Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Collector Skis?

Collector Skis?

Are there modern skis that hold some value as a collectable? Some used skis get a premium because they are hard to find and fill a void that today's skis dont cover (w105s, g4 - probably many others). But are there also skis that are so important and sweet that you have to have them but may not even ski? Also, would anyone here regard themselves to be a collector of skis? I mean, at some point did you fill your quiver to the point where to buy anything else would mean you are either overlapping, buying something completely funky, or fulfilling a collector type of impulse?

In order to collect skis I would have to collect money first. Money is my favorite collectible.

By the time most people fill their quiver to the point of overlap it is usually time to upgrade some of the older skis in their quiver. I don't buy skis to hang them on my wall.
    "Freeride is just an attitude, to go out in the mountains with no rules and do whatever feels sweet to you at the time." -Chris Davenport

Look through the quiver pic rerun thread, that should answer some of your questions.

Some maggots have ridiculous collections. It's a sickness.

I wish I could catch it.

I've been saving all my vintage long straight skis for their come back. Yes in less than 2 years shape skis will be OUT. Fat skis will be trash and straight skis will rule the mountain again.
    I don't think my back would like 210cm skis anymore.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

I'd like to get my hands on a pair of K2 Kent Kreitlers. I"ve only ever seen two pairs of them.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Last pair I saw was $1300. There's always Bogner and Wally skis if the Rossi's are too pedestrian. Or maybe Authiers. Kreitlers were fairly common and better looking than the Morrison
    Elvis has left the building

I'll admit it...I have a pair of Head XR-1 Comps circa early 70s that I just cannot put into the adirondak chair pile. Intersting ski from materials/engineering perspective.

jerr is offline Underwater trapeze artist
    Orange olin twin tips. From the 70's or 80's? A friend has a pair for collections sake.
    Nine out of ten Jeremy's prefer a warm jacket to a warm day

Quote Originally Posted by charlesj View Post
    I'll admit it...I have a pair of Head XR-1 Comps circa early 70s that I just cannot put into the adirondak chair pile. Intersting ski from materials/engineering perspective.

Yeah, I skied the Durafiber XR-2's in 75-77. I finally snapped the tip off and you could really see the hollow core.

I have three pair of older skis that I'll probably always keep. K2 Extremes with the multi-colored neon bases, some early 80s Phoenix Wilderness tele powder skis and some Norwegian wood xc skis from the 70s. Skied and loved them all - in fact I expect to ski each of them some more.

Gotta take out the Extremes for some spring skiing - they still rock.

Quote Originally Posted by jerr View Post
    Orange olin twin tips. From the 70's or 80's? A friend has a pair for collections sake.
    I think those are from the 70s. My brother has got a pair in our garage. They've got some really sketchy looking salomon bindings on them. lol

i have a pair of the original winter heats in my parents garage. i dont think they are collectable but i dig um. they havent seen snow in a long time 20-30 yrs i guess, maybe its time to take them out.

I've seen Jerry Launchers go for way more than they're worth
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

yeah i'll second the extremes... i wish i knew what i did with the few pairs i had
    i went all the way to st anton and all i got was this lousy signature

Quote Originally Posted by nexus View Post
    yeah i'll second the extremes... i wish i knew what i did with the few pairs i had
    I got a pair off CL last year with mint 957s on them. Never have skied on them, but when I was in 6th grade I lusted after these skis. Now I got them.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Bob Burn's The Ski seem to have a cult collectors following. I'd also add Explosivs to your list of used skis earning a premium on resale--seems like used pairs are ~$100 more this year than they were this time last year.

Personally, I will never sell my Arno Adams Pro Models. They rip, and they're PUR-T. I'd also like to get a pair of Jerry Launchers in good shape to hang on the wall next to the Arnos when I finally quit cube life and open my bar.

jerr is offline Underwater trapeze artist
    I definitely like the look of the Arno's. Nice!
    Nine out of ten Jeremy's prefer a warm jacket to a warm day

Quote Originally Posted by booner View Post
    I've seen Jerry Launchers go for way more than they're worth
    mine were free
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

ostness dragons. every once in a while you see a pair go on ebay. wizard explosives are the shit too.
    "Wise man say forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza." - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by connersw View Post
    Bob Burn's The Ski seem to have a cult collectors following..
    I have a couple of pair myself. Greatful Dead skis are also collectible but K2 Mickey mouse skis are worth nothing.
    Click. Point. Chute.

200 cm salomon AK rockets,

have seen mint pairs go for $300

heck I bought a pair of the 190 for $300 new

don't forget the Rainier Beer skis! oh, and the PBR goggles by scott are the ultimate colectors item.
    "Wise man say forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza." - Michelangelo

I have to throw the blue buddha sanouks on the list too. There is something about the promise a ski like that holds for truly epic days that makes it hard to resist. I think that was the first year of production of the sanouk and was produced with that topsheet for a limited run (not sure about that - I just read that elsewhere on TGR).

Collector's skis, huh???
    Heard there's pair on their way to you tomorrow, dood.