How to get skin glue off the plush of climbing skin?

I was given an older set of skins earlier this week, and the origional owner had rolled up the skins before putting them in the bag. This would not be that big of a deal if they were mechanical skins, but the skins are adhesive. A large amount of the skin plush has glue in it, and I was just wondering how you would go about getting the glue off the plush. I have been thinking out just ironing off the glue with a paper sack like the normal reglue process. If you have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

no - you don't want to melt or burn the plush

try a citrus-based base cleaner or something similar before you do that - maybe even hot water and a little elbow grease

apply glop-stopper or NikWax skinwax after you clean them

Thanks for the heads up. I am going to need a lot of elbow grease to get these clean since about 80% of the plush has some sort of glue on it.

Maybe try Goof-Off. If it doesn't chemically melt the plush it will prob remove the glue.

Or, another option is to give up and just drop the $100 on nice new skins.

There is a ttips thread on this, which I believe involves a paper bag and an iron. Try a search.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    Quote Originally Posted by bio-smear View Post
    Maybe try Goof-Off. If it doesn't chemically melt the plush it will prob remove the glue.

Or, another option is to give up and just drop the $100 on nice new skins.

DON'T USE GOOF-OFF, it is diesel based and will most likley eat through the plush
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

Quote Originally Posted by dk_alaskan View Post
    DON'T USE GOOF-OFF, it is diesel based and will most likley eat through the plush
    wtf does diesel based mean?
    Elvis has left the building

Skin care

Talking about stuff that sticks. Last year my danish girlfriend got her castor oil (ricinus oil) beyond my skin, hair and ski gloves when I was almost ready to race off. On castorolie.dk an article claimed that an egg could get it off but soap did it for me (I thought). All day my gloves were sticky and everything I touched were infected I don't forget that day..

Quote Originally Posted by Andersski View Post
    Talking about stuff that sticks. Last year my danish girlfriend got her castor oil (ricinus oil) beyond my skin, hair and ski gloves when I was almost ready to race off. On castorolie.dk an article claimed that an egg could get it off but soap did it for me (I thought). All day my gloves were sticky and everything I touched were infected I don't forget that day..
    Sweet bump.

Pics of Danish girlfriend?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I had a conversation with G3 Service on that matter (glue and plush, not danish girlfriends) - actually as I look this up they never came to a final conclusion.

Here is what G3 said:

"Hi Leo, it sounds like they are still investigating the best way to treat something like this. They suggest not using too harsh of a solvent as it might degrade the 'plush' which is what you call the 'skin' part of climbing skins.

One suggestion was to use some of the same tips that we give for removing glue from the other side of skins, as per this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGY1KCUC1fI i.e. use some heat and brown paper, or something else that is absorbent but not fragile, to try to soften the glue on the hairs and get it transferred to something else.

DISCLAIMER: The engineers caution though that this isn't a formal recommendation from G3 yet. They still hope to do some testing before they make a formal recommendation. Once that is in, perhaps we can make a new #G3U how to video that solves your dilemma.

In the meantime I hope the above mentioned tips at least get you in the right direction."

I tried this a bit with some hairdrier but did not get any significant results. By now there is enough dirt covering up the glue so I can skin as normal.

When I have got skin glue on my hands I rub in some cooking oil and then I wash the cooking oil off with soap. Duno how that is going to work with skin plush but I would probably try an orange base cleaner over a solvent or cooking oil
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I use Brakleen and a stiff brush. User discretion is advised because some folks can fuck up anything. If you are one of these people, a hot solvent with breath-ability and environmental issues may not be the best thing. Den

I had some luck last year cleaning old BD skins with Simple Green. That stuff always seems to be right on the line of actually works but doesn't wreck whatever your cleaning.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Wouldn't they clean up by just skinning with them?

more like dirt sticking to them covering up the glue... maybe after a while they clean a little more. How much glue is there in the first place?

Flea comb

I found a small tooth flea comb for cats helped quite a bit. It doesn't get all the glue off, but it does a really good job at making a start. I'm hoping what is left now won't matter :-)