TR: Mount Bohemia 2/15-2/18

I'm a long-time lurker/infrequent poster here, but thought I'd take a stab at starting my own TR thread and see what happens. Please be gentle on me as my self-esteem bruises easily. I know this TR is a month old, but I've been super lazy on posting it. My apologies, but I thought since there wasn't that many Mt Bohemia trip reports here, I could help add to the mix. Please also note there is a lot of sarcasm in this post, as you may be able to detect.

We started out a few days before at Welch Village in Middle of Nowhere, MN, where we got to demo next year's skis for two days. The snow was less than optimal--no shock here--but Welch worked with what they had and did a pretty good job. Mostly, these two days at Welch Village were spent demoing, drinking, and smoking lots of cigarettes. I also brought my Wii which was a pretty big hit. To start the thread out right, I give you this picture:

Along the way, I also picked up a pair of Elizabeths that we spent burning the midnight oil to install. Obligatory New Ski Picture follows, please focus all your attention on the Elizabeths and not on the poopy Seth Pistols or Titan 9s. I hear both skis are really bad and you should not ski them, I guess the Seths are really good for slaloming only and the Titan 9s are super super noodly:

Moving right along, we skied our two days at Welch, then immediately packed up and shot back up Minnesota, through Wisconsin, and into Michigan's UP where we were magically teleported back in time 20 years, in both fashion and mentality. And on top of it, cars have been replaced with snowmobiles:

However, despite the closed-mindedness and general scowls of the citizens of the UP, the snow was deep and beautiful. We arrived just on the cusp of a small lake-effect snowstorm that dumped about 8-10:

We checked into our can't-believe-it-meets-some-sort-of-health-code motel (which had a TV that was NOT compatible with my Wii, shock), geared up, and headed for Mt Bohemia. The snow only got better:

We picked up our $99 season passes that we purchased and finally got to use due to poor, poor snow conditions. Mt Bohemia has a complex system for tracking season pass holders: in consists of two sets of eight binders, four large file boxes, and a Polaroid instant camera. One set of eight binders seems utterly useless, but whatever works. After getting our passes--which look ridiculously easy to create at home--we hit the snow. At this point, I will simply let the pictures do the talking:

We found a new section of Bohemia, called the "Outer Limits." We had talked to a patroller to help us locate it (note: Mt Bohemia's trail map is fucking useless. I think it was done with MS Paint.) He told us how to get there, and we asked him how the snow was. He said "tracked up." As the pictures above illustrate, this was just so not true. Although there was a little hiking involved for some of the turns. Here's me, wishing I hadn't smoked and drank so much the past few days after a nice hike in the "Outer Limits:"

We got in a few hours of skiing, went back to the parking lot and de-geared, then had a celebratory beer. There were some locals doing the same, and when it was time to go, they simply piled into their vehicles--beer in hand--and took off. Another world, indeed. While watching the locals drive off, wondering if there's even cops this remote, we admired my friend's lovely core shot on his Seth Pistols. It was deep and very long. He was sad, especially when we remembered we didn't have any Ptex. We headed to the Patroller's Yurt and a ridiculously gorgeous female ski patroller hooked us up. We then spent the rest of the night drinking Coors light, watching scratchy TV, and Ptexing:

Before we passed out, we got the lowdown on the weather: small traces of lake effect snow was expected...

...and we got it. 4-5" to be exact of it. Soft, fluffy white stuff:

It was snowing when we arrived about an hour after first chair that morning and we immediately noticed the huge amount of gapers that were skiing at Bohemia that day (it *was* Saturday). We even saw kids and adults on snow blades/snowler blades. Fucking snowler blades. On a hill that isn't groomed ever. Bohemia prides itself on maintaing a "backcountry"-style resort by limiting the amount of maintenance it does on the hill and not owning a single snowgun or groomer. They uphold this image well, but their other pride-and-joy image is the slogan "No beginners allowed." This was obviously right out the window as little kids wedged down head-high natural moguls, Bogarting the rest of the terrain for the hard-chargers. The snowler blades, too, ruined that tough "no beginners" thing for Bohemia to do. We thought it best to dip into the "Extreme Backcountry" where the snow should have still be good from days before, and on top of it, had the new freshies to enjoy. We didn't stop for any pictures so we could enjoy the snow. Then a little later in the morning, the snow broke and it became completely bluebird. We then found a great little cliff band that was just a tad too exposed to do anything with, but did make an excellent picture:

We spent the whole morning in the "Extreme Backcountry" playing around on cliffs and other natural features. Again, I will let the photos do the talking:

The views from the front side of Bohemia (where the "Extreme Backcountry" is) are just beautiful. Lake Superior at it's finest (and coldest):

A picture of a dog:

