Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Sally 997/977/916/920/900s/912/914 etc thread, all u ever wanted to know

Mount w/o risers on a scrap 2x, click in boot and measure to see if heel is low? If noting else, it's an excuse to drink a beer in the garage/basement.

Those posts that seatown is talking about pertain to the s900, not the 914 - they're similar but there are slight differences.

Be careful of the disco ball afd on fat skis like the Protest. Probs not a big deal in powder though.
    Last edited by PlayItLeo; 10-20-2016 at 04:09 PM.

My bad. Thinking of 900s for sure.

Have your shop order modern STH14 AFD's for those toes from Amer, Salomon part number: "10447501 AFD Plate STH14 Driver"

I noticed my toes was a bit loose while on the lift yesterday and I could move one toe wing in really easily when I picked my skis up at the end of the day. Something's gotta be wrong. Sure enough, I just loosened the screw and it kept turning. Found this:

EEK!

I assume there's nothing to do to replace this on 916s, I think the newer steel version. Can I unscrew the spring and the toe pressure then drop another toe piece or do I need to unscrew the whole thing?
    If I can swap the top would a 914 work short term?

Also, anyone holding 916s or spare parts?

A 912/914/STH toe upper would fit your 916 pedestal. Just relax the DIN screw until it almost falls out and swing the grey flap on the inside out of the way so you can dial the toe down the pedestal with the height adjustment screw.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 03-22-2017 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    A 912 or 914 toe upper would fit your 916 pedestal. Just relax the DIN screw until it almost falls out and swing the grey flap on the inside out of the way so you can dial the toe down the pedestal with the height adjustment screw.
    Thanks. That's what I thought but didn't feel like disassembling them to test tonight.

I assume that's screw isn't replaceable? I didn't see a good way to pull the remaining part out

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I assume that's screw isn't replaceable? I didn't see a good way to pull the remaining part out
    tap it and use an easy out?

I've cut open a 914, but not a 916. Guessing that adjustment screw isn't repairable, but could be wrong.

I noticed my toes was a bit loose while on the lift yesterday and I could move one toe wing in really easily when I picked my skis up at the end of the day. ...
    Also, anyone holding 916s or spare parts?
    I recently had a similar failure. Consequently, I have mismatched 916 toes and a spare toe.

What color you holding? I have red/gray and black/gray. PM if interested.

Not sure I understand. Are you saying one toe wing will no longer hold one position, and instead just moves loosely in a horizontal direction?

If yes, then it might be possible to use epoxy to lock it strongly into one desired unadjustable position. I've never tried that trick myself, but the goal would be to rely on the other toe wing to do any adjusting of width between toe wing AFD's. I guess if I had only 1-3 precious pairs of skis, then I would replace the toe with a perfect new toe piece---but if I had a HUGE quiver, then each pair seems less precious to me, and I would just try the epoxy trick and see if it works. Your call.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    I recently had a similar failure. Consequently, I have mismatched 916 toes and a spare toe.

What color you holding? I have red/gray and black/gray. PM if interested.
    Interesting you had something similar happen, this is my first problem with them.

Mine are silver. I'll take a picture and send a PM tonight. I might have a toe stashed in the closet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    Not sure I understand. Are you saying one toe wing will no longer hold one position, and instead just moves loosely in a horizontal direction?

If yes, then it might be possible to use epoxy to lock it strongly into one desired unadjustable position. I've never tried that trick myself, but the goal would be to rely on the other toe wing to do any adjusting of width between toe wing AFD's. I guess if I had only 1-3 precious pairs of skis, then I would replace the toe with a perfect new toe piece---but if I had a HUGE quiver, then each pair seems less precious to me, and I would just try the epoxy trick and see if it works. Your call.

Pretty much. The screw that adjusts the wing position is sheared where it enters the center of the toepiece. So it's not connected to anything . I can't think of a good way to epoxy this that I'd be comfortable skiing hard, it's on my daily drivers.

I don't mind mismatched toes, I skied a bastard set of 914 heels with a different color toe and one 912 toe for a while. Then I figured out the metal toes hold up better

Interesting you had something similar happen, this is my first problem with them.

