Where should I go this summer to surf?

For the first time in my life, I have absolutely nothing going on this summer. I'm back in grad school, and I don't want to find a summer job - I want to go surfing.

I destroyed my ankle last fall, so I didn't have a ski season, and I'm just now getting back to almost 100% activity. I wrote off this years ski season - don't want to risk re-injuring myself - but I'm getting tired of just doing PT, riding my bike and swimming - The only thing I could do for the past 6 months was swim, so I managed to stay in alright shape.

So, where should I move to this summer to go surfing?

Where are you thinking about going?
    If you had a nickel for every nickel he has, you would have a lot of fuckin' nickels!

I have no idea - I've been told the summer is the rainy season in Mexico/Central America, which was my original plan. I'm looking for ideas...

I'm a similar situation and I'm hopefully going to sri lanka after working the salmon season in ak. I'm working on some stuff in morocco and an island in frend polynesia that I dont remember the name of because sri lankas civil war looks like it may be heating up. If your keen on going some place pretty undeveloped you could do some volunteering and get a free place and food.

Quote Originally Posted by Froman View Post
    I have no idea - I've been told the summer is the rainy season in Mexico/Central America, which was my original plan. I'm looking for ideas...
    Costa Rica picks up a nice southwest swell. Who gives a shit if it is raining? You will be in the water and wet anyway.
    If you had a nickel for every nickel he has, you would have a lot of fuckin' nickels!

GP- dumb question, but doesn't the water get super polluted from the rain runoff - or are the breaks far enough away from towns in Costa Rica where that isn't a problem?

Pollard - great idea. Any suggestions for organizations to volunteer with? I know of a couple at school that I'll check out.

I know in nicaragua the fish die off when the rains come because of the overuse of pesticides that have been illeagal in the states since the 50s

Here are some links for find volunteer positions

http://www.idealist.org/if/as/Volunt...7728894-81-UEQ

http://www.volunteersouthamerica.net/

There are a bunch of links to other sites at the bottom of this list

http://www.independentvolunteer.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php

mainland mex
    fine

I've traveled in Costa Rica extensively in both the U.S. Summer (their rainy season) and the U.S. Winter (their dry season). I much preferred the rainy season because a) its less crowded and cheaper, b) the predominant southwest swell makes places like Pavones (one of the longest lefts on earth) go off, and c) the rain makes the vegetation greener and gives it more of the tropical feel that you expect. The rainy season doesn't mean that it rains all the time, just that they get frequent afternoon/evening thunderstorms (just like CO in the summer). Mornings are generally bluebird. I never noticed any issues with ocean water quality because of the rain, but the tap water will be brown (I wouldn't drink it anyway). Outside of Costa Rica, you really can't go wrong heading anywhere from Sayulita, north of Puerto Vallarta, all the way down to Panama.

Peru. Chile. Indonesia. S Africa. Philippines. Brazil.
    Elvis has left the building

off topic altasnob you still surf in wa?

Mex. A few hours south of San Diego would be easy.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Quote Originally Posted by pollard View Post
    off topic altasnob you still surf in wa?
    Ya, I get out from time to time, mainly in the summer. Westport is closest to where I live but I also go up to the Straight and La Push, or down to Oregon (where I grew up surfing). PM me if you're ever up for a weekend trip.

^^^ I fully expect to be in WA surf mode by May.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Chile good surf and skiing.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

The easiest place to go is Costa Rica, unless you feel like a loser hanging with all the other loser gringo kooks there. But if you are OK with that then it is safe (thus all the gringo kooks) the waves are easy (thus all the gringo kooks) and it is sort of inexpensive. It does not rain all day. Like someone already said, it just hits hard in the afternoon for a few hours and then usually backs off. Anywhere from Guerrero Negro (Baja) south is better in our summer months. Even though CR is north of the equator, they still call June, July...winter. I have never seen a fish kill from runoff, and have spent several years from Mex to panama. Maybe it has happened, but nothing to stop you.

In Nov-Mar north CR gets heavy offshore wind (papagayos) at places like Roca Bruja, Ollies, etc and it would be tough for a beginner, and the swell is small alot (ie flat) May-Sept is way better for surf.

I would say for a beginner who wants other stuff to do rather than just go feral and dial in a hard core spot then go to CR.

Mainland Mexico gets big in the summer. Really big. And the areas easy to surf like PV are winter spots.

Sweet JS - Thanks for the info.

I'm a gringo kook, and I guess I'm cool with it, for now - at least I don't try to fake it.

Might be heading to Costa Rica this summer...

Costa rica is done

El Sal. is the place to go.. Lots of right points, way less people.
    Cheap uncrowded,like Costa used to be
    Get a guide, or package w/ hotel and transfers.
    If I had a nickel for every wave I caught, I would have a shit load of nickels.

because of sri lankas war I've had to cancel my plans. but I'm looking at going to morocco now.

on the WA side of things I was out yesterday and there have been a couple sightings of a "large" shark munching seals in greys harbor

pollard, i wouldn't waste my time on morroco as i spent many years there as a surf bum and smuggler and the most consistent and best spot was ruined in the 70's when they dredged out the river mouth and deepened it at Mehdia Plage. Anchor Point etc is really inconsistant and you have to be really lucky to get much quality surf.

You could come to the other WA - Western Australia. 3hrs south of me is the Margaret River area. Literally 100 breaks with < 100 people surfing on any given weekday in a 50mi stretch of coast. The downside is you'll need a car or make friends quickly with someone who has one, and it's our winter so it can get coldish (but not PNW cold, more like 3/2 wetsuit cold). The upsides are our winter == big swells, Margaret River is almost more famous for their quality wines than waves these days, and the area has always had a reputation for excellent flora of the homegrown variety if that's your thing. It's no doubt more expensive than Latin America but there it's a different alternative.

just a little update: I'm probably gonna end up in Sri Lanka if the visa situation works itself out but if not I'm doing a tour of west africa

Froman you decide where your going?

Things changed up and I'll be in Jackson, WY this summer. Not what I planned, but I'm psyched to be heading up there for the summer and it'll probably turn into a full time gig when I'm done with school. Might make it down to CR for a couple weeks in August before school starts. Thanks for all the suggestions and have a good time is Sri Lanka - hope the visa works out for you.