Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Verbier Ride Qualifier Results?

Does anyone know the big mountain qualifer round results from today?

I know nothing. And if the event is being run the same way as in previous years I would expect to see something on their website around July.

They're letting 10 skiers compete in this Verbier contest for the first time in 9 years, which will be more exciting. I think it's the ten top IFSA guys in current World Tour standings.

Actually, I'd really like to hear about the Ride results as well.
    Turns out that my brother's girl's best pal is in it, Kate Olsen #13 in the line-up, in her first comp ever, only a few years after switching from alpine to tele!

Very psyched. Met her and her mang over Xmas while hanging with my brother and his lady. Kate's a ripper, super cool, and hot to boot! Sorry fellahs, serious (and cool) boyfriend; no soup for you. But still, one more mad cool rippin skiergirl in the world is a good thing, yes?

Go Kate, git sum!
    Last edited by Yossarian; 03-07-2004 at 11:07 AM.
    Thrutchworthy Production Services

Originally posted by slippy
    They're letting 10 skiers compete in this Verbier contest for the first time in 9 years, which will be more exciting. I think it's the ten top IFSA guys in current World Tour standings.
    That's cool news. It's a pretty gnar mountain for any kind of contest, expecially if there isn't too much snow on it.

Did anyone else notice a familiar name at the bottom of the pr-qualified riders list? Hope it went/goes well.

So...
    Just got off of the super long distance phone and here is the deal with the comp thus far. The day began with low visibility and didnt start quite on time. All but 10 of the men got to run the qualifer, however, no women got to run at all during the day. They all just stood up on the ridge for five hours freezing their asses off. The ladies did get to ski the face on the way down at the end of the day, which is worth something i guess. Standing around pumping stale adrenalin for five hours has to suck though. Kate is well, but exhausted after all the build-up and then not getting to compete today. Show a little support for the only USA woman to compete in this year's big mtn Ride.
    Peace

Originally posted by Mulletizer
    That's cool news. It's a pretty gnar mountain for any kind of contest, expecially if there isn't too much snow on it.
    that contest looks like huge burl. huuuuuge.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Did anyone else notice a familiar name at the bottom of the pr-qualified riders list? Hope it went/goes well.
    That's Fingle for those of you who couldn't be bothered to check it out...

Very nice I'm not going due to lack of the organization mailing me back, ever..

I will however be at the Xtreme Verbier next in two weeks. Any other maggots present? I'm looking at driving down the road towards St. Anton (or wherever the snow is) afterwards.

Originally posted by AH
    I'm not going due to lack of the organization mailing me back, ever..
    No surprise. The guy who runs it is a total shyster - purely self-interested (he claims to be promoting the progression of skiing - truth is he would jump on any bandwagon to make a buck for himself) and particularly untrustworthy. I wouldn't trust him an inch. One of my friends was meant to be covering the event for a cable news channel last winter and was promised accommodation by the organiser. He travelled a long way, arrived and the guy claimed he had never heard of him (despite having corresponded with him personally) and told him to find a hotel. Nice...

rip it up phil! i thought you guys were referring to treadway before you pointed out phil.

and good luck to Kate! woo hoo!
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

No surprise. The guy who runs it is a total shyster - purely self-interested (he claims to be promoting the progression of skiing - truth is he would jump on any bandwagon to make a buck for himself) and particularly untrustworthy. I wouldn't trust him an inch. One of my friends was meant to be covering the event for a cable news channel last winter and was promised accommodation by the organiser. He travelled a long way, arrived and the guy claimed he had never heard of him (despite having corresponded with him personally) and told him to find a hotel. Nice...
    Good to know this, you know anything about the organization of the Xtreme Verbier? Last thing I heard from the organizers is that they had great dificulty finding hotels for media..

u no, the bec de rosse is a lot like east vail.

except that the snow and riders are kinda different.

There was another day lost to the weather today. None of the women and 10 of the men still have yet to qualify. Also heard that if qualifying runs can not be made tomorrow that the competition will be canned. That is a huge loss for the Euro IFSA tour since their last comp was cancelled as well.

Originally posted by Ted Stryker
    u no, the bec de rosse is a lot like east vail.

except that the snow and riders are kinda different.
    East Vail:
    http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic18117.jpg

Bec Des Rosses:
    http://www.xtremeverbier.com/images/...emountain1.jpg
    http://www.xtremeverbier.com/images/...emountain2.jpg

Now I haven't skied East Vail but those mountains look pretty funckin' different to me. Idiot.

