Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Got my roll...

My roll dissappeared over the winter.

I took a class in the fall, and got it pretty quick, determined to learn to paddle this year. I got a new (used) boat, borrowed paddle, and now I can't even come close in the pool.

It's pretty frustrating, but I know I'll get it back.

I think my paddle is a bit short for me, does this make a big difference in rolling? It's shorter than the one I learned on,not sure of the size though.

Smile Outta da pool inta da river!

God damn the that waters cold !

We'll it happened, on Sunday I found my self feeling a lot like a over stuffed sausage as I assessed the copious amount of gear that I had borrowed.
    -long johns, top and bottom, wool socks, fleece sweater (didn't need to borrow these)
    -farmer john wet suit, dry top, booties, neoprene mits, skull cap, brain bucket, life jacket, spray skirt...

A brief safety meeting (no weed, actual safety talk ) where the universal language of paddle pointing/waving etc. was explained, as well as how to swim (the beers for gear collection policy), and things to pay close attention to on the river was completed standing on a snowy bank. then into the boats and into a pool on the willow river.

After a couple minutes of getting a feel for the boat it was time to give a couple of practice rolls cold really cold.

Partners were assigned and then the world of moving water was entered ... a little practice eddying in and out and then we were off. It didn't take long before I caught an edge (this use of the term where there is no snow underski is going to allow me to catch my edges in two seasons; ski and paddle, I'm not impressed ) and earned my first combat roll . The rest of the afternoon was roll free. I will need a lot more work on getting a good forward stroke since getting to where I need to go is still not a straight line.

Can't wait to get cold wet and uncomfortable again.

^ man your lucky, I just broke my thumb playing lacrosse and cant oat for the good time of 6 weeks.!!
    -I hate albany-
    ns

Sweet, glad you had a good time...it only gets better from here. Minding your edges takes time and lots of anticipation, just like skiing and riding.

Abdominal muscles are your friend.

Sounds like a slightly colder day than normal since you were so cold or your buddies gave you their nasty leftover hand-me-downs. I boated all throughtout the winter here and it's really not too bad. Also, when you're running more challenging water, you'll be paddling a lot harder which keeps you much warmer.

Keep at it.

got into a pool session last night

Was my first time in a WW kayak. My rolling has all been done in a sea kayak so it was weird

Haven't tried rolling since thanksgiving. And i nailed my first one. Good feeling. My strong side roll was about 90-95% there. Only missed a couple of em when i wasn't paying attention. Didn't really do much on the offside except for the end when i was tired, and i just missed it.

Was amazed that i was actually able to scull too considering i had never done it and only had watched someone do it.

I got into the pool this past weekend as well. No problems with my on side roll, tried various forms(sweep, back-deck, c-to-c) and made it up everytime. My offside on the other hand, is not too hot. Only made it up 2/3rds of the time and it aint strong. Tried some hand rolls, but I've yet to hand roll my Jackson Fun. I could hand roll both my old Big EZ and Centrifuge. I don't know, maybe I'm just out of practice and just need to work a little harder on getting that explosive hip snap and keeping the head down.
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    Tried some hand rolls, but I've yet to hand roll my Jackson Fun. I could hand roll both my old Big EZ and Centrifuge.
    Heh, Im on bummed boat #3,456 this spring and am having the opposite problem with an older Jackson Superstar. I can hand roll the fucker but my c to c is sketchy. There's always the back deck though which is flawless right now and keeps me from swimming....until my face finds a rock.

Boats Ive had zero trouble with in the past month:
    Riot Astro 58 & 54, Magnum
    Dagger Agent 6.4
    LL Ronin 59
    Jackson 4 Fun
    Mega Rocker, Jefe, SCUD
    Dagger RX 6.9 (rolls itself)

The Superstar seems to kick my ass though.
    Last edited by ridinshockgun; 04-26-2007 at 09:12 AM.

North of South, South of North, West of East
    Quote Originally Posted by ridinshockgun View Post
    The Superstar seems to kick my ass though.
    That's cause you suck.
    I should probably change my username to IReallyDon'tTeleMuchAnymoreDave.

Quote Originally Posted by teledave View Post
    That's cause you suck.
    Don't worry, it won't win.

How are the standings for Swim Queen 07 going right now????
    Last edited by ridinshockgun; 04-26-2007 at 07:25 PM.

In the pool again last night. I nailed two handrolls at the end! was pretty excited about that. Got to try out my friends Superstar. Was pretty cush, way nicer and easier to roll than the lil Joes.

still can't hit my offside though. But each time i blew it, i was able to practice my onside

Quote Originally Posted by crackboy View Post
    still can't hit my offside though. But each time i blew it, i was able to practice my onside
    Don't know if this will be good news or bad but I thought learning my offside was harder to learn after two years of paddling than my onside was initially. It's still ugly but works in a pinch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

i wan't keeping my head down, almost got them at the end but was getting tired and my hip flexors were sore as hell from playing soccer this weekend.

just going to keep pluggin away
    Last edited by crackboy; 05-02-2007 at 11:08 AM.

had my second day on moving water last night. Ferrying is a skill that will take more time, trying to ferry however is helping me rack up a lot of unexpected rolls.

ah I cant wait, first day on the water comeing up this weekend!!
    -I hate albany-
    ns

got my combat roll twice in a row this weekend..

First time in a boat in 5 + months, first rapid a class 4 50 foot 60 degree slide, greased it, then played with my roll next 1/2 mile flat water....

a few rapids later, flip, roll, beat down, roll, beat down, swim...

Next day.. same thing all good then flip, roll perfect, happy.... next drop, get pinned on a rock, flip, another great roll...

So I am stoked on my new found semi confidence...
    -I hate albany-
    ns

Blurred coached me and I got my Roll in my Z boat... 1 successfull roll in the pool /w no PFD. It is a backdeck that looks something like this one:

I guess Blurred taught me well because I was able to teach PmcPoser in his Jive, by description alone, no demos in my boat, and HE NAILED THE THING DOWN IN 50 MINUTES HAVING NEVER BEEN IN A KAYAK BEFORE. The guy is a natural!

Then I got in and was able to do it on my first try after 2 weeks. I managed to get in one successfull offside... having a PFD makes it easier I think.
    Last edited by Summit; 07-08-2007 at 01:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I was able to teach PmcPoser in his Jive, by description alone, no demos in my boat, and HE NAILED THE THING DOWN IN 50 MINUTES HAVING NEVER BEEN IN A KAYAK BEFORE. The guy is a natural!
    Awww shucks.

From the sound of this thread you're trying to teach me a harder roll than some others that exist. fag.