Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Is Neil Diamond bad enough to saw a stero in 1/2?

O.K. to set the stage.

Its late season here in the really big sky country. And MLB has a patrol exchange with Grand Targhee, Andrew and Phil are up here from the Ghee patrol. Meanwhile, Big Sky has an exchange with Whistler/BC. Bart and Pete are down from the great white north eh.

Yesterday was one of those days. The nite before we had a fast moving cold front blow through and drop 5" of wet heavy with a good amount of graupel. The skiing on the Moonlight side was epic, the N. Summit was sublime. I mean complete hero skiing. You could just put em up on edge and tear. We went out for a quick a/c look and basically were able to open things with no ski cuts & no shots. The sun was out, it was a nice day and a good time was had by all.

About 1:30 I rode the Headwaters lift and hooked up with Eddie G. He is a good friend who patrols 2 days a week at Big Sky and 2 days a week at Bridger. He also had a large influence on opening up the area now called Headwaters. He pretty much laid the ground work for what we now ski.

At that time I also ran across the Whistler exchangers and they agreed that the Headwaters was worth a quick look/see. So we hike up to and skied Rock Creek. It was really nice snow but a bit rocky. As we were skiing, Pete from Whistler asked if another patroller was working today at MLB, they had roomed together at Las Lenas a few years before and were friends. Cat was working so he skied out and met up with us in the runout and hooked up with Pete and they caught up on life etc.

The end of the day and a few beers on our locker room deck and we were ready to make the drive out to home in Bozeman. The phone rings and it is one of my patrollers calling from the Big Sky locker room. She says a party is in full swing and we should drop by. I needed to hook Bart up with a comp pass for his son, so sure why not.

We roll in to the Big Sky locker room and a handle of Black Velvet is making the rounds along with a bottle of Sauza Hornitos and the beer fridge is a free for all. Having patrolled at Big Sky in another lifetime, it was fun to re-visit the old home. We imbibed. There is a group from Backcountry Magazine in the room as well, they have been doing a story about sidecountry and backcountry near and off of Lone Mountain, are good guys and its good to see them as well. We had gotten them some very good skiing over the last few days so it was fun to catch up with them as well.

Things begin to mellow out a tiny bit and some folks begin to drift out, about that time Neil Diamond begins crooning from the locker room stereo. One of the Big Sky patrollers, Todd declares "I fucking Hate Neil Diamond"! and grabs a Stihl chainsaw, it fires on the 4th pull and he revs it up to full throttle and proceeds to saw the stereo in two. As he is cutting he also hits the CD storage container and discs fly everywhere. Pictures will follow.

So in the end, is Neil Diamond really that bad?
    Last edited by Bunion 2020; 06-07-2022 at 05:16 PM.

Cracklin' Rosie!

Neil Diamond writes alot for other artists, too. He wrote Daydream Believer for the Monkees.
    Last edited by MadMatt; 03-27-2007 at 09:24 AM.
    Fighting leads to killing, and killing gets to warring. And that was damn near the death of us all.

Hell yes, Neil Diamond is that bad!

I had a boss who used to crank up Neil Diamond on big JBL speakers attached to his computer every Friday afternoon. How I wish I could have chainsawed that fucker! But alas, it would have been the proverbial career-limiting move.

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

I guess the dude didn't realize the stereo has an off switch. Hope he reimbursed for the damages. Classic Diamond is good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    O.K. to set the stage.
    Neil Diamond begins crooning from the locker room stereo. One of the Big Sky patrollers declares "I fucking Hate Neil Diamond"! and grabs a Stihl chainsaw, it fires on the 4th pull and he revs it up to full throttle and proceeds to saw the stereo in two. As he is cutting he also hits the CD storage container and discs fly everywhere. Pictures will follow.

Edited for pertinent information

As for Neil Diamond, just ask my 77 year old mother, she is a big fan. Need I say more?

