Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thumbs down Profanity in the thread topic lines

I'd like to make a plea to the rest of the community, and perhaps I'm on my own regarding this, but could we abstain from using profanity in the thread topic lines? I'm not sure it's totally necessary. I've been a part of the maggot community since 2002 and I've noticed that just recently it's increased. It's not acceptable.

First off, I don't particularly like to see it in the thread topic lines as I scroll through the current topics to see what's happening out there in maggotland.

Secondly, after posting the TR from Superior with pics I e-mailed the link to my parents and Mrs. Powstash so they could see the pics and the TR. My mom sent the link to all her co-workers (she work in an ER at a hospital) who likely quite often hear stories about all my adventures on skis. The comment I got back from her was that it's a cool community but that there was a lot of profanity.

This is a self-moderated community and I hope it stays that way. I don't really care if I get flamed for this, and I'm not leaving the community because I feel this way, I'm just asking that YOU maggots out there just cut back on the unnecessary - sh*t, f*ck, d*mn, *ss - garbage that shows up in the thread topic lines.

Thanks.
    Last edited by powstash; 03-08-2004 at 11:44 AM.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

Hmmmmmmmmmm - you can find all those words in the dictionary now. Like it or not they are a part or our language (freedom of speech and all). For what it's worth, good or bad - I hardly even notice it anymore.

Perhaps you should post your trip reports on Epic and forward those thread.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Question

On this page, the closest I see is "ass."

You made the call to email your mom a link to this page. For my part, I'm not about to censor myself because someone I may or may not have met, might or might not be offended by something I might or might not have said, and may or may not have meant sarcastically. Fuck that.

I think it looks kinda cheesy plus a lot of times I leave the computer on and TGR is there when my kids go to use the computer.

Not a big deal, it would just be nicer if the words weren't there.

It's kinda like driving in the car and one of "those" commercials comes on..."Dad, what's erectile dysfunction?"

No it isn't at all like that.

You know what goes on here, why would you leave it up so your parents, kids, coworkers etc could see it. I understand the concern, but think about it for a minute and you'll see how absurd this request is. This place is as cool as it is because anything goes.

I like KQ's suggestion. Too hot in here for you, take it to epicski.
    Last edited by Pinner; 03-08-2004 at 11:42 AM.

Originally posted by iceman

It's kinda like driving in the car and one of "those" commercials comes on..."Dad, what's erectile dysfunction?"
    All-time post
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Point heard... but ??damn??.

Originally posted by funkendrenchman
    Point heard... but ??damn??.
    Potty mouth. I'm telling.

Originally posted by KQ
    Hmmmmmmmmmm - you can find all those words in the dictionary now. Like it or not they are a part or our language (freedom of speech and all). For what it's worth, good or bad - I hardly even notice it anymore.

Perhaps you should post your trip reports on Epic and forward those thread.
    Yup, feel the same way.

I am not good at censoring myself either.

I grew up back east and it was just part of everyday language.

Sorry all.

Question

Iceman, what's erectile dysfunction?
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Originally posted by Pinner
    This place is as cool as it is because anything goes.

Agreed. That's why it shouldn't be such a big deal for me to express my thoughts about thread topic lines and the use of profanity. Anything goes (both ways), right?

-Epic-Ski is not for me-
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

Originally posted by Pinner
    No it isn't at all like that.

You know what goes on here, why would you leave it up so your parents, kids, coworkers etc could see it. I understand the concern, but think about it for a minute and you'll see how absurd this request is. This place is as cool as it is because anything goes.

I like KQ's suggestion. Too hot in here for you, take it to epicski.
    Feh, do want you want of course, it's just my "opinion" that I would "prefer" that the front page be somewhat clean. Like powstash, I'm not going to run away or anything, no matter how much some may wish that I would.

And I think my comparison was apt. I know they have commercials like that on the radio, but I don't think about it until it comes on the air. It's not a big deal, it's not like I'm going to stop listening to the radio, but it would be more pleasant if I didn't have to deal with it.

So put that in your fucking pipe and smoke it.

Wink

So how many ppl are just dying to post a profane subject line right now?

Seriously - it's like when you were a kid and your mom told you not to do something....just makes you itch to do it.

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Originally posted by powstash
    Agreed. That's why it shouldn't be such a big deal for me to express my thoughts about thread topic lines and the use of profanity.

Expression of thoughts and opinions I support.

But telling us you want us to refrain from using bad words because your mom finds them offensive comes off as quite a different thing.

At any rate, I didn't intend to be a jerk and I DO understand the point, and I now will stop talking and go outside and get me some sunshine.

I thought bad_roo had projectile dysfunction, no?

Will this discussion/torchfest degrade into the w/kids vs ~kids camps?
    Will Dick get down on Jane?
    Will Kerry's voting record, indistinguishable from DuhHubya's agenda be fodder for Karl Rove?
    Will there be more powder in the PNW this year?

On the one hand, I really feel like this is one of the last little grottos where I can be a pottymouth (pottyhand?). I'm really not hip to any suggestion of censorship.

On the other hand, I can respect the request to act with a degree of class. To that end, I'll try to remember.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Originally posted by Viva
    Iceman, what's erectile dysfunction?
    I dunno.

But did you know you can take a pill for "natural male enhancement"?

I try not to expose my ignorance, by keeping my f bombs to a minimum.
    but some times they come out. never in a subject line however, that would show my true empty -headedness

While I agree with you in principal, powstash, it still is the internet. People like being able to show off their extended vocabulary skills once in awhile.

For better or worse, I'll cast my lot with powstash on this one.

There have been times when I want to show my children some of the cool pics and video that the maggots so graciously choose to share with us; but, I have to send them out of the room before I dare open the TGR page for fear that they'll see nothing but a page saying any and all of George Carlin's seven words.

Granted, by fourth and fifth grade, these are words they have already been exposed to, but I'm in no hurry to add them to their young vocabularies.

Admittedly, the word fuck with all it's grammatical flexibility, has it's place in socierty; but, I would challenge you to say what you've got to say with the expletives deleted . . . . at least from the subject line.

I await your loving "fuck you's"
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Originally posted by iceman
    I dunno.

But did you know you can take a pill for "natural male enhancement"?
    I saw an add last nite for a pill that increases female orgasmic enhancement - at least I think that's what it was for.

I think I'm starting to see a pattern here.

And I will speak up for those of us using work time to check out the board.

Since my IT guy could care less, it is not a big deal for me. BUT, for others, it could be nice to have a cleaner front page. Although I have not seen a whole lot of profane language in the TOPIC, threads like "This just in, You Fucking Suck" are not the greatest to have up for others to see (like my president of the CO just walked by). Granted the thread was good and made you think. The topic name DID get my attention though.

I agree with all points made in here. I too come from the Potty mouth east and it is normal for me to say a lot of profanity (now I gotta change that as 2P junior recently yelled "Fuck" as told to me by his dad, mental picture is too funny as he is 3).

Censorship no, understanding for others yes, but to a point. It is kinda like the NSFW avatar thing, we all seem to have come to an understanding there.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

where might someone get those pills if someone happened to be curious about them?
    “Money has never been my god — never.” - The Chief

Originally posted by acostiga
    where might someone get those pills if someone happened to be curious about them?
    The same place your avatar gets his?
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Originally posted by acostiga
    In the 80's. They were called Quaaludes.

what a horrible collision of avatar, bad joke-making and ill-timed autosignature on my part. oops.
    “Money has never been my god — never.” - The Chief