safe). Then remove the pedestal from the ski (pay attention to which screw was in which location) and blast the grease out of the pedestal hole with the cleaner. Don't clean the grease off the outside of the pedestal unless you have some G3 binding grease handy to regrease it. Grease the stainless sheet metal on the front of the pedestal, and smear grease into the left and right corners on the back side (you'll see where there's some wear at the contact areas).

Then reinstall the pedestal on the ski with a dab of Gorilla Glue on the screw threads. Next, put some VibraTite on the height adjustment bolt threads and let dry. Then reinstall head. The VibraTite should stop height drift but still allow adjustment.

The bigger issue is the toe is currently missing the wing AFD's. Looks like you have the pieces, but be warned that epoxy doesn't stick to the black plastic if you try to glue them back in place. I've been meaning to try a plastic-specific adhesive but haven't got around to it. Or maybe JB Weld would work, don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    The bigger issue is the toe is currently missing the wing AFD's. Looks like you have the pieces, but be warned that epoxy doesn't stick to the black plastic if you try to glue them back in place. I've been meaning to try a plastic-specific adhesive but haven't got around to it. Or maybe JB Weld would work, don't know.
    JB Weld works. I've repaired 916 toe wings by JB Welding the black plastic into place as well as by filling the void with carefully shaped JB Weld when I've lost the black plastic piece all together.

I also have been meaning to post that replacing the old S916 spheric AFDs with the newer STH 16 Steel flat driver AFDs (Salomon part # L1044750001 AFD Plate STH14 Driver) allows a 916 to test out correctly with Gripwalk soles. The swap process has been described at length in this and other Tech Talk threads.

Thanks to all the folks here helping keep the 916 alive.
    Last edited by slim; 01-11-2022 at 03:54 PM.

Buying some used skis with Sally 900s bindings on them - they look minty but they're old. Should I just swap them for something newer? If so, are STH or STH mount patterns the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Buying some used skis with Sally 900s bindings on them - they look minty but they're old. Should I just swap them for something newer? If so, are STH or STH mount patterns the same?
    If minty I'd ski them. But if you really want to swap, original STH yes, STH2's no

Edit: STH/(9xx) and STH2 heels are the same, toes are different

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    If minty I'd ski them. But if you really want to swap, original STH yes, STH2's no

Edit: STH/(9xx) and STH2 heels are the same, toes are different
    Perfect, thanks for the info. I'll check them out and maybe get them tested - was a bit nervous about them being 20 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    Edit: STH(12-Driver/14/16)/9xx and STH2 toes have same mount, heels are different
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Perfect, thanks for the info. I'll check them out and maybe get them tested - was a bit nervous about them being 20 years old.
    I'd ski the 900s if they look like they were stored indoors, away from UV. I like old Salomon bindings.

Will a shop test the release on a non-indemnified binding? I thought they wouldn't touch them at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I'd ski the 900s if they look like they were stored indoors, away from UV. I like old Salomon bindings.

Will a shop test the release on a non-indemnified binding? I thought they wouldn't touch them at all.
    Ahh, maybe they won't touch them. I thought they'd probably make me sign a waiver or something. Will have to see. I'll check them out in more detail when I pick up the skis this week.

The answer is probably buried in this thread somewhere, but...

Anyone know if a non-spheric AFD from a standard (not demo) toe can be swapped in place of a spheric AFD on a demo 912 toe?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I’m looking for 80mm brakes I can use on a STH2. Anyone have anything? I assume I can harvest arms off an old set…

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I’m looking for 80mm brakes I can use on a STH2. Anyone have anything? I assume I can harvest arms off an old set…

I might have some brake arms you could swap into the brake housing. PM if interested.

Edit: yes you can use any salomon brake arms. Just pop them off and then into whatever brake housing

Sally 997/977/916/920/900s/912/914 etc thread, all u ever wanted to know

Am I wrong in thinking that the 997 Equipe with the metal heal and plastic toe worm screw adjustment is the best 14 din Salomon binding.

If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by fat yeti View Post
    Am I wrong in thinking that the 997 with the metal heal and plastic toe is the best 14 din Salomon binding.

No.

Yeah, no, you’re not wrong. Bonus points if they’re yellow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PlayItLeo View Post
    Yeah, no, you’re not wrong. Bonus points if they’re yellow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One yellow and one silver pair.

If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/

Does the STH2 toe afds work with STH1/916/920 pedestals? Saw a picture of a detached afd in an FS thread, looked suspiciously similar.

Now, I know toe afds aren't the most susceptible to damage with these, but one more way to keep them alive longer is a good thing!

Anyone hoarders out there interested in adding 3 pair of 916s/920s to their collection? One pair of 920zz labs, one pair of s900 14-20s, one pair normal 920s, all with the inner springs removed to drop the din by a bit. I'll look but I don't think I still have the inner springs anymore. All in good and serviceable shape, majority of toe wings intact, no significant slop or issues, all are bindings I've skied either this season or last and I still 100% trust each pair in high consequence situations. I also have a box of brake arms, housings, and misc salomon stuff I'd be happy to include. I'm significantly thinning the quiver and would rather see someone use these clamps than have them gather dust in the garage.

I'd take $350 plus shipping for everything. Located just north of San Francisco with potential meetups in tahoe or mammoth later this season. No rush to get rid of them but wanted to put them up here before general gear swap.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-3453.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	412349

Name:	IMG-3454.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	412350

Name:	IMG-3455.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	412351

Name:	IMG-3456.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	412352

Name:	IMG-3457.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	412353

Name:	IMG-3458.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	412354
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Beef binders!

No doubt

Quote Originally Posted by fat yeti View Post
    Am I wrong in thinking that the 997 Equipe with the metal heal and plastic toe worm screw adjustment is the best 14 din Salomon binding.
    What is the difference between the 14 din 957 and 997?

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    Does the STH2 toe afds work with STH1/916/920 pedestals? Saw a picture of a detached afd in an FS thread, looked suspiciously similar.

Now, I know toe afds aren't the most susceptible to damage with these, but one more way to keep them alive longer is a good thing!
    No, they're different. The 912/914/STH12-Driver/STH14 take one AFD, and 916/920/STH16 (and old Driver toes with metal pedestals) use another. Believe all STH2 use the same AFD.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    No, they're different. The 912/914/STH12-Driver/STH14 take one AFD, and 916/920/STH16 (and old Driver toes with metal pedestals) use another. Believe all STH2 use the same AFD.
    Cheers. Had to check!

Sent fra min LYA-L29 via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    What is the difference between the 14 din 957 and 997?
    The main difference I notice while skiing is that 957 was before Salomon added any cushioning rubber "shim-like layer" under the heel and toe. Those cushion parts got added later for 977, and then 997 still has them.

ASIDE: I think those same rubber "shim-like" parts are actually NOT cushy at all on the 20-DIN versions of the 997 bindings...like it appears that the Salomon racers with the 20-DIN bindings wanted maximum transmission, so they got rigid plastic there instead of cushy rubber. I prefer the cushy rubber of 997 and 977, but 957 are still good without any rubber---you just might feel more shocks from firm rough terrain, especially on a carbon-focused ski, and when landing airs to flat hardpack, etc..

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy