Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Is it possible to swap the toe peice from a 912 to a 914 by simply unscrewing the toe height adjustment? or would that be too easy! I would rather not take the baseplate out.

Quote Originally Posted by revolutionski View Post
    Is it possible to swap the toe peice from a 912 to a 914 by simply unscrewing the toe height adjustment? or would that be too easy! I would rather not take the baseplate out.
    I seem to recall a maggot who reported success on his first attempt, but then failure/stripping when he tried again on a different pair. I never heard an explanation about which models succeed and which fail, but all the Sally's I've played with seem to have a toe height stopping point (i.e. you'd need to force it, which feels like it would strip).

If your 912 toe is not too damaged, you can just install a 914 spring cylinder (with spring/washer contents) and 914 calibration window into the 912 toe piece as shown at http://tetongravity.com/forums/showt...ghlight=window

Older manuals:
    http://www.salomoncertification.com/manuals/

If you just want the latest manual go here:
    http://www.salomoncertification.com/download.jsp

If you want older manuals and the above link does not work for you.
    Here are all the manuals I had in a .rar file.

download this:
    http://web.comhem.se/~u65131777/sally.rar

pass:maggot

-peace
    /r

ps/please pm me if links are broken. /ds
    Last edited by rabbit; 12-08-2008 at 04:59 AM. Reason: straight to the source

There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    I thought it would be useful, in this thread, to point out that the suspension plates, which DR-9s (same as 997) come mounted on, can act as an excellent Salomon template (goodness knows that many of these suspension plates are sitting idle in the spare parts boxes of the collective ).

I don't recommend using them as a jig, but as a template to mark where to drill they work quite well. The toe holes and heel holes are different in diameter, so I use different sized drill bits, and hand twist them through the plate to mark the drilling points.

They can be adjusted, and locked in place for your bsl, by measuring the distance between the rear toe, and front heel screws on an existing Salomon mount.

I have a couple spare plates if anyone wants one.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    NOPE. Plastic toes.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    AFAIK, the last 14-din Salomon with metal toe cups was the 747, maybe the 727.
    If you have metal toe 957 14-dins, post pics!!! All the ones I've seen are plastic.

N41'25,71 W70'40,71 or my mobile ski chalet

fixing heel slop in 997 Equib Driver

I had some old 997 Equib Driver with so much slop in the heel it was loose even with the boot snaped in. So with shitty snow and some spair time I thought I would gizmo um and low and behold two hours later I had a nice set of clamps with rock solid heels. The plastic slides gets worn in the heel channels but it's fairly simply to replace.

tools - table saw, battery drill, drill bit and backwards counter sink, Little dermal saw, sand paper.

1 drill the stop off the forward pressure boot sole adjustment

2 remove rubber base plate and retainer clip then run heel forward off rail plate

3 get your hand CNC machine (read hand drill) and some Derlon. I used PVC not the best choice but I had some rub rail left over from a boat project so i used it.

4 remove old slides and make new ones. I riped strips on table saw 6mm X app.20mm. then marked the tab slots and drilled with depth stop, then cut slot with Little dermal saw, a shalow slot runs the length of the slide . Fit to binder tabs then ripped down to 6mm. then with slides on heel piece fit to rail fine tuned with sanding block before cutting side taper to allow for forwerd and aft adj. oem part is only 65mm L so i lost 2.5cm of boot sole ajustment. Finished 5mm X6mm X90mm

5 i used a bench grinder to remove material between tabs for rear screws. the first set broke because i did not fit to rail first, once the side taper is cut the part is weaker and failed the hammer test. I have less boot size adjustment but the clamps are rock solid and i could always grind more off the side if needed to make the full range.

I bet this voids my warrenty. any solly gurus know if if the part can be had? if so where. once the stop is drilled off the ajustment screw it would be simple to swap the slides out for an oem part. baaa to easy!
    can't spell don't care.

That is a SWEET TechTalk post. Thanks, samhop!

More reasons to NEVER THROW AWAY METAL HEELS OR TOES. Give them to someone who can restore them.