Now I haven't skied East Vail but those mountains look pretty funckin' different to me. Idiot.
    Geez dude, its all about the pillow drops. The pillow drops are sick in both those areas.

Originally posted by FigureEleven
    There was another day lost to the weather today. None of the women and 10 of the men still have yet to qualify. Also heard that if qualifying runs can not be made tomorrow that the competition will be canned. That is a huge loss for the Euro IFSA tour since their last comp was cancelled as well.
    That is so suck!
    Thrutchworthy Production Services

Verbier Ride Results

"No surprise. The guy who runs it is a total shyster - purely self-interested (he claims to be promoting the progression of skiing - truth is he would jump on any bandwagon to make a buck for himself) and particularly untrustworthy. I wouldn't trust him an inch. One of my friends was meant to be covering the event for a cable news channel last winter and was promised accommodation by the organiser. He travelled a long way, arrived and the guy claimed he had never heard of him (despite having corresponded with him personally) and told him to find a hotel. Nice..."

If the friend you were talking about was Nacho Ferrer-Catena, then just how badly he was treated might be demonstrated by the fact that he was sitting next to me at the judging table this year as we compared notes on the runs for our reports on the event.

Last year there was considerable confusion on the arrivals/registration day and Nacho just bore the brunt of some miscommunication. Once he spoke to me, we tried to sort it out and I actually offered him accommodation with me, but in the end we found him and his girlfirend some.

Since that event Nacho has been a firm friend of mine and it was great to share a few turns and banter with him at this year's event.

The problem for the Verbier Ride is not trying to make a quick buck, it's trying not to lose a large buck. Due to difficulty in obtaining sponsorship for these kind of events, the event has struggled just to put on the various competitions, let alone provide desired levels of the media and rider support. After explanation most of the riders and the press are very supportive of the event (eg Nacho's return this year).

So before you mouth off like that about the event, how about finding out a little bit more about the people behind it and the effort put into the staging of it. Or if you want to find out what it's like on the other side of the fence, organise your own event (& try to convince a stuck-up resort like Verbier that they really want to stage it in the first place, raise enough sponsorship to arrange €10000 prize money, pay all the staff for their efforts, lay on free chiropractic care for riders, film the event and get it broadcast). Once you've done that, I'll be happy to listen to your criticisms of the Verbier Ride organisation.

Just so you know, the Big Mountain comp was particularly impressive this year. Sure some snow fell and Mont Gele is an awesome slope, but most of the credit goes to the riders for skiing so intelligently and skilfully in really difficult conditions. The pitch was definitely sketchy, with far too many rocks just below the surface for comfort (Xavier Troubat's run was ruined by snagging on his first turn), snow was sluffing heavily and was changeable in places. However, if you watch Brendan Noel-Maclean's run on the headcam (on the Verbier Ride website), you'll see just how amazing the riders performed. Or check out the lasses winner, Martha Burley dropping a 25-footer on Tele's. She's a mate of mine, so I was super-stoked for her too win.

Anyway, just wanted to make the point that these events are really tough to put on and very few of them make any money (especially without major sponsorship). If some appear disorganised, it's because it tends to be a bunch of freeskiers trying to do their best rather than RedBull's professional event-organising team. Bear that in mind and be a little understanding.

And, if you want a neutral perspective, ask Nacho - he'll be back again next year for sure (in fact, I'm trying to get him made a judge).

I'm the guy who writes up the events by the way. I also write freelance for other mag's and websites. And just FYI, I have absolutley no financial interest in the event: in fact like a number of people I didn't even get paid for my work on it this year. Sometimes we just do stuff for the love of the sport!

So, please, consider that before your next cynical outburst, Mulletizer!

Thanks for reading
    Phil Martin
    Burn More Oil!

Global warming means better skiing for Scotland

Oh yeah - forgot to mention. All the results, pics and video footage are up on the site. You just have to click on the results button on the home page.

Not sure if you should post links here, but there is an insert link button, so I'll chuck it in:

www.verbierride.com

The Verbier Extreme is on this coming weekend and having been there for it last winter, I can say it is pretty much the most awesome freeride event I've ever seen (even topping Les Arcs World Tour Finals last year). The addition of 10skiers this year should just add to the fun.

Just to give you some idea - the very top of the slope has a short section at about 60degrees. Much of the pitch is 50 or over and it doesn't get below 45 till the run out.

