Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    my desk...unfortunately!
    Posts
    1,950

    Submitting Resume Via Email?

    So when Submitting a resume by email, what do you think prospective employers expect format wise.

    Should I:

    a) Write The Cover Letter as the main text of the email & submit resume via pdf attachment

    b) Write a general Email Introducing Myself & Intentions, Then Attach A PDF cover letter & resume

    c) other methods?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Three-O-Three
    Posts
    13,935
    I've always gone with A. Use the email as your cover letter, then attach the resume via word document- unless otherwise noted in their job posting.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    in ur tubes
    Posts
    1,554
    a) imho... I'd also rather send any documents in PDF than Word or any other editable file.
    We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    8,922
    a, except use word as smmokan said, if they care enough for b to work you probably needn't bother with a resume

    I'd rather send documents as PDFs.... but we are dealing with HR here
    Elvis has left the building

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    HELLsinki, Finland
    Posts
    3,708
    I've generally used B... But make the actual email-text really short and to the point.

    Then a longer & more precise cover-letter & full CV as PDF as attachments...

    Though, I have often tried to avoid the HR peeps and go straight to the guys that are actually hiring (& would be the boss), if humanly possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    SEA
    Posts
    1,039
    I've used b). Reason being that if the HR person decides to print out your documents and pass them around, your cover letter will be in a proper format rather than on e-mail memo print-out form.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Jack Tone Road
    Posts
    12,778
    B.......

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    594
    Use the email to introduce yourself and explain that you have attached the cover letter and resume.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    LAX
    Posts
    1,114
    I don't think it makes a difference and have used both, but as others have said try to avoid HR.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    my desk...unfortunately!
    Posts
    1,950
    Where it is going, i am not worried about HR, just what is acceptable practice. I think I will go with B, short to the point Email with both attached via PDF.

    Thanks,

    INDY

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Three-O-Three
    Posts
    13,935
    With the volume of resumes/emails that most HR people get, I doubt they're going to take the time to open your cover letter to read it, if you already "introduced" yourself via email. These days, you have to keep your cover letter short and sweet- and somewhat original.

    I think its overkill if you do both.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bozeman
    Posts
    254
    Don't use A. I did that once and got an email 2 weeks later asking where my cover letter was (can't believe they bothered). They had printed off the attachments and put them in a file and didn't bother to print the text of the email. If you put the cover letter in the text of the email, submit it as a PDF attachment in addition.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Three-O-Three
    Posts
    13,935
    After reading everyone's reply, it looks like the final answer is.... it depends.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tech Bro Central
    Posts
    2,851
    Send them an email asking for their FTP site, then upload your resume and cover letter as JPEGs. That'll help you stand out from the crowd.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    4,134
    Quote Originally Posted by ridinshockgun View Post
    Use the email to introduce yourself and explain that you have attached the cover letter and resume.
    This is what I always did. Sometimes it worked others not so much.


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    WHEREAS,
    Posts
    12,998
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I've always gone with A. Use the email as your cover letter, then attach the resume via word document- unless otherwise noted in their job posting.
    I got my job by submitting my resume, in pdf form, using the procedures laid out in A)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Three-O-Three
    Posts
    13,935

  18. #18
    DJSapp's Avatar
    DJSapp is online now (╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    All over NCal
    Posts
    6,254
    Quote Originally Posted by scoober View Post
    I've used b). Reason being that if the HR person decides to print out your documents and pass them around, your cover letter will be in a proper format rather than on e-mail memo print-out form.
    As someone who reviews resumes, b is the correct answer. I fucking hate reading cover letters in email format. They look like shit and are in a size 8 font, paragraphed weird, and only use half of the width of the page. Fuck that noise.

    Also, you are best off trying to cc the head of the department you want to work for, bypassing the hr shitshow and getting your resume in the hands of the people that matter.
    Fat fuck bubbas are not erosion.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    my desk...unfortunately!
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    Send them an email asking for their FTP site, then upload your resume and cover letter as JPEGs. That'll help you stand out from the crowd.
    I'll ask for a key to their house so I can leave a 5.5" floppy disc with my resume in MS paint in their underwear drawer. That should garner some attention.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Three-O-Three
    Posts
    13,935
    This is a direct quote from my recruiter friend when I asked him how he handles submissions:

    "Only read resumes, not cover letters."

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    8,922
    Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    As someone who reviews resumes, b is the correct answer. I fucking hate reading cover letters in email format. They look like shit and are in a size 8 font, paragraphed weird, and only use half of the width of the page. Fuck that noise.

    Also, you are best off trying to cc the head of the department you want to work for, bypassing the hr shitshow and getting your resume in the hands of the people that matter.
    I think you are one of the few people left on the planet who reads cover letters.
    Elvis has left the building

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    6,895
    In my experience, every time I submitted a resume in PDF I was always asked for a Word version. This bugged me since I had unique formatting on the Word doc that would make the resume look like shit when someone else opens it. So you might keep that in mind.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by INDY GS View Post
    So when Submitting a resume by email, what do you think prospective employers expect format wise.

    Should I:

    a) Write The Cover Letter as the main text of the email & submit resume via pdf attachment

    b) Write a general Email Introducing Myself & Intentions, Then Attach A PDF cover letter & resume

    c) other methods?
    buy my company, and I will work for you

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    my desk...unfortunately!
    Posts
    1,950
    CA_TWM, You already work for me. Now get back to the shop!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,847
    How do you save a Word doc as a pdf? Save as does not have in the drop down, help query does not say, and Adobe cannot open my Word docs...

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-03-2007, 04:35 PM
  2. Geek Request - need a good email blast script
    By midget in forum General Ski / Snowboard Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-14-2006, 09:56 AM
  3. thread email
    By fiddler in forum Ask TGR
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-30-2005, 02:42 AM
  4. Best Free Email? (NSR)
    By Lane Meyer in forum TGR Forum Archives
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-15-2003, 03:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •