Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Subby WRX STI

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    No. All the manuals are 50/50, but you only get the adjustable center diff. on the STI.
    x 2 50/50 all the time they call it 'Symmetrical AWD'

I'd suggest it with the small wrx spoiler. A few guys around here have that setup, and it is pretty titsy.
    SLOWER TRAFFIC
    KEEP RIGHT
    http://shifter102.blogspot.com/

Spoiler all depends on what you want out of the car.

If you will be track-racing, the spoiler must stay on, as it is a functioning spoiler and does impact downforce.

But if it's just on the street, I'd swap to a WRX spoiler.

As for other cons... you'll see a hefty insurance premium on a STi as well as you'll be a target for the police. I can confidently say that all the local STi's and EVO's are driven hard, and they attract a lot of attention. And many have been wrecked by new drivers not used to the high power, and get in over their heads with how easy it is to drive an AWD car near the limits. But with any high powered AWD/RWD car, when you cross the limit, it can get ugly.

Personally, I'd be more apt to go for the Legacy 2.5 GT. Much more refined interior. Same motor, just slightly detuned. And much more stealth so you won't be attracting the police all the time. If gas mileage is a concern, check out the Evo. 2.0L I4. Bulletproof motor (4G63t - One of the legendary motors). With the smaller displacement you will see better fuel economy under normal driving, but that car will put out equal power tothe STi and is much easier to work on yourself as well.

Forester XT? It's supposed to have a detuned STi engine.
    That's what I have. I've been in STI's before and they are certainly quicker than my XT. However, my XT is damn quick, and I haven't done anything to it yet. It's a bigger car overall, and the suspension isn't tuned for straight on-road preformance, so in reality it would be like comparing apples to oranges. What I will say though is that my insurance is mighty cheap, and I get about 26 mpg. When I downshift from 5th to 3rd at 60mph or so on the highway it doesn't do anything but go . The biggest problem is that it still looks like a Forester.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinedad View Post
    Sorry -- I stand corrected. But with the exception of the STI manual, I think I'm right.
    Yeah but if you buy the STi in an automatic you're a fucktard so it's a moot point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    But where is he going to get 10 gallons of crisco, a real doll, 14 japanese virgins, a box of strawberrys, a bottle of old harpers, 12 and a half mangum condoms and some rubber gloves at this time of night?

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    I was tooting about that car back when everyone was still drooling over the 350z. Now that people are all on the bandwagon, it's time to find another car to be passionate about.
    Owned a G35 (RWD) for two years before moving to Seattle. I suppose that means I was an early adopter. Love the lines on the new one + AWD at 300+ hp would be sick. Of course, if I was single and younger I'd be tempted by an Evo or STI. I'm man enough to admit that...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Owned a G35 (RWD) for two years before moving to Seattle. I suppose that means I was an early adopter. Love the lines on the new one + AWD at 300+ hp would be sick. Of course, if I was single and younger I'd be tempted by an Evo or STI. I'm man enough to admit that...
    I drove my neighbors g35 last year....sooo much fun. definatley had more torque than my madre's bmw 330. an awd version would be sick, especially with the added party.
    i shred the gnar

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Of course, if I was single and younger I'd be tempted by an Evo or STI. I'm man enough to admit that...
    Really? I used to think suby's were all pretty ugly. Course I've mellowed since then and I think they're merely unattractive now.

Though great cars as far as specs and utility go. No idea about reliability.
    eating and sleeping is serious business

Quote Originally Posted by slowmonkey View Post
    Forester XT? It's supposed to have a detuned STi engine.
    I also have a forester lesbomobile XT. Great car. In other areas of the world, suby built a forester STi, with STi interior, motor, brakes, suspension and tranny. I want one of those!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    That's what I have. I've been in STI's before and they are certainly quicker than my XT. However, my XT is damn quick, and I haven't done anything to it yet. It's a bigger car overall, and the suspension isn't tuned for straight on-road preformance, so in reality it would be like comparing apples to oranges. What I will say though is that my insurance is mighty cheap, and I get about 26 mpg. When I downshift from 5th to 3rd at 60mph or so on the highway it doesn't do anything but go . The biggest problem is that it still looks like a Forester.
    I believe that the forester XT has the same 2.5L 4cl turbo as the Sti which is also the same engine in the 2007 and newer WRX's. Of course the turbo and other engine and exhaust mods are different from the Forester XT and WRX's, giving it a lot more performance.
    It's heartbreaking to see a chick who's too anorexic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    No. All the manuals are 50/50, but you only get the adjustable center diff. on the STI.
    Yes. Sorry Alpinedad. Tis the reason manual Subs are so popular amongst Teton posters who are Suby fans.

