Thread: Helmet Cam Woes

Helmet Cam Woes

So I particpated in MonkeyMan's helmet cam group buy last year:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ghlight=helmet

The only digital camera I had was an old Hi8 so I was stoked to look for a miniDV to use with the helmet cam. After looking for a while I was bummed to discover that not very many cameras offer the analog video input that the camera requires. I finally found the Canon Elura 100 had one and quickly snapped it up.

That was last summer. I didn't put it all together until December (dumbass) when went to Colorado. To my dismay, after scrupulously following all the directions on both devices, the thing wasn't working. I came to find out, the Elura analog video input only works for an incoming video signal from another recording device (like a VCR or another camera) and that the signal from an external lens like the helmet cam won't work.

Now I have a $400 camera that I wouldn't have selected but for the analog video input. I've got to dump that one and get one that works.

So, heads up if you buy one of these. Anybody have any good experience with a particular model? Thanks.
    I should want to cook him a simple meal, but I shouldn't want to cut into him, to tear the flesh, to wear the flesh, to be born unto new worlds where his flesh becomes my key.

He says it works
    http://www.sportzshot.com/compatibility.php

that sucks if it doesn't. Makes you wonder what will work right.
    Hell, he even gives you a page number (88) for the user manual.
    Doesn't the sportshotz camera produce a regular analog video signal like a VCR??
    . . .

Apparently not. I'm on a slow internet connection right now, or I'd pull the manual. The manual specifies that it can only take an analog video from another player. I don't understand enough to know how they are different. I just know the damn thing doesn't work!
    I should want to cook him a simple meal, but I shouldn't want to cut into him, to tear the flesh, to wear the flesh, to be born unto new worlds where his flesh becomes my key.

Hey Brocktoon,
    The Canon Elura 100 will work just fine. Core Shot is correct about the signal... same as your VCR or TV. The camcorder doesn't know the difference. If you need help give us a call.

But not right now because I'm watching 'Are you smarter than a 5th grader?'.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyMan View Post
    Hey Brocktoon,
    The Canon Elura 100 will work just fine. Core Shot is correct about the signal... same as your VCR or TV. The camcorder doesn't know the difference. If you need help give us a call.

But not right now because I'm watching 'Are you smarter than a 5th grader?'.
    Really? Stoked. It's always bittersweet to find out the problem is user error. Glad I didn't blow $400, though. Expect a call!

The Canon Elura 100 IS compatible with the SprotzShot helmet cam. If you need proof go here http://youtube.com/profile?user=GheePup and watch. Page 86 will help you more than page 88. If you need more help feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by GheePup; 03-16-2007 at 01:04 PM.
    If you had a nickel for every nickel he has, you would have a lot of fuckin' nickels!