[getting funny looks from coworkers as i laugh my ass off...] Classic shit. One of those winter patrollers, summer smokejumpers? Trying to picture the right PPE for chainsawing electronics, but then remembered that with both Hornitos and whiskey involved, all had turned into superheros with no need for stinkin PPE...

good to see that Eddie is still a bad bad influence...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Neil is alright on occasion... now Yanni on the other hand I would chainsaw the stereo in half
    undergoing a phase change.

http://awolf.me

I could do without the “Sweet Caroline, Red Red Wine” Neil, but “Solitary Man, Love on the Rocks” Neil is awesome.

I’ve even seen him in concert. No, I’m not geigh.

“Suddenly you find you're out there,……Walking in a storm”

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Edited for pertinent information

As for Neil Diamond, just ask my 77 year old mother, she is a big fan. Need I say more?
    Depends on how you feel about Mom....

The song in question was that Neil Classic, Song Sung Blue.

Tye, the sawyer was Todd A.

Neil's not that bad.

The guy with the chain saw is most likely a Metal head.
    "Hold my beer...Watch this!"

Neil Diamond is great.

Quote Originally Posted by freezorburn View Post
    Neil's not that bad.

The guy with the chain saw is most likely a Metal head.
    Or perhaps a meth head.
    Fighting leads to killing, and killing gets to warring. And that was damn near the death of us all.

Quote Originally Posted by yogachik View Post
    Neil Diamond is great.
    Agreed. Especially the older stuff.

"There are two kind of people in this world; those who love Neil Diamond and those who don't. My wife loves Neil Diamond"

With the 'What About Bob' aside, I love Neil Diamond. Fantastico!!

I am forever in bluejeans.
    let your tracks be lost in the dark and snow

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    He is Taliban.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I used to work with a bump monkey Tony Funk, ski Jane bumps like a mad man. Very guys guy kinda dude that could nail Diamond karaoke. Martin Zeller formerly of Gear Daddies also does a great set of Diamond covers. I think he's fine, he has that pot smoking song that is pretty funny.

Funny Neil Diamond story, one of my wife's employees was graduating from CUBoulder with high honors, seated on the stage whole nine. She walks out to her little tape stripe on the stage with her name on there and sits down. The stripe next to her has Diamond on it, has no clue. He comes out and sits next to her, she starts talking to him. Oh, my daughter is graduating today so they asked if I'd sing the National Anthem. "Oh, you're a singer?"

Your buddy must be sexually attracted to him and is using the chainsaw as an extension of his short penis to "saw" his feelings for Neil. Don't pass out around him because he will for sure try to fuck you in the butthole while singing Neil songs and crying.

Not that patrolling is ghey, I'm just saying this dude is obviously hugely gay like Manilow homo.

obviously the chiansawer has never watched the Last Waltz. I even thought his scene in Keeping Up with The Stiens was classic.
    off your knees Louie

Neil has plenty of great moments, Solitary Man being amazing for one. But Song Sung Blue is not one of them. Still the chainsaw might have been a bit of an overreaction, wouldn't the fast-forward button have sufficed?
    "Unfortunately, Meadows mgmt/marketing found out about the PR stash and published it on their trail map."

Neil Diamond is one of the greatest song writers and performers of all time.

There is a reason college chicks go nuts when "Sweet Caroline" comes on the juke box.

Super Diamond, THE Neil Diamond tribute band does a very good job of performing Neil as well. I've seen them in Austin and in Aspen. You can't make a living as a cover band, touring around the world, for over 10 years if the person you are covering isn't just a little bit awesome.

That being said, I'll admit that Neil isn't for everyone. But does he rock? Absolutely.

An ex-girlfriend of mine was Neil's mistress for a time. She was the corporate flight attendant for Circus-Circus private jet..

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    An ex-girlfriend of mine was Neil's mistress for a time. She was the corporate flight attendant for Circus-Circus private jet..
    wtf? that's just wow.

She must have an endless supply of stories from those days, although 'Circus-Circus' and 'private jet' seems like a bit of an oxymoron...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    is that why she is an ex?
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com