Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    N41'25,71 W70'40,71 or my mobile ski chalet

help needed w 997

any Salomon people out there have any ideas about why a set of binders (997 exp plastic) would release VERY easily. I can stand in my boot and twist my toe out din 10. I can't do this with my duke's din 8 or my old Salomon 747 din 8. (i should have used the 747's)
    Im thinking- someone my have put a weaker spring in. or scavenged a part. the salmon tech shop manuals i have found only go back to 04-05 and don't show an exploded view of toe the piece. would the stack in my 747 be the same as the 997 for reference so i can tell if a part is missing?
    thanks sam

Are 957,977, or 997 14 DIN bindings the same hole pattern as 914's?

Nr the sea , on the other side of the pond..
    Quote Originally Posted by samhop View Post
    any Salomon people out there have any ideas about why a set of binders (997 exp plastic) would release VERY easily. I can stand in my boot and twist my toe out din 10. I can't do this with my duke's din 8 or my old Salomon 747 din 8. (i should have used the 747's)
    Im thinking- someone my have put a weaker spring in. or scavenged a part. the salmon tech shop manuals i have found only go back to 04-05 and don't show an exploded view of toe the piece. would the stack in my 747 be the same as the 997 for reference so i can tell if a part is missing?
    thanks sam

check forward pressure , if that oks ok then get them din tested at a shop..... most likely time to bin them though.
    Semper in Pulveris .... Only the depth varies

Nr the sea , on the other side of the pond..
    Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Are 957,977, or 997 14 DIN bindings the same hole pattern as 914's?
    yes..............
    Semper in Pulveris .... Only the depth varies

Bump and sticky request....
    not counting days 2016-17

Awesome. I appreciate the hard work, and I have a few questions. I found a set of old 957 equipes I want to put on some new Prophet 100s. 3 questions:

1. What is the din range?
    2. Will I be able to find new brakes or bend the existing?
    3. You said you thought these were indemnified, but where could I find out for sure?
    Keep it crunched

Quote Originally Posted by ecas559 View Post
    Awesome. I appreciate the hard work, and I have a few questions. I found a set of old 957 equipes I want to put on some new Prophet 100s. 3 questions:

1. What is the din range?
    2. Will I be able to find new brakes or bend the existing?
    3. You said you thought these were indemnified, but where could I find out for sure?
    1. DIN is 7-14
    2. You could bend the existing (although I have trouble bending brakes because I suck) or get new brakes and substitute.
    3. They are no longer indemnified although they are similar (identical?) to the 977 equipes which are indemnified (meaning a shop won't legally touch them, although some will just drill the holes for you and you screw them in yourself). If you aren't sure about mounting, I would either find a local mag who will help, or just buy indemnified bindings and have a shop do them.
    Last edited by SorryBro; 04-11-2008 at 12:36 PM. Reason: clarification

Thanks Bro, and sorry for my ignorance. Do I just look for Z or S compatible 100+ brakes? If they are not indemnified, will a shop still mount them? Thats all I'm worried about. I know they are bomber, and warranty isn't an issue.
    Keep it crunched

Quote Originally Posted by ecas559 View Post
    Thanks Bro, and sorry for my ignorance. Do I just look for Z or S compatible 100+ brakes? If they are not indemnified, will a shop still mount them? Thats all I'm worried about. I know they are bomber, and warranty isn't an issue.
    Well, if you buy newer replacement brakes, you'll need to take the brake arms out of the new ones and replace with the old ones inside the brake housing. A shop will not mount a binding that is not indemnified. That said, as SorryBro said above, you can ask them to drill for a 977, so you have the holes and you can screw them in yourself, using some wood glue in the holes.
    "Oh, no pics. To simulate the skiing today, walk out your door, grab a handful of snow, and throw it in your face. Repeat as necessary.
    If you don't have snow outside your door, what the fuck are you living there for?"
    -Bum Z 1/30/08

solly 14-20 din - spring mods?

i've seen posts describing the solly 14-20 din settings accomplished by 2 springs within the housing.

