Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

it's all about the stoke.

Since I first saw a skier slide down the side of a hill I was hooked. After 30 seasons of skiing I still have found nothing else that comes close. I smile when I see a small child learning to ski with his parents knowing that the sport is being passed on in the family or when a Snowboarder takes a header in front of his bros and they all start laughing. To see a skier of unquestionable excellence at a teriffying speed is one of the most thrilling events you can witness.

Whether you're McConkey or Miller or just a first time skier in a flying wedge - it's all about the stoke.
    yepper

Blurred...when you're railing about how racers are pampered and get good off the efforts of others, don't forget that a lot of the freeskiing rock stars came from that background. McConkey and Nobis as examples.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Blurred Elevens Guest
    Originally posted by irul&ublo
    Blurred...when you're railing about how racers are pampered and get good off the efforts of others, don't forget that a lot of the freeskiing rock stars came from that background. McConkey and Nobis as examples.
    That's part of my whole argument. Nobis, Moles, Fisher, Reichelm, Morrison. However, alot of those guys left that structured enviroment because skiing is about freedom, and they weren't having fun.

Originally posted by InspectorGadget
    In one short sentence, that is what it's all about! The stoke of riding on snow.

I'm tired of all the BS spouting off about who's better or who's a gaper; which internet forum is better; whether freeskiing or racing is better.

You're entitled to your own damn opinion, but everybody that's ever put on a pair of skis was a beginner at some time. Was a capital G gaper at some time. The last thing I ever want to do is take away somebody's fun. Unfortunately, there are some among us that are so myopic that they can't allow others to enjoy the sport without subjecting them to ridicule. Get a life.

Whether you're McConkey or Miller or just a first time skier in a flying wedge - it's all about the stoke.

In the end, isn't that enough.

Go Bode
    Go Rahlves
    bravo! well said - its ALL good, all forms of glisse my friends, its sharing the stoke, the passion for the mountains/people/soul of this great sport, no lifestyle, that we all love! bode and daron are amazing athletes, and yes, they are structured in what they do (they have to be) - but don't think the "rock stars", free skiers, aren't a slve to "the man" as well whith saponsors, photo shoots, proiduct placements, etc etc - these people are lucky enough to make a living at what they love to do, weather it be pro racing or pro free skiing, its essentially all the same.....its all good!

Originally posted by Blurred Elevens
    Nobis, Moles, Fisher, Reichelm, Morrison. However, alot of those guys left that structured enviroment because skiing is about freedom, and they weren't having fun.
    Actually, outside of Nobis, and Fisher, I don't think any of those guys were ever World Cup level racers.
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

I figured B11s would just be stoked all us pinkocommieliberalfags were showing some signs of nationalism

oh well

3 more events 67 points

BODEBODEBODE!!!
    anybody want o joinme @ the Skybox for the 2 televised events?

I'd love to. However, there are impediments.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I would love to see them to, bring em!

Maier was a bricklayer in the summer, ski teacher in the winter. He only got on the team through a lot of luck.
    A normal person would of probably had to have the leg amputated but Hermann goes on to win world class races and probably the overall title this year.

Predictions?

1. Maier
    2. Eberharter
    3. Miller (but could be Raich)

Blurred, you think Bode is not having fun?

I'm sorry to the awesome freeskiers, but those aforementioned freeskier-usedtobe-skiracers never could emerge from the euro dominated world cup . . . ever; nor could they stick to it like Bode has . . . Super talent, NH firm snow/ice skier-style; WorldCup champion? We'll see.

Are we comparing apples to oranges here?

BUMP for BODE, killing it this year with his unorthodox style!

I haven't read this whole thread so maybe I'm repeating someone elses point but Bode doesn't judge his results like everyone else. He's psyched if he makes some good turns and if he wins, great. He is out to have a fun life. In the summer he hangs out in Franconia, plays soccer on the local team, and pushes his tennis court roller uphill, logrolls or whatever, but its what he wants to do. It's like Hakuna Matata meets the WC tour. Might be hard for sponsors or coaches. Seems like all the marquee skiers used to race, except maybe Moseley, I hear his background is in bass fishing.
    U-U-U-Ullr, U-U-Ullr, U-U-Ullr

Originally posted by HyRUPz
    I'm sorry to the awesome freeskiers, but those aforementioned freeskier-usedtobe-skiracers never could emerge from the euro dominated world cup . . . ever; nor could they stick to it like Bode has . . .
    i am not sure which "awesome freeskiers" you are referring to, but if you are lumping Jeremy Nobis as a person who was not able to emerge above the Euro dominated WC, i think you are dead wrong.

i have been sitting on the sidelines watching these discussions about Bode and Daron vs. some of the current Rock Stars (former racers) and this has been fairly amusing since i grew up ski racing against all these guys and occasionally kicking their asses when we were growing up. some of the current Rock Stars like McConkey and Moles were great racers in their time and obviously great freeskiers, but as it has already been pointed out, not WC quality racers.

Nobis on the other hand quit the US Ski Team in the middle of his prime. he quit on his terms partly because of US Ski Team politics and some injuries that he was battling at the time. up until that point, he was recording some of the fastest GS race runs on the WC circuit regularly kicking Tomba's ass who was the MAN at the time. unfortunately for Nobis, he had a hard time putting 2 runs together to dominate the event like Bode seems to have figured out in the last couple of years. in any case, Nobis was one hell of a ski racer and overall athlete. even though he and i have lost touch in the last few years, i still consider him a friend and just want to set the record straight about his career on the US Ski Team.

Props to Nobis . . . I stand corrected. He fucking rips too . . . bigger than life at times. Didn't mean to bundle ALL racers/shredders together; each one has their story to tell . . . oranges, apples, watermelon, cantelope . . .

PROPS to skiing in general - I will shut up now.

the quote in my ski mag about nobis is hilarious: "the year before, Doug Coombs, the 'father of the freeride movement' had skied Pyramid cautiously, making 80 turns. Nobis skied it in 25 seconds, making about eight turns. The helicopter pilot thought Nobis had to be on drugs. "