Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Avalanche Fatality in the Tetons

Sad note. On a day when the forecast was calling for low(but not no) hazard, a backcountry skier was killed in Darby Canyon on the west slope of the Tetons.

The skier was from Steamboat, out with his brother, a Teton Valley local.

My heart goes out to family, friends, fiance and the pooch.

Best info is at http://www.tetonat.com/ and at the Bridger Teton avalanche forecast.

vibe to family, truely sucks, everyone be careful outthere!
    livin the dream

so sad...++++++++++++vibes to family and friends, everyone be careful!!!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

++++++++++++++++++++
    oh my who was it anyone have any info no news in steamboat yet

JH News and Guide just put an article up on the accident:
    http://www.jacksonholenewsandguide.c...hp?art_id=1529http://www.jacksonholenewsandguide.c...hp?art_id=1529

2 skiers caught, 1 killed in slide

print page | send as email | email editor

By Angus M. Thuermer Jr.
    March 12, 2007

An avalanche in Darby Canyon on the west slope of the Tetons killed a skier visiting from Colorado on Saturday when it swept him and his brother more than 1,000 feet, officials reported.

The slide broke about 5 p.m. near 10,000 feet on the main shelf of the canyon near the Wind Cave, killing Paul Maniaci, who was reportedly in his mid-20s, according to the Teton County Sheriff’s Office, Teton County coroner and the Bridger-Teton National Forest Avalanche Center. Maniaci’s brother, Pete, a resident of Teton County, Idaho, also was carried by the slide but survived.

Sgt. Kelly Wells, who investigated the incident for the sheriff’s office, gave the following account of the incident, which occurred in a Wyoming canyon most easily reached from Idaho.

The brothers were working their way to the summit of a southwest-facing slope near the Wind Cave when they entered a gully near the top. Pete Maniaci, in the lead, felt the snow settle. It then fractured approximately 10 yards above him.

His brother was 20 yards below and the slide took them both down a ravine. The avalanche center reported the slide ran 1,500 feet.

When the avalanche stopped, Pete Maniaci was able to free himself from the snow. He immediately skied down to more debris and began searching for his brother using an avalanche transceiver.

A cell phone call caused interference with the transceiver but allowed him to tell the caller, his girlfriend, of the incident. She relayed the information to the Teton County Sheriff’s Office, which received a report at 5:01 p.m.

Pete Maniaci shut off his cell phone, continued his search and located his brother about 5:10 p.m. He dug Paul free, finding him without breath or pulse.

He performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation until rescuers arrived a short time later. Paul Maniaci never responded and CPR ceased at 6:05 p.m.

County Coroner Bob Campbell said Paul Maniaci died of trauma and suffocation caused by the avalanche. The avalanche center reported the slide buried the victim 4 feet deep.

Avalanche danger the afternoon of the incident was predicted to be low, a condition when avalanches are unlikely except in isolated pockets.

“Clearing skies late in the day and warm temperatures likely played a role in this event,” forecasters said Sunday morning. “Backcountry travelers need to pay attention to the signs of significant warming and alter their plans accordingly. These signs progress from sunballs to pinwheels to wet-loose sloughs.”

The avalanche report is updated twice a day and is available at www.jhavalanche.org or by telephone at 733-2664.

Paul Maniaci was to celebrate a birthday Sunday. He is survived by his wife, Jessica, who was visiting the area with him, Campbell said. Pete Maniaci is the manager of Peaked Sports in Driggs, Idaho. A public service for his brother is expected to be announced soon.

Because of avalanche danger, difficult terrain and other safety issues, Teton County Search and Rescue did not recover the body until Sunday.

Paul Maniaci is the second avalanche victim to die in Teton County, Wyo., this winter.

That is so incredibly sad. My deepest condolences go out to his family and friends.
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

that is sad thanks i dont think that i know him but sounds like another big loss for the skiing community god bless

turn off cell (should already be off), locate partner, dig him/her out, THEN turn on cell, call for help.

120 seconds wasted making a cell call could make the difference.