Mine are silver. I'll take a picture and send a PM tonight. I might have a toe stashed in the closet.

Pretty much. The screw that adjusts the wing position is sheared where it enters the center of the toepiece. So it's not connected to anything . I can't think of a good way to epoxy this that I'd be comfortable skiing hard, it's on my daily drivers.

I don't mind mismatched toes, I skied a bastard set of 914 heels with a different color toe and one 912 toe for a while. Then I figured out the metal toes hold up better
    It'll match the square tip/round tip combo. Next you should paint one of the topsheets a different color.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    It'll match the square tip/round tip combo. Next you should paint one of the topsheets a different color.
    Maybe I should just have a gpo with sollys on one foot and a Billygoat with pivots on the other

Maybe I should just have a gpo with sollys on one foot and a Billygoat with pivots on the other
    Asym skis are so hot right now.

Anyone here ever ski with different skis on each foot just for shit's and giggles? I've been wanting to do it just for laughs but don't have any skis close enough to make it a reasonable experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Asym skis are so hot right now.
    18-19 is going to be the year of asymmetrical rocker profiles. Calling it now
    Quote Originally Posted by straightlineorbust View Post
    Anyone here ever ski with different skis on each foot just for shit's and giggles? I've been wanting to do it just for laughs but don't have any skis close enough to make it a reasonable experiment.
    I think leelau has while comparing bindings? I haven't but I'm not opposed to heretical experiments

Any thoughts on 997 carbons? I could get a really nice condition pair but I'm not sure if it's worth it

I put a shit load of hard skiing days on a pair. Probably close to 300 in 3 seasons at Big Sky. Still have them, in a box as an emergency pair.

Quote Originally Posted by TeenaGeR View Post
    Any thoughts on 997 carbons? I could get a really nice condition pair but I'm not sure if it's worth it
    The seem to work fine but I think they were the ugly stepchild of the group since "carbon" basically meant "plastic" IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I put a shit load of hard skiing days on a pair. Probably close to 300 in 3 seasons at Big Sky. Still have them, in a box as an emergency pair.
    That's encouraging, thanks for the info
    Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    The seem to work fine but I think they were the ugly stepchild of the group since "carbon" basically meant "plastic" IIRC.

So what does the group think about demo bindings? Plastic toe-plastic heel. Should I use them, sell them or part them out?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG1404.jpg 
Views:	646 
Size:	427.5 KB 
ID:	221518
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

IIRC, with this era of Salomon Demos, you can:
    - Remove toe screws. Remove standard Salomon toe piece from the demo track. Find short screws. Mount toe piece as if it were a standard binding.
    - Heel unit has an additional lifter plate beneath demo track. Remove it. Replace screws with shorter screws.
    - STH wide brakes will fit. (NOT STH2 though.) Or swap the brake arms with Salomon wide brakes.

Advantages of doing this: Lower stack height. Reasonable ramp angle. Less chance of demo toe exploding off ski. Lower weight. Still get the advantage of wide BSL adjustment in the heel.

Disadvantages of doing this: I could be wrong, and it might not work. Ramp angle is a bit of a kludge. Adjusting BSL using only the heel changes your boot-center position on the ski. Still not as good as real Salomon bindings with a wormscrew heel.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    So what does the group think about demo bindings? Plastic toe-plastic heel. Should I use them, sell them or part them out?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG1404.jpg 
Views:	646 
Size:	427.5 KB 
ID:	221518

Sounds to me like there's no real reason to keep them. Think a mag wanted the driver AFD. I have a home for the toes.

Nice to see this thread again.
    When measuring toe height on bindings (Driver toe or Guardian, or others, I'm sure), do I push back on the boot after clicking it into the binding? Just pushing it in and popping it out can yield different results on the business-card-under-the-toe test, let alone pushing it forward or backward. Do I even need to be that precise about it?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

What I do.

Open toe wings. Set the heel so the boot will just fit.
    Put the boot in and check the pressure indicator
    Close toe wings so they just touch the boot
    Set height with a thin card