Steve Klassen's run last year was so jaw-droppingly good, that skiers, boarders and sunday afternoon Genevan sun-worshippers all went insane as he rode through the finish. And he's 38! Gives me hope.

I can't be there this year unfortunately, but can't wait to see the footage. Top camera-bloke, Guido Perrini, is doing most of it again, so should be awesome.

Cheers
    Phil
    Burn More Oil!

Re: Verbier Ride Results

Originally posted by FreeSkiWriter
    [U]
    So before you mouth off like that about the event, how about finding out a little bit more about the people behind it and the effort put into the staging of it. Or if you want to find out what it's like on the other side of the fence, organise your own event (& try to convince a stuck-up resort like Verbier that they really want to stage it in the first place, raise enough sponsorship to arrange €10000 prize money, pay all the staff for their efforts, lay on free chiropractic care for riders, film the event and get it broadcast). Once you've done that, I'll be happy to listen to your criticisms of the Verbier Ride organisation.

Phil Martin
    Chill a lil, dude.
    There's been events like this that organizers have banked a bundle on. I personally would defend a rider who got hosed over the organizers who are in a business venture. Riders make shit. Business people, if they are business people, take calculated risks on bruising their bank accounts. Never seen an organizer get evac'd cause he missed a leap at making money. I've organized an event and walked when the resort got greedy to the point the riders would suffer.

Hey Phil, thanks for taking the time to write all that info. I enjoyed reading your reports on the Ride site. Glad to hear that things worked out better for Nacho this year. I can agree about the Extreme being kind of extreme - skied one of the less-gnarly lines on the mountain a few years ago.

As for my comments about the people who organise the Ride - they were about one guy in particular. Apologies to anyone else who has worked hard at running the event who might have felt they were directed at them.

BTW I am not into randomly slandering people on the internet. Believe me when I say that those comments were considered.
    Last edited by Mulletizer; 03-16-2004 at 04:46 PM.

Fair call - accept your comments!

Nacho's a top lad, so, if you're a mate of his, Mulletizer, then it's all cool with me.

Glad you've had a go on the Bec des Rosses. It's one of THOSE slopes - a 'must-do-one-day' run. The hike, itself, is tough enough. On a sidebar, one of my fav things about it is that from about the beginning of March till the Extreme takes place, they employ an old boy from town to sit at the bottom of the climb and stop anybody going up there and ruining the snow - that's all he does 8-hours a day for 3 weeks! Brilliant!

Won't go into a debate on the individual I presume you're meaning, except to say that I genuinely don't think he's as self-serving as you may reckon [disorganised and chaotic - yes, i'll agree]. But accept that you're entitled to your opinions on that, so will leave it there.

Anyway, let's just hope the heatwave this week doesn't jeopardise the snow for the Extreme!

Mr Splat,
    Cheers for your reply and I'm chilled - but to my mind the original post was pretty extreme (tho Mulletizer's response has dealt with that).

Also, I'm happy you know some organisers who've made a packet. 'Cos I know a couple who've made a loss. Sponsorship's the main reason for profit or not and congrat's to those who've got it.

But here's something for you (and me) to remember - not all events are laid on by 'Big Business' people to make money. Many (probably most) are laid on by riders, who just want to bring a comp to their hill. The more efficient and better-organised manage to put on the best events, but are still riders. Even those who manage to make money from it (a v limited few) are for the most part just riders indulging their passion. And they try to have their fellow riders' interests at heart - for example, Dino Raffaiult, organiser of the Les Arcs WTF, event cancelled 10days before the event was due to take place and therefore lost all the time, money and effort involved in the set-up. His reason, the slope was too sketchy for it to do justice to the skiing abilities of the World Tour guys. A friend of mine there said there was just about enough snow for it to go ahead, but Dino didn't want to risk the riders, so cancelled. That's the mindset of most of the guys: riders first - profit second!

In Red Bull's case it's more Footage first, Riders second - but then they throw enough money at the whole thing to keep the riders very happy (or at least so drunk on Red Bull and Vodka, they wouldn't know if they were unhappy anyway!).

This isn't an angry response - it's just to say, most events are organised and run by people very similar in mindset and focus to the riders themselves. They're not trying to rip people off. If they had the money, they'd help the riders more. [Anyway rider remuneration is a whole 'nother issue - it's just like most sports: there's a happy few raking it in and a vast majority struggling away purely for the love of it (and I'm with them)].