This weekend, I'll post photos of my heel slop quickfix method---not as solid as samhop's method, not as permanent, but quicker/easier.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by revolutionski View Post
    With 916s, I've found that the toe piece can come off the base plate by unscrewing the toe height adjustment. In order to remount the toe piece, you must turn the DIN all the way down, since the spring mechanism seems to push against the centre post on the base plate.

I also found that my 997 Equipes will not come off.

It probably depends model to model.

Wanted to swap a 997 DIN 14-20 to a DIN 14 toe spring to end up with the elusive full metal 14 DIN 997. Does not work as the spring lengths and red DIN indicator marker on the toe DIN adjustment screws are slightly different.

Vit-I do you have that simple heal slop fix figured out? If so would you mind posting it?
    Samhop... nice work but wayyyy out of my league.

Also you all prolly know this but FYI, ALWAYS USE THE FIFTH SCREW IN THE HEELPIECE.

If you don't it can cause accelerated wear of the "slider" on the heel track and can cause teh heel track to break or tear out in extreme cases. No I didn't find out the hard way but I've seen it done when skis were already drilled for newer Sallys.

This thread ROCKS.

^^^ Nice to know. I had a mount with some interference on that 5th hole so did not use it...seem to be holding fine for now.
    I may take another look to see if I can get that 5th hole in.

Both heels of my 912 have cracked at the rear mounting screw. Its just the plastic around the metal track. I have marked the cracks in red. Is this a problem or will the metal track hold down the binding? I posted this a few days ago, but I got no replies. I did a search but only found people with cracks in the metal base.

Would a S912 heel fit a din 4-12 997 heel track/tray with the tab adjustments?

I had a pair of S912's that cracked in the same area as edmoloco's above and replaced said bindings with another pair I bought from a Mag here.

Since then, I ran across an older pair of 997's (din 4-12) for dirt cheap and thought about getting them just for the heel tray to have as a backup.

Sam has been asking me to post pics of the 14DIN Sollys. As posted earlier, these ar ethe 747s which appear to be the last 14 DIN all metals binders.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermittent
    And furthermore. What is up with turkey bacon? Healthy bacon? Unpossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite
    That is like masturbation. People resort to it when they can't have the real thing!

Whoa, revelation!!!

Don't think they're indemnified but they're sweet!

Whoa, revelation!!!

He photoshopped them. They don't exist.
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post
    He photoshopped them. They don't exist.
    Don't make me get off the chair and walk over to the couch to kick you ass.
    That is like masturbation. People resort to it when they can't have the real thing!

Whoa, revelation!!!

Correct, I may mount them on some long boards or something with them eventually. For $10 it was worth it though

Quote Originally Posted by StroupSkier View Post
    Don't make me get off the chair and walk over to the couch to kick you ass.
    Grammar FAIL.

If I run you'll never catch me.
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by brraaap View Post
    Would a S912 heel fit a din 4-12 997 heel track/tray with the tab adjustments?

I had a pair of S912's that cracked in the same area as edmoloco's above and replaced said bindings with another pair I bought from a Mag here.

Since then, I ran across an older pair of 997's (din 4-12) for dirt cheap and thought about getting them just for the heel tray to have as a backup.
    I am rather sure that the 997 heel track will work for the 912 heel piece, I think that the loathsome tab heel-track, has never evolved beyond the unfortunate advent of it's original form (confirmation from the collective requested).

Worm drive is the way baby!

Quote Originally Posted by StroupSkier View Post
    Sam has been asking me to post pics of the 14DIN Sollys. As posted earlier, these are the 747s which appear to be the last 14 DIN all metals binders.

Those are the ones. You need to get the right equipe model, though. The ones pictured are correct: Equipe in capitalization, "EQUIPE", not lower-case letters, "equipe". There are two out there and the lower-case "equipe" has more plastic in the toe...
    I still maintain some 957's I sold someone on here were all-metal. They were very heavy...
    "this thread is an odd combo of win and fail." -Danno

awesome thread

i have some s912s and the afd (the silver/white piece-correct my JONG ass if i'm wrong) on one of the skis wiggles a little bit. One of the white parts will be in contact with the boot sole while the other is not.

the boot will move a little bit to contact the other side with some lateral pressure (like skiing). it seems like this could effect the way they ski. maybe i'm wrong....

any suggestions?

bump

anyone?