Also the STI spoiler is terrible imo. My boy racer days have been over for a good decade now, but if an sti were to ever fall into my hands the spoiler would come off asap. I marvel at how many I see with the spoiler still on. 90% of the sti's that I spot seem to have a 28 year old male behind the wheel, with three other twenty something males in the car so I guess it all adds up.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 03-28-2007 at 09:51 AM.

There you go.

Personally, I'd go for the stick regardless. (The primary reason I haven't replaced my Saab 9-5 Aero with a Legacy GT Wagon is that they only made it with a stick the first year.)

Quote Originally Posted by natty dread View Post
    lesbomobile ... tranny. I want one of those!!!
    They're called "transmen." Check craigslist.
    not counting days 2016-17

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman829 View Post
    Yeah but if you buy the STi in an automatic you're a fucktard so it's a moot point.
    Yeah, but it would be pretty rare.

Considering they don't make one.

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    As far as the wing goes - if you're gonna make a Subaru dealer's day by driving off with the most expensive vehicle on the lot, I'm sure you could talk them into swapping on a WRX decklid for you. If not, your baragining skills blow.

As much as I love Subaru's their paint really does suck HUGE DICK! My wife's '00 Outback paint is all cracked and looks liek shit, rest of the car is mint but the paint is screwed. I had a 99 and the paint was shit as well. Not sure if the new models have better paint?

Quote Originally Posted by LT View Post
    As much as I love Subaru's their paint really does suck HUGE DICK! My wife's '00 Outback paint is all cracked and looks liek shit, rest of the car is mint but the paint is screwed. I had a 99 and the paint was shit as well. Not sure if the new models have better paint?
    my '06 looks like it's been sand blasted (well, it has with wyo road kitty litter) Major chips. Silver / grey combo

I went to the dealer and picked up one of those smallish containers of detail paint. Every spring I go over the hood of my car and patch up all the little areas where the paint flew off after sand/gravel impacts. I need one of those bug guards I think.

The paint on the front of my Suby is no worse than previous cars that I've owned, but that isn't saying much of anything.

Yep, even slightly used 2006 models I have seen look like they were washed with a brilo pad. If I do get one, I will have the spoiler removed post haste and will put some sort of sound dampening device on the trubo blow-back valve. Maybe I am too optimistic but I think I could alter one to look semi-respectable. Maybe remove the spoiler, get some rims that don't look they were the brain child of Master P, remove the STI badges, etc.

They are just too fun to drive to give up on, IMHO.

If the BOV is a concern for you, then you may want to look into a stock WRX replacement. I am not familiar with the STi or WRX and wether or not the stock WRX will withstand the pressure the STi makes.

I think with your concerns regarding sounds and sights, a WRX with a simple software change is a better fit.

what about the bspec?
    i read a review on it in Road & Track and they said some pretty good things about it. sure, it doesnt look like your dream car from when you were 15 but it goes well at 250 horse.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBAR...QQcmdZViewItem

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    Just to let you know, shaving an STI decklid is a pain in the ass. There are like 14 or 16 bolts that hold that spoiler on, so after those are all welded up, you still need to repaint. Better off just getting an RS or WRX decklid with the small wing painting it.

In reference to the blow off valve (BOV). You dont need one. Unless you have an upgraded turbo and are putting down serious numbers the stock one is what you need. If you go with one before other serious mods you will run rich between shifts. Save the money and buy skis. If you really want to do something to the car, buy the COBB tuning access port to remap the ecu.

Ya, the scooby paint blows. As soon as I stop spending money on things like skis and beer i want to get the 3M rockblocker protection film

I was coming down from LCC past the entrance to BCC the other day when a large Soob posse merges onto Wasatch. There must've been at least 6 fixed-up WRXs/STIs and a couple EVOs. Then, as I'm approaching the group, I see a Skyline pulling up the rear. I pull up next to it to make sure I'm not hallucinating, and sure enough it's a gorgeous right-drive Nissan Skyline. I pull in behind it cause I wanna stare for a bit (I've only seen this car in video games and magazines, so I was pretty excited). They're all taking it pretty easy until we hit the interstate ramp, and they all gun it. The Skyline comes wide off the ramp and completely smokes the entire group. It was impressive.

Moral: I have no idea how/where you get a Skyline in the States, but I really want one.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Moral: I have no idea how/where you get a Skyline in the States, but I really want one.
    Pay $30-$40K for a used car that was likely driven hard previously.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAirSkier1580 View Post
    Pay $30-$40K for a used car that was likely driven hard previously.
    Yeah, that was a rhetorical statement. New ones can be imported relatively easily and legally. Though, you're right about paying out the ass.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.