IMHO

shitty deal. +vibes

EDIT: 5 PM?!? whoa, super warm the past few days here, that seems really late in the day. Spring conditions apply (as noted).
    Last edited by LaramieSkiBum; 03-11-2007 at 09:51 PM.

so so unfortunate

my prayers are with this family, what a tragic day.

even with all the right equipment--beacon, probe, shovel etc, nature is still the most powerful element and must be respected. even though reports may show low avy danger, we must always be super careful when playing in the mountains.

be careful out there my fellow snow rippers.

+++Very sad, my thoughts and prayers go out to their family. I can't even begin to fathom how I would feel if something like this happened to my brother.+++
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible" -Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

tomw_n is offline hucksville, wasatch front
    vibes to the guy's family & loved ones. point noted about cellphone. nine minutes to get the guy found and dug from 4ft below, in wet snow, is fast. such a shame it sounds like trauma killed him.
    Last edited by tomw_n; 03-11-2007 at 11:33 PM.
    If I come off as smug or self-rightous or arrogant, well, it's because this is the internet and you haven't seen me ski. - Highway Star RIP

Sad story. His brother must be really suffering too.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Rev View Post
    Sad story. His brother must be really suffering too.
    I almost hope that trauma is determined as the cause of death because it would be so hard for the brother to live his life wondering about any "extra seconds" he might have wasted, or if his decision with the cell phone, etc... might have been the difference. Even if he panicked, it was still a pretty good response time, especially buried at 4 feet.

Prayers to the family...

super fast recovery, 9 minutes...

But 4' would take a lifetime to dig. How terrifying to have to dig that long.

how horrifying to have to do a search not only for a friend but for a brother/family member.

the warm temps have made things scary as they melt out... you're sinking pretty deep damn deep in the untracked even as early as 11am. 5 is, well, late.

Quote Originally Posted by LaramieSkiBum View Post
    turn off cell (should already be off), locate partner, dig him/her out, THEN turn on cell, call for help.

120 seconds wasted making a cell call could make the difference.
    From my understanding, the phone call came in to him as he was running down the slope to find his brother.
    Teton AT
    Live to Ski!

Paul was a good friend of mine, WE worked together on WEstern Sate Mountain REscue. He will be dearly missed in that community. My condolences to his wife, brother, and family. Paul, you will always be in our hearts... be safe out there!
    Doug

Paul was also a great friend of mine, every memory I have and all of times we sharred were some of the happiest in my life. It won't be the same without you, you will be missed! Not a single Hartmans ride will go by without a smile for you. Happy thoughts and memories for Jessica, Joe and Pete, Daven, Sarah and Brian.
    Dena

Quote Originally Posted by randosteve View Post
    From my understanding, the phone call came in to him as he was running down the slope to find his brother.
    heavy situation. Obviously more details need to come out. I thought they were both caught in the slide. (i guess so if his skis were off).

that said, I still got to believe that search first, call for help later, applies...imho

After spending last week skiing with my bro that is especially hard breaking for me to hear. I remember him saying, "well, love you bro" before dropping into a sketchy chute we were both a little scared of. I can't imagine my heartbreak if something like that had happened to us. +++++++++++vibes+++++++++++++++++
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

sad to hear such heartbreaking news for a fellow WSC alum. It sounds like an absolute stunning effort from his brother. that kind of digging followed by almost an hour of CPR is heroic (sp).....

-aaron

So sad to hear of another avi death. Prayers and vibes go out to family and friends.

telehappy; is that you Dena, drop me a line, dfs80@hotmail.com
    Doug

Hi folks, just got back from the desert, Mt. Biking...on a trip that USUALLY includes Pete.
    We got the call from Kayla, pete's girlfriend, before the heli's had even started flying, because one of the guys in our group is SAR.

We were floored, stunned, and helpless.

Pete worked for me for years, and is one of my best riding buddies. I don't even know how to talk to him about this. It is so, so sad. I can't even imaging the sense of guilt and loss.

Once again, we are reeling up here, Teton Valley is SO small, when one goes down, we all are touched.

Godspeed.

Awww jeez W, I knew you were at Gooseberry when this went down. It has been a crazy few days. At least you knew right away, didn't find out on the internet or when you got back.

So sorry. A bunch of us snow geeks put together the report- I can send it to you if you like. I am giving Pete some time before I get his take on the human factor and decision-making. The bad season and ugly snowpack got up close and personal.

I am off to Commissary with a college group- will be out mid-day on Thursday.
    lw