Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by climbhoser View Post
    Even if wrong I prefer the Humes, the Kants, the Heideggers, the Merleau-Pontys of the world who use skepticism as a tool to build the scaffolding and framing of a different ontology. It's less mental-stroking, more REAL work, less ego play... And then a handful of them, Hume for example, accept defeat and order a pint
    Heidegger...now we're getting somewhere. But, I don't think he's as different from Nietzsche as you may have implied. He was one of the handful who carried on Nietzsche's project. Some of my favourites from Heidegger's Why Poets:

“We, like all creatures, are beings only by being risked in the risk of being.”

"The age is desolate not only because God is dead but also because mortals scarcely know or are capable even of their own mortality. Mortals are still not in the possession of their essence. Death withdraws into the enigmatic. The mystery of suffering is covered over. No one is learning to love. But mortals are. They are so long as there is language. Song still lingers over their desolate land. The singer’s words stay on the track of the sacred."

Heidegger speaking of Holderlin and Rilke:
    “Those who risk more are the poets, but poets whose song turns our defenselessness into the open. Because they reverse the departure against the open and inwardly remember its unwholeness [Heil-loses] into the integral [heile] whole, these poets sing the integral in disintegration [im Unheilen das Heile]."

Quote Originally Posted by David Witherspoon View Post
    We agree. So all I can do is add.
    Hume is worth reading and re-reading. Kant ... probably not even the reading. Not because he couldn't spell out or use his own ideas halfway decently - many suffered from that fault - but he used too damn many words to obscure those ideas. The Cliff notes are better.
    Nietzsche ... well, I recently dug him up for another look, and was beginning to think maybe I had wrongly maligned him (along lines similar to yours) ... but then ... nah, I think I had it about right.
    Yes, he was a passionate man, a man who loved words and imagery. He was also a very egotistical man, who thought himself very important. As a good friend says, "your way is not the only way, but simply another."

I wrongly lumped Heidegger...was thinking Hegel in my mind and the name spilled out. Heidegger was most definitely a continental and a true idealist. Hegel bridged the gap.

Nontheless, they're all nuts. Clinging to something which I know nothing of. All I can think about these days is f00kin'.