I get to see the operations of events from the inside as a journo and occasionally from the outside as an amateur competitor. So I while I know the frustrations of poor organisation and am happy to criticise when it happens, I also recognise that the guys in charge almost always have the right intentions and as much as anything want the riders to have the best event possible.

Anyway my opinion is that we need more professional event organisers. The better laid-on the event, the better the coverage tends to be, the more exposure the riders get, the more the sponsors are excited, the more they invest in the sport, the more filters down to grass roots level and the more kids are attracted to the sport, push it further still and start the whole cycle again. That way there's more money sloshing round the freeskiing pot for riders, organisers ... ... and JOURNALISTS!

Cheers
    Phil
    Burn More Oil!

Thanx, Phil. Your response was well-measure, objective, and informative. Ten years ago, I took the event concept to Kirkwood. I was working with Gina Kroft and Telluride patrol to recreate what they established to maintain standards for events here in the US. I had a fair amount of money set aside and was willing to lose a good part of it to see the sport progress. The Telluride crew was gracious enough to pass every bit of organizational documentation related to their event along to me.

I was going to take out a full page ad in Powder for the event. I submitted a complete proposal modeled after the Telluride event to Kirkwood well in advance of the event date to allow time to line up sponsors. Resort management dragged their feet on saying yes for months, only to finally do so after the ad submission date passed and too late to get sponsors. This started digging into the prize money I had set aside for the athletes. Then, I was informed that Kirkwood's GM wanted a half hour on ESPN. When I informed them their lack of punctuality had already cost a well-placed ad and sponsors-and that a half hour on ESPN would cost $25K they'd have to pony up- they had the audacity to say that I'd have to pay for ESPN if I wanted to do the contest. Needless to say, that would have left nothing for the athletes, so I told them......well, you can guess.

They had the cojones to ask me to do it the next year and I told them I had a policy to not go back to trouble twice. They found someone else, who, according to a somewhat reliable rumormill, lined up a sizable contribution from a mega-sponsor, doled out a pittance to riders, and failed to ever get a lick of footage produced. In other words, he banked big and walked with the booty, doing little for riders and less for the sport.

I'm glad the Kirkwood event has endured, 'cause it's all about the sport and those who ride. Unfortunately, like most things involving money, greed, inexperience, incompetence, and attitude have reared their ugly heads enough to make doing one of these events a difficult undertaking. Weather and snow conditions are another story. But to reiterate what I said above, an organizer worth working with had better understand the risk and be ready to accept potential losses due to the unforeseen. Because the riders are nowhere near having the financial resources to endure getting hosed. And to those of us devoted to the progression of the sport, putting a hurt on those who risk their necks is unforgivable

OUCH! That's gotta piss you off a lot.

I was actually out in Tahoe for a winter in 99 and met the Marketing guys at Kirkwood, who were amped to have the Freeride contest by then (I even got to watch it - my first one!). Sounds like you were victim of narrow-sightedness on their part. [And that happens all the time here in Europe].

There is an event over here that has had the same reputation for lining the organisers back pockets and fleecing everybody else. In fact it was the largest event of its kind (tho didn't include Big Mountain). It's actually collapsed this year, but allegedly netted the original organisers a tidy sum. I don't know enough to state categorically one way or the other, but there's some bad feeling amongst some of people involved.

I agree that just by undertaking these events, there's a certain level of responsibility that attaches to the organisers and primary within that should be taking care of the riders. I also accept that this can sometimes be forgotten. Your points are well made!

Still, I prefer to remember events where it is all a lot more collaberative between organisers and riders. Particularly, events like the Gilles Voirol Classic, where the riders gather together to celebrate the memory of a friend through a day's riding. That's when you get the chance to remind yourself what it's all about.

Still The World Ski and Snowboard Festival in Whistler remains the best organised, most impressive event I've ever been to - so there's no reason why big money and a good vibe can't go hand in hand.

Anyway update on Verbier Extreme - slope is in great nick, but weather has closed in, so the comp has been postponed till sometime next week (which means I might even be able to get across to see it - result!!!)

Good to discuss these things. I still believe most organisers are well-meaning, but very much agree ego, avarice and incompetence can all get in the way. Which is why in Europe I reckon we need a more professional approach to event management - cos that's how best to protect the riders. But we'll see ... ... it all depends on how much mainstream media interest in Big Mountain, New School, etc we can generate over here.

I want to get back to Kirkwood and Tahoe sometime - I loved that deep, damp, fluffy powder. You could fall off anything and not worry about it!!

Cheers
    Phil
    Burn More Oil!