Question Silver Mountain ?

I'm going to find myself in Coeur d'Alene with a day to kill in late March. At the gym I picked up a copy of Ski magazine to read while I was on the bike (what can I say someone beat me to Cosmo) and they had an article about Silver being an undiscovered gem.

I know better than to put any faith in Ski (a fine condo guide for the two Escalade family) so I thought I'd see if any PNW mag/minions had any opinions on Silver.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

I had a damn fine MTB ride there one day. Looks like they have some decent terrain, but everything looks steep when your grinding up it. I've heard good and bad so I would be interested to hear from someone that skis there also. A couple of year ago they were going to yank the gondola for lack of payment.

You might be better of at Shweitzer.

Thanks Shredhead. That gondola to the of the mountain thing seems a little funky but I guess it's running this year ok.

I've had a couple of good days at schweitzer on a previous N. Idaho trip.

I've got to be in CdA day before and day after skiing so I'm just being a candy ass about driving, other wise I think I'd keep going up to Red Mtn.

Thumbs up

We caught it good last March: http://www.skistreak.com/2003/summit/silver.html
    I'd recommend it, and I'll be back someday.

Nice Pics on your site endless. Thanks. The stoke meter is going up for this trip.

When you gonna be in town? I've got an open invitation to anyone coming in. I can show you around but I don't know if there will be any freshie's but I can still show you around.

It's looking like Wed. Mar.24 will be my day to get some when I'm out there. Be great to have a local maggot show me where it's at if it works out. First six beers are on me. Then I got to put my sorry old ass down so I can get ready for the next days meetings.

Awww shite. I would love to be able to get up there that day. Its my b-day. I think I have to be in the office that day though. PM me and I'll give you my phone #. We could at least do drinks that night in CDA or something. I can also give you some advice where to find good stuff if there's any to be had.

Obstruction-
    Definately check it out. It's a good little hill. There's always stashes to be found.

1080 sorry I never caught up with you. Crazy week. I'll be back up a week from Sunday. I'll give you a call at some point...

SG- no worries. I know what its like to be home for a while. We're always swamped when we go to t-town. Lots of friends to see, lots of beer to drink. No problemo. Call when back in town.

Definately goods to be had at Silver. I had a pass there for 2 seasons while I was going to college.

off Chair 2:
    Go straight off the lift to the left, then cross the 2 cat tracks and through the gate. Puts you into the trees, and some goods will be had. Make sure you catch the traverse back to Sunrise (cat road back to chair 2) or yer gonna be hiking out.....or skiing down the power line run down to Kellogg.

Steep and Deep is the best bump run i've ever skied.

North Side Glades.....good terrain, very good tree skiing. Some of the steepest stuff there.

Chair 4:
    Go straight to Wardner Peak.
    Hike up it.
    Go anywhere
    get the goods.

Trees between Morning Star and Meadows rock. If they aren't too tight for you.

Hope that helps.
    Shorter mountain than Schweitzer, but it's less crowded, less wind hammered, and you don't get vertigo from the rediculously thick fog at the top of Schweitzer. In general the snow is usually way better than Schweitzer.

Discount tickets I think are still available at Roseaurs Grocery Stores (I think there's one in Kellogg) .....there's plenty of them in Coeur d'Alene.

Also. Go to Red Mt. Not too far away, and it rules!
    49 Degrees North has some great tree skiing, but is kind of a ghetto operation.

I'd drive a hour north to Schweitzer. Silver is fun but the Mountain on the Lake has it beat. From CDA, Fernie is about 3 hours nort.

Schweitzer's great if you like pnw fog (you can't see the chair in front of you), vertigo for the 1st 300' of your run, and absolutely wind hammered snow. Check the snow ghosts (rhime ice covered trees).....in their photos. A good idea of how wind hammered that place is. I've had a pass at Schweitzer before. Not worth the $250 I paid as a college student.

If you have the time, go to Fernie, or to Red. Well worth it.

Talking

Lot of great input thanks to all.

Went to Schweitzer at X-mas on another N. Idaho trip. First vist there and I think I caught it just right. Got one Bluebird day after a respectable snowfall and the two other days were cold with some snowfall and fog (better visibility in the back bowl it seems). All things being equal I thought it was a pretty decent mountain - limited crowds, decent terrain and cool people. The access road goes goes ever on though! (obscure 70's album reference)

Fernie sounds intriguing but 3 hrs? Even though I'll be driving the perfect vehicle for high speed hijinx (a rental) that seems a little optimistic looking at the map.

Proximity is making Silver look like the place though.

Midget I'll print out the crib sheet you provided.

(1080 I'll drop you a PM the week before I head out.)