a quick search didn't yield anything -

has anyone removed the second spring for a little less knee-snapping, but bomber set-up? ...and if so, is there a reliable way to interpret the new settings on the DIN indicator (is it as simple as subtracting, say 4 across the entire range)?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    i've seen posts describing the solly 14-20 din settings accomplished by 2 springs within the housing.

has anyone removed the second spring for a little less knee-snapping, but bomber set-up? ...and if so, is there a reliable way to interpret the new settings on the DIN indicator (is it as simple as subtracting, say 4 across the entire range)?

thanks
    I'm somewhat interested in getting a set of 20's.....what do you have? I could trade you for a set of 11-17 997's. PM if you're interested.

one thing I missed,

there is a difference between slots on the underneath of the 977 and the 997/916 brake housing, they are not compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post

thanks
    you got it right. Remove the smaller inner spring from both the toe and heel. This steps the DIN down by 4 across the whole range, meaning that your 14-20s just became 10-16s. I have 3 sets of 20 dins stepped down, all picked up for less than 50 bucks each at ski swaps (I guess other people were scared of them or something) and have released when I want to without any issues (I run my din at 10-13 depending on a myriad of factors)
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Quote Originally Posted by soul_skier View Post
    you got it right. Remove the smaller inner spring from both the toe and heel. This steps the DIN down by 4 across the whole range, meaning that your 14-20s just became 10-16s. I have 3 sets of 20 dins stepped down, all picked up for less than 50 bucks each at ski swaps (I guess other people were scared of them or something) and have released when I want to without any issues (I run my din at 10-13 depending on a myriad of factors)
    great...i did open the toepiece and saw the smaller spring inside the larger...
    i guess this modification precludes getting a shop release check?

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    I'm somewhat interested in getting a set of 20's.....what do you have? I could trade you for a set of 11-17 997's. PM if you're interested.
    thanks for the offer, but i'm gonna try to work with these...will let you know if i change my mind.

Just took charge of some new S914's red race binders.. do I take it they are stiffer and more burly than the 912ti's I just put back on my all mountain skis?
    Keeping the British End Up!

Quote Originally Posted by soul_skier View Post
    after removing the helper springs on my 14-20 900's and then torque testing them, it seems that the helper springs only adds 2DIN. Currently my skis test out to apx 12 when set at 14, that is constant though both directions of lateral release and vertical heel release.
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

Whats the deal with Salomon S 916 ZZ LAB bindings? I believe they have a metal bar connecting the heel and toe piece. Few q's; Does it physically join the parts, can it be mounted without the bar, and would standard 916s (ie, non zz) perform better/ be more suitable for mounting on a flat ski? Thanks H x

Quote Originally Posted by h2d View Post
    Whats the deal with Salomon S 916 ZZ LAB bindings? I believe they have a metal bar connecting the heel and toe piece. Few q's; Does it physically join the parts, can it be mounted without the bar, and would standard 916s (ie, non zz) perform better/ be more suitable for mounting on a flat ski? Thanks H x
    Can't be mounted without the bar ....... I kind of like them better because of the flat AFD.. ... they are heavier than the normal 916's, but by so little that you would never notice

The bar is a good thing. It allows the ski to flex more naturally because the heelpiece floats on teh track, eliminating the "flat spot" due to boot pinch. This also allows more consistent release and retention because torque on the bootsole remains contant.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

is there any place selling these new for around $200 these days?
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

Thanks for the info guys. H x

Quote Originally Posted by h2d View Post
    Any ZZ binding can only be mounted on the ZZ plate interface. I had a buddy with some 916 ZZ spend all night trying to get the correct ramp angle without using the plate. What you can do is try and get you're hands on a pair of the ZZ plates and then you're set. They're pre-drilled for the solly binders.

'07/'08 Indemnified Bindings List

"this thread is an odd combo of win and fail." -Danno

hey solly users:
    cross post:
    am looking for a couple of pairs of 997 toe shims : a pair for myself, and another for bluebird
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=125884
    anybody have any extras to sell or trade?
    thanks

I was looking for the driver toe thread and finally found one of a few I remember:

Squatch's 916 to Driver toe conversion
    Driving to Targhee