How do you count resorts?

To all of you who don’t care – just don’t read instead of getting upset about the discussion.

Well after “Endless” asked this question about Whistler and Whistler Blackcomb I had to check my personal list again and had some rather long discussions about a few resorts I did count separate.

Depending on how you count it can make quite a difference

What do you think about the following?

- Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highlands, Buttermilk and Snowmass are 4 despite the fact that you can you the same ticket
    - Alta and Snowbird are for sure 2 in my opinion as you have to buy a special by far to expensive ticket to ski both
    - Same deal for Big Sky and Moonlight Basin

In Europe it gets even more interesting

Arlberg region: Lech, Zürs, St. Anton, St. Christoph, Stuben and Sonnenkopf can be skied by the same daypass. 6, 5, 4 or less. Difficult as some are linked others require a bus ride, different management etc. In my opinion at least 5 as you can count Lech and Zürs as one with the same website and management.

Andermatt Gotthard: Andermatt, Realp, Winterhorn, Nätschen/Gütsch, Oberalp, Sedrun. Once again difficult. Different schedule, different management, not really liked unless you use the train but one ticket available but also cheaper tickets if you ski only one of them.

Flims, Laax and Falera are also named “Weisse Alpenarena”. They are linked, have one ticket. I count them as one.

Obergurgl and Hochgurgl. Linked mid Mountain by a gondola, one daypass = one resort for me.

Verbier and 4 Vallées. Well difficult again. You can get a ticket for Verbier or for 4 Vallées which includes Verbier. Verbier has its own website as well as 4 Vallées. No matter how you count this how do you count Bruson which is included as well just like Super St. Bernard?

Now I should better stop before I ask about some French resort where you have up to 10 resort on the same daypass some of them linked and some require to drive.

Well my flawed idea is, that if you can ski (on a marked slope) from the resort to another, and still use the same ticket... So for me 4 Vallees is "one" resort... And, I'll even count Bruson on it, even though when going from Verb to Bruson, you have to take the bus...
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

Quote Originally Posted by paedde View Post
    To all of you who don’t care – just don’t read instead of getting upset about the discussion.

Well after “Endless” asked this question about Whistler and Whistler Blackcomb I had to check my personal list again and had some rather long discussions about a few resorts I did count separate.

Depending on how you count it can make quite a difference

What do you think about the following?

- Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highlands, Buttermilk and Snowmass are 4 despite the fact that you can you the same ticket
    - Alta and Snowbird are for sure 2 in my opinion as you have to buy a special by far to expensive ticket to ski both
    - Same deal for Big Sky and Moonlight Basin
    Bullshit!!!! Big Sky day ticket, 68.00/Lone Peak all access pass, 78.00!

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    Bullshit!!!! Big Sky day ticket, 68.00/Lone Peak all access pass, 78.00!

Sorry about my English but same deal means in this case same situation as for Alta / Snowbird.....

I've always definitely considered pico and k-mart to be two seperate ski areas, at least until they build the interconnect.

-steve

Snoqualmie has four areas: East, West, Central and Alpental...East, West & Central are accessible via marked trails, all four on the same ticket and a shuttle runs between all four.

Do you really keep track of how many resorts you have skied??? then again I don't keep track of how many days i ski in a season, that shit is way too much work....

And BTW, to me different management=different resort, even if you can ski both on one ticket.

I guess I've always thought... different resort name = different resort. The only exception I can think of would be Winter Park/Mary Jane which I would consider one.

Quote Originally Posted by highflyingpilot View Post
    Snoqualmie has four areas: East, West, Central and Alpental...East, West & Central are accessible via marked trails, all four on the same ticket and a shuttle runs between all four.
    2 for me.

Snoqualmie 1
    Alpental 1

kind of like the question of how many trails a resort has...

come visit strapon mountain...now featuring 169 trails!!!!
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=932&dateline=12042516  96

Some resorts really try hard to count 100 runs. Sometime they name a shortcut of 100 feet just to have one more….

I was told by a trusted source that counting ski days and resorts is the ultimate uncore thing to do. Oh well, I fail that test too.

Four things to consider, I guess:
    -- interconnection
    -- management
    -- personality or culture
    -- size

Snowbird and Alta: separate. Pico and Kmart: separate. Big Sky and MB, no clue. Aspen, all of the four seem different except for management, but it sounds gat saying that they're four separate areas.

Europe is tougher with lift passes that let you ski entire regions. Lech and Zurs: one; St. Anton obviously separate. What about smaller places like Sonnenkopf... is it part of St. Anton?
    You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness, and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer.

Lech / Zürs
    St. Anton
    St. Christoph
    Stuben
    Sonnenkopf

I think 5 would be ok. If might consider to add St. Christoph to St. Anton which would still be a total of 4.

Interesting discussion. Don’t know yet what I’ll do with my list.

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    You might want to go back historically.

When I skied Whistler and Blackcomb years ago they were separate resorts. They combined later. I'm not sure about Alta/Snowbird history. When I skied Big Sky a few years ago it was not only separate from Moonlight, but they were also suing each other. I guess that they are playing nice with each other now.

On a separate note, just to do it, on a few occasions I have skied two or three separate resorts in one day.
    The past two seasons I did the southshore tour of Kirkwood, Sierra, and Heavenly in one day.

Lech / Zürs
    St. Anton
    St. Christoph
    Stuben
    Sonnenkopf

I think 5 would be ok. If might consider to add St. Christoph to St. Anton which would still be a total of 4.

Interesting discussion. Don’t know yet what I’ll do with my list.
    I always counted St. Anton, St. Christoph and Stuben together. You can just ride the lifts to get from one to the other and they're on the same pass, so it's practically one resort.
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

Quote Originally Posted by Franz Klammer View Post
    I always counted St. Anton, St. Christoph and Stuben together. You can just ride the lifts to get from one to the other and they're on the same pass, so it's practically one resort.
    I agree with FK.

Paedde, sounds like you're trying to pad your count.
    You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness, and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer.

Quote Originally Posted by Anxious Mo-Fo View Post
    I agree with FK.

Paedde, sounds like you're trying to pad your count.
    Not really. I have 99 depending on how you count. 100 should be special but I could ski some other resorts meanwhile and that’s why I will chance Lech/Zürs from 2 to 1 and a few more like this. I would like to ski Chamonix as my # 100 but it its too far for a daytrip.

Just hope Chamonix is still good mid April.

Not really. I have 99 depending on how you count. 100 should be special but I could ski some other resorts meanwhile.
    OK, mate... let's see this list of 99 or 100 separate ski areas.

I only got in 22 days this year, so regardless, I'll be impressed.
    Last edited by Anxious Mo-Fo; 04-02-2007 at 06:17 AM.