Our legs were burning from most enjoyable of turns, so we stopped for a gourmet lunch of insta-Dinty Moore and PowerAde at the yurts (Bohemia has no "permanent" buildings, only yurts). After lunch, we decided it was time to poach some cliffs located smack dab in the middle of the hill. The lifts run right next to the cliffs, so there was plenty of heckling and cheering from the passer-bys:

Here's a good before-and-after of my friend's first tracks over one cliff. He stuck it, but not so clean. Observe:

We lapped these cliffs about three times, the second attempt he nailed it. The snow was so deep and fluffy that your landings were just beautiful, but if you got too squirrelly, the snow would toss you (see above). We were pretty beat up, but made a few more passes at the "Extreme Backcountry." Bohemia only has two lifts, one that services the front side at the base yurts, and the other that faces the lake, that services the "Bear Den" area and now the new "Outer Limits." In betweenst these areas lie the "Extreme Backcountry" with no cat out or other easy access to a lift, so they have "backcountry bus" that comes and picks you up. The exit from the "Extreme Backcountry" and waiting for the bus to show up:

By day's end, we were beat and in need of another celebratory beer. We enjoyed, went back to the "motel" and crashed. Sunday we arrived to a mostly skied-out resort, but we still managed to play around (mostly on the wondefully soft natural moguls) and have fun. The Elizabeths totally killed it for this type of lax, easy skiing. I didn't take any pictures this day as we figured there wasn't much that was going to be exciting, and we just wanted to charge without having to stop while I fucked around with the camera. I did take one closing picture as we left Bohemia:

All in all, it was a great trip. I hope you enjoyed, I hope it wasn't too wordy, and I'm sure I'll have another TR again soon when I head back to Bohemia. But first, back to Utah this week! Woo hoo! I'll now take comments/questions/smarmy remarks from the masses! Just remember, I love you all!

Quote Originally Posted by fonixmunkee View Post

Nice! Awesome report, good to see pics from the old stomping grounds.

Yoopers may look grizzled and angry but they are all fairly harmless and the nicest people ever.

The word from some of my friends back there was that this season was a bust but that doesn't seem to be the case although the coverage does seem to be low..or for bohemia...average.

Here is a pic from damn near exactly one year ago of the same cliffs

....cue up "Glory Days"...

This was right after a huge snowstorm of wet sticky snow so the coverage looks way better than it actually was, but still, it looks a ton better than it does right now.

...maybe next time you'll send it from the top

Last edited by rip; 03-11-2007 at 05:20 PM.

full faces, dude on dude, the midwest, and 169 fatties

noice

Good work!

Nice work. Good to see the home state TR's. As for the hottie patroller, I have a feeling it's the blond, who is a good friend of mine, I'll be sure to let her know.

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    Nice work. Good to see the home state TR's. As for the hottie patroller, I have a feeling it's the blond, who is a good friend of mine, I'll be sure to let her know.
    It is a blonde. And if she also works in the area at a dining establishment, then we are talking the same person. Tell her thanks for the Ptex and hopefully I will see her again (and not in her sled). =)
    Last edited by fonixmunkee; 03-11-2007 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Cause I's stupids

Thumbs up I'd spatulate that!

Good work!!! I've actually always wanted to see a pow TR from Bohemia.

Cover looked thin but quality!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Nice report! I like this picture of the overall resort, thanks for posting it up.

have always been curious about bohemia...terrain looks as good and challenging as i've heard, and looks like you had some nice snow to play in.
    nice pics, good work...and thanks for sharing

Nice job on the TR. Looks like you got one of the few good days there this year.
    The coefficent of desireability is inversly proportionate to the degree of availability.

Nice....

The best pow day of my LIFE was at Mt Bohemia 4 years ago...and I mean BEST!!! 42" of lake effect, 10 degree temps, all on top of a 130" base! Lots more snow than this year, but still looks good. I guess we can go back to calling it "Mt Coreshot"...

Either way, not too bad! If the Midwest Mags every make it out to Colorado, we can show you some REAL cliffs...

JK, great job...keep it up!

Skier Bill asks "Do you find it difficult to ski when your invisible."

Nice TR. I have always wanted to get up to the U.P. My buddy Max is from Houghton. He did some of the electrical work up there at Bohemia.

The stories he tells me about the U.P. are the funniest things I have ever heard. Just this weekend at an Ultimate Frisbee tournament, he was telling us about his house back home. He had 6 brothers, so their house was like the afterhours party place. People would just crash there, and his parents were totally used to waking up to people sleeping all over the house. I guess one time, his buddy was woken in the morning by his mom throwing him off the dining room table. It was the last space left in the house to crash, so he had just laid out and slept there.

As for the backwards part, it would seem you are right. Max was also telling us his yooper drunk driving strategy this past weekend. When he has to drive home drunk he just shuts his lights off before every stop sign there, and if he doesn't see any lights coming, he blows all the signs. Sounds logical to me.

Be safe up there.

Nice, Id love to ride Bohemia one day before I die.
    Live Free or Die