Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Little reasons that riding makes me happy

I've been out of riding for awhile and got back into it about a year and a half ago. Now I wonder why I ever stopped. Here's three little things I noticed tonigh. Am I the only one that sees stuff like this or are there others that have caught the bug for a new season?

1. Getting a new bike and finally getting a couple rides in a row where everything is dialed. I'm talking crisp shifts, the kind of landing toward the front end where if you had anything but the right preload on the fork, you would eat s***, no ginsu sounds on the discs, the right geometry...

2. Getting after it in a sprint and watching the fork work (no sexual inuendos here). I know every time the fork cycles it's stealing your energy in a sprint but damn it looks cool when you are give 'n 'er and you take a glimpse down.

3. Getting better and faster. I'm slow and probably will be. But I can't think of another sport where you can watch ride to ride early season and see huge gains in ability and speed as you get the feel again.

I just got done with a super fun ride and a couple beers. There's more but that's what I'm starting with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Stoked on you, Nate. I get that feeling everytime I put my leg over a bike. Even riding pavement in the cold, wind and snow today in Chicago got me excited to do it again tomorrow--to get stronger, to get better. Can't wait for the summer and hopefully seeing myself improve.

Thanks for the stoke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Nice. I went for my first group road ride ever last night. It was fun, and the whole time I was thinking, 'these dudes all up in their spandex are PUSSIES.'

Of course, they fucking slayed me, but I think they are scared of me.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Nice. I went for my first group road ride ever last night. It was fun, and the whole time I was thinking, 'these dudes all up in their spandex are PUSSIES.'

Of course, they fucking slayed me, but I think they are scared of me.
    hee i have my first group ride this weekend. i plan on wearing spandex.

I finally took all of my riding gear to VT to start getting some real rides in, and it started to get cold and snow again. Mixed feelings, obviously. Eh, I've got all summer to ride, and only a few more weeks of skiing. I can't complain.
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

My little thing is a trail by me has a spot right along a creek. There are 50+ foot walls on either side, but then the trail drops down to along the creek, and you are in almost like a beach next to the creek. I love to stop there and just take nature in, and just sit there silently all by myself.

Very refreashing being away from all civilization.

Thanx for the stoke Nate! I'm fucking sick and can't do anything but sit in my office and 'work.' Can't wait to get out on my freshly tuned rig asap!
    I've got more suits than Liberace, but less than Eastvailhucker.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
    Thanx for the stoke Nate! I'm fucking sick and can't do anything but sit in my office and 'work.' Can't wait to get out on my freshly tuned rig asap!
    Just be grateful that your illness coincides with it being shitty outside.

Edit to add that Nate, I hope you can make it to rideit's TGR bike Summit at Teton Pass the first weekend in August. Would love to meet and ride with ya.
    Last edited by Rontele; 04-05-2007 at 09:04 AM.

Thanks for the stoke!

I rode Hall last night and it was my first ride of the season that was clean, flowy, and totally $$$ The balance was back last night, which felt oh so good.

I had been crashing and breaking stuff so far this season. I freakin love that ride. I can't wait for the snow to melt around my house

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    rideit's TGR bike Summit at Teton Pass the first weekend in August.
    Stupid friends and stupid summer weddings.

We are your real, internet based friends. Look inside and see where your loyalty really is.

reasons

Early season rides always bring out those sensations of burning legs and a little wheeze in the lungs at the top of a climb. The little reasons that make me happy is when I see my fitness jumping up a notch and riding a loop and still having some spring in the stroke.

It's almost time to stick a fat wad of wax on the boards and riding the trails more regular like.

Thanks for the stoke Conundrum.

Little things:

1. During the first few rides of the season, cleaning the section that kicked your ass all last year.
    2. When you feel like you've burned all your matches, you find one more in the bottom of the box.
    3. It's only early April and you already have your choice of a nice corn ski tour or a mountain bike ride, or both.
    4. Keeping the boys in sight for the whole ride.

One thing that does not stoke - getting passed by trail runners on the climb.

hitting the trailhead 15 minutes behind your friends and catching them by the top

that and breaking shit
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

I know the feeling Nate, the mrs. and I went out to ride in the Owyhees a few weeks ago, the flow was there...might go back out again this weekend to do some more exploration amongst the cowpies either that or ski Copper.

what did ya ride last night?

I woulda given anything to ride any of the trails last night...the 801 Club is calling....being on call sucks

Quote Originally Posted by tradygirl View Post
    1. During the first few rides of the season, cleaning the section that kicked your ass all last year.
    ^^ Cleaned two switchbacks on a local ride, that I almost NEVER clean. And on the first ride of the year.

But the uphill climbs hurt.

Add one to the list: remembering how fun it is to ride and have dirt/mud/sand/whatever thrown up around you by your tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

50 mph downhills. (on the road)
    if i had a hammer...i'd hammer your face.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    Just be grateful that your illness coincides with it being shitty outside.

Edit to add that Nate, I hope you can make it to rideit's TGR bike Summit at Teton Pass the first weekend in August. Would love to meet and ride with ya.
    Going to try. I've met some internet based friends and they've all been good folks. No reason to stop now.

I'm one of those friends this summer but I've only got two, mine and one friends June 8th or 9th. I'll be getting in touch because that one is at the Lochsa Lodge.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    I know the feeling Nate, the mrs. and I went out to ride in the Owyhees a few weeks ago, the flow was there...might go back out again this weekend to do some more exploration amongst the cowpies either that or ski Copper.

what did ya ride last night?

I woulda given anything to ride any of the trails last night...the 801 Club is calling....being on call sucks
    Trail 4 and Sidewinder.

You should give Joe a call. He's looking at some stuff on NE Copper.

We'll be up at SV for the Hawaiian Nationals tele fest on Saturday. If you can make it up, give me a ring.
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    2. Getting after it in a sprint and watching the fork work (no sexual inuendos here). I know every time the fork cycles it's stealing your energy in a sprint but damn it looks cool when you are give 'n 'er and you take a glimpse down.
    Buck trail is a great one for this.

on the pointy end, calling the line, swearing my fucking ass off
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    the kind of landing toward the front end where if you had anything but the right preload on the fork, you would eat s***
    perfect stair jumps.
    trackstands next to the snooty roadies at the lights just to annoy them.
    The only thing worse than the feeling that you are going to die is the realization that you probably won't.

The ring of dirt/dust around your ankles that stops at your socks, thrown up from a smooth ride...

The sweet ache in your legs after a ride, and knowing that they are recovering to be stronger tomorrow...
    This touchy-feely Kumbaya shit has got to go.

Getting to the top of the climb on a dawn patrol and realizing you fucked the timing so if you hurry, you can catch another lap before heading to the airport.

Thumbs up

Nice, Nate! Time for all y'all B-town boys to come up here for a weekend of riding. The trails are just starting to go off around here. Another week or so and everything south of Galena should be open.

As for me, I'm feeling very slow climbing-wise. I need to find a winter sport that keeps my lungs in shape and find a place to duck hunt without an abundance of heat lamp food!
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Finding new local secret stashes that you never knew about - it's like Christmas morning.
    “Within this furnace of fear, my passion for life burns fiercely. I have consumed all evil. I have overcome my doubt. I am the fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    ...But the uphill climbs hurt...
    Yeah, the downhill climbs are way easier.

Good job on those switchbacks first ride.

I love how my tires get louder as they they reach the edge of traction. The sound just before they break loose and drift and/or washout completely is soooo gratifying. You know you're really